BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned on my car yesterday morning to find that the TPMS was warning me of a tire with low pressure. I checked and sure enough my left rear was about 6 psi lower than the others. When I got out of my car later I saw a nail towards the outside edge of the tire. I went to a tire shop and they patched the tire, but I'm concerned about the resiliency at high loads.

Should I get a new tire?

This set has about 5,000 miles on them; if get just a new left rear tire will the disparity in tread depth from left to right be an issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
As long as the patch is not on the sidewall, I would not be concerned. And as they certainly would not have repaired it if it were in the sidewall, you should be fine.

As far as your question to replace all tires...

If you decide on a new tire, a matching new tire opposite would not be a bad idea. Since it is rear, the rears tend to wear faster anyway. Personally, I would replace both rear tires, but that's just me and according to some I have more money than sense, so what do I know? lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Turned on my car yesterday morning to find that the TPMS was warning me of a tire with low pressure. I checked and sure enough my left rear was about 6 psi lower than the others. When I got out of my car later I saw a nail towards the outside edge of the tire. I went to a tire shop and they patched the tire, but I'm concerned about the resiliency at high loads.

Should I get a new tire?

This set has about 5,000 miles on them; if get just a new left rear tire will the disparity in tread depth from left to right be an issue?

Thanks
blane!!! What's up man? You need to hook up with us when we do our meets. We are going to be attending the M school on April 15th you should come. With regards to your question replace that tires asap. I once patched a tire and had it blow on me on the highway @ 90 mph and it wasn't fun the CAF completely lost control and could of easily caused an accident. Its a small price to pay for your safety. The one thing you dont play with on a car is tires imagine that tire blowing @ 140? That could be the end. Buy a new tire/ set period! Be safe out there man.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
It is very interesting how many different opinions you may recieve....some by inexperienced people and some by people in the know...
Do you drive over 75 mph? Put the tire aside for an emergency, replace it....the other side will be Very Fine at 5k miles....Lets see how many experts are out there, this wll be fun.....? Good Luck brother...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve (8320): BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Two words: tire insurance. Best money spent with regards to tires (and wheels if you opt for the full thing). With all of the construction going on here in Vegas (although a lot less now), it is money well spent.

I would replace it. Just for peace of mind and most importantly safety. On my pickup truck? Maybe not. On a $100k sportscar? Definitely.

Just my opinion. Not an expert by any means :)

-David

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It is very interesting how many different opinions you may recieve....some by inexperienced people and some by people in the know...
Do you drive over 75 mph? Put the tire aside for an emergency, replace it....the other side will be Very Fine at 5k miles....Lets see how many experts are out there, this wll be fun.....? Good Luck brother...
Unfound is precisely correct on this issue.:M5thumbs: Repair the tire and keep it as a spare. I did the same thing. I vacillated with the same decision when I had a nail in my rear tire. After much research and discussions. Replace tire!:applause:

There is a newer thread on this issue that I was viewing a couple of days ago. Do a search.;)

Good luck & :cheers:

·
Registered
174 Posts
With 5,000 miles on the tire, I would go ahead and replace both rears. +1 on the wheel/tire insurance. It's money well spent. I have it and got a nail in the rear - had it replaced, then went ahead and bought the matching one to keep things balanced.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
get a new tire.. safety.. blow outs are not cool and if you don't get into an accident you will be paying $$ to repaint the side of your car if the tire does any damage.

:lightbulb::lightbulb:speaking from experience.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
:2:
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve (8320): BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Two words: tire insurance. Best money spent with regards to tires (and wheels if you opt for the full thing). With all of the construction going on here in Vegas (although a lot less now), it is money well spent.

I would replace it. Just for peace of mind and most importantly safety. On my pickup truck? Maybe not. On a $100k sportscar? Definitely.

Just my opinion. Not an expert by any means :)

-David
:2::eek:oohhh: Tire insurance will not cover a nail in the tire, it will cover the tire if it CANNOT be fixed, side wall, too large a hole to be repaired, ply separation ect.....if it took a nail and can be repaired, insurance WON'T replace it....just, oops went flat and tire got cut in the process....DO NOT drive on it , they won't cover it either....

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
5K on a tire is NOTHING on a tire that HAS NOT been beat....keep it on.Replace only the bad one...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey walter how have you been. I'm definitely coming out to the next event.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I literally just put these rears on 4 months ago so its extremely frustrating that I picked up this nail. I just got back from the wheels shop I use, ordered the tire should be in tomorrow. Tire imperfections at high speeds do concern me a little plus I got some great advice from the board members so I just decided to do it. I hope there's no issue with traction or pulling since the left rear will have more tread than the right, but from what I've heard its not an issue. Thanks again everyone for the quality advice in no time at all. This is really what makes M5board one of the best forums on the internet. It really is great the connection that board members have.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Unfound is precisely correct on this issue.:M5thumbs: Repair the tire and keep it as a spare. I did the same thing. I vacillated with the same decision when I had a nail in my rear tire. After much research and discussions. Replace tire!:applause:

There is a newer thread on this issue that I was viewing a couple of days ago. Do a search.;)

Good luck & :cheers:
+1 absolutely..............I practice what I preach.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Patched one of my rear tires with about 2k miles on it. That was 10k miles ago and no problems. But patch was near center of tire where a couple of "tire experts" have told me to replace tires with nail/screw holes near the edge of the tire.

·
Registered
831 Posts
:2::2::eek:oohhh: Tire insurance will not cover a nail in the tire, it will cover the tire if it CANNOT be fixed, side wall, too large a hole to be repaired, ply separation ect.....if it took a nail and can be repaired, insurance WON'T replace it....just, oops went flat and tire got cut in the process....DO NOT drive on it , they won't cover it either....
Unless they have different types of tire insurance, mine covered the replacement of my tire. I got a nail 2 weeks after I picked up the car. But I did use that M Fix-a-Flat kit/goop. That might have made the tire unrepairable?:dunno:
Also, from what I understand, the policy covers whatever tire are on the car at the time of the incident. Does not have to be OEMs...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts