BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time again...time for an oil change :thumbsup:

I don't tend to drive the M5 as much any more, so oil changes are much farther apart. I drove the M5 21.5k miles in the first year, and only 3.5k miles in the last 8 months. I change the oil every 5k, and that's where I am today (25k miles).

If any of you remember member Naka's DIY oil change procedure, it was very clear and easy to follow:

Naka's DIY Oil Change

So I set out on Saturday to change my oil. Unfortunately, prior obligations prevented me from starting at my usual 6:00AM, and I was unable to begin until nearly 3PM. :grrrrr:

First, I warmed up the car, then put it up on ramps and let the oil drain down to the pan:

While it was draining down, I prepared all of the necessary tools and products:

Next, I opened the hood, removed the oil filler cap and dipstick:

Then I drained the oil (this took quite some time today...probably 25 minutes). At the same time, I removed the oil filter.

Next, I prepared the filter and plug with new seals, etc.:

I also like to clean off the filler cap and dipstick seals very well and apply a thin film of oil to insure that they seal well (don't want to repeat the "spewing" oil incident):

The plug went back in, and now I've got everything else ready to refill (dang, my martini's almost empty :grrrrr: ):

Filled up with oil, I replace the cap and dipstick. I ran it for a short bit to get it circulating, shut off, and rechecked. Added about 1/4 qt. to fill it up, and I'm good to go :thumbsup:

Now if I can just figure out what this part is for hmmm :

Hope y'all had a great weekend :M5thumbs:

:cheers:

·
10,445 Posts
M-Fünf said:
It's that time again...time for an oil change :thumbsup:

Nice write up Jeff.
Of course, that is the M3's spare crank. Don't they include one of those in the e46 M3 tool kit now? :hihi:

Very envious of your garage, both the contents and the size.
Mike

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mottati said:
Nice write up Jeff.
Of course, that is the M3's spare crank. Don't they include one of those in the e46 M3 tool kit now? :hihi:
hehe... yeah, that's what I read over on the M3 board, but I'm hoping they got all the bugs worked out before the '04 MY. :3:

mottati said:
Very envious of your garage, both the contents and the size.
Mike
Thanks, Mike :M5thumbs: We were really lucky to find the house we wanted and get this bonus garage to boot...If you need space for a weekend "project", just let me know...It's nice to have the space to spread out to work on the cars. Now the GF wants a weekend "toy" since we've got the space... :1:

·
10,445 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Now the GF wants a weekend "toy" since we've got the space... :1:
That is the problem with space, if you can call it a problem. The desire to fill it...
Mike

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bayerischemotor said:
But you are using the wrong oil there mate:)

Castrol TWS 10W-60 i hear someone whispering at BMW M in Garching...

;) 5W-30 for me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Better half??? grrrrrrr J/K

Doing fine...She's really loving the M3, and is ready for the Advanced M course, but with the wedding plans and all we'll probably wait until next Fall to take that course. That is, of course, unless remodeling plans get in the way.

Did you guys ever make it out this way? I didn't hear from you hmmm

·
Registered
312 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Better half??? grrrrrrr J/K

Did you guys ever make it out this way? I didn't hear from you hmmm
Ummm. . . cuter half??? :p

We were out for a weekend in October, but we were juggling 3 sets of in-laws (his sis and her hubby, his dad and step-mom, and his sis's FIL, BIL, SIL, and cousin-in-law). What a mess. . . we really need to get away for a long weekend without having to worry about 8 other people want EVERYONE to do. And to top it all off, we both caught a nasty bug on the flight home. blech.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mrs_Struth said:
Ummm. . . cuter half??? :p
I'll give you that :hihi:

Sounds like you had a full dance card. Ah well, next time.

Did you get the E-Mail from Donnie about the Z4 weekend trips in Ashville? I'd go, except I wasn't that impressed with the Z4's...Maybe M3 cab's, or even the E60 M5, now that would get me back down there... :1:

On Topic: I lifted the hood today and looked at the engine. It seems that cleaning off the oil cap and placing a thin film of fresh oil on the seal seems to prevent leakage. Of course, I've only driven it about 2 days, so I'll keep an eye on it to see if it leaks again...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess since I changed photo hosting services, all my pictures were not able to be viewed...and I was asked if I could put them up again, so here they are...

===================================

It's that time again...time for an oil change

I don't tend to drive the M5 as much any more, so oil changes are much farther apart. I drove the M5 21.5k miles in the first year, and only 3.5k miles in the last 8 months. I change the oil every 5k, and that's where I am today (25k miles).

If any of you remember member Naka's DIY oil change procedure, it was very clear and easy to follow:

Naka's DIY Oil Change

So I set out on Saturday to change my oil. Unfortunately, prior obligations prevented me from starting at my usual 6:00AM, and I was unable to begin until nearly 3PM.

First, I warmed up the car, then put it up on ramps and let the oil drain down to the pan:

While it was draining down, I prepared all of the necessary tools and products:

Next, I opened the hood, removed the oil filler cap and dipstick:

Then I drained the oil (this took quite some time today...probably 25 minutes). At the same time, I removed the oil filter.

Next, I prepared the filter and plug with new seals, etc.:

I also like to clean off the filler cap and dipstick seals very well and apply a thin film of oil to insure that they seal well (don't want to repeat the "spewing" oil incident):
The plug went back in, and now I've got everything else ready to refill (dang, my martini's almost empty ):

Filled up with oil, I replace the cap and dipstick. I ran it for a short bit to get it circulating, shut off, and rechecked. Added about 1/4 qt. to fill it up, and I'm good to go

Hope y'all had a great weekend

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Thanks for reposting the picutures!

How/where does one drain the oil out?

I hope that is Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray Ten!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
KevinM said:
How/where does one drain the oil out?
Ah, I see that Naka's pictures aren't showing up anymore. The oil drain plug is under a small cover located on the lower engine plastic cover. It pops out easily after you loosen the screw that holds it on. Once off, you'll see the drain plug, which is located on the BOTTOM of the pan (unlike most american cars) which allows the oil to drain straight down (very neatly).
KevinM said:
I hope that is Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray Ten!
Close, but wrong on both counts...It's Tanqueray Malacca, which I can't find anymore :crying:

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Close, but wrong on both counts...It's Tanqueray Malacca, which I can't find anymore :crying:
I should have known it was Malacca! Like you, I have not been able to find it for a bit...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts