BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and worse it was not painted original color.....but that can be changed as well as the wrong stripes
Weird to me is the no AC option ......could this car really be ordered w/o AC?

·
Registered
140 Posts
What's going on with the side indicators on the front guard within the Alpina stripe? Is that for US federalization? Not very attractive...

·
Registered
79 Posts
bidding has ended...sold for $ 20,100 US: that is in line with expected price. The sale price in roundel ($ 38,500) was a bit optimistic. $ 20,100 plus some extra cost I am sure seems OK for a car with such low mileage and that seems in very good condition. Hopefully we will hear from the new owner.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I spoke to someone that knows this car (before it sold) - it was pretty rough, but most alpina stuff still on board.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PM sent - BTW nice collection of cars there Cbsydney......:grinyes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi David, I am not able to PM you, so I will reply here.

Indeed I am the new owner...As I said to Kees, it will only be known whether it is a good buy after I receive the car. I have just yesterday received confirmation from Alpina the car is genuine, so a good start. As a result, I've also been told an original plaque can be ordered no problem. The original deko set will be next. As far as the paint goes, it will likely be left for the time being. It would cost a good 10 grand to change that back...stripping the entire car back, engine and trunk compartments, door jams, etc...its a big job. When these cars are making 50-60 grand, it is easier to "invest" than at the moment when times are difficult, and well documented cars are making 30-40.

Y, it's easier for me to register a car here. For a pre 1989 car, I only have to fit child restraint hooks for the rear seats, and possibly side impact bars if they are not present. Otherwise, I just have the car gone over by an appointed engineer and he confirms the car conforms to our local safety standards.

As far as the state of the car now, Ben tells me it is as it looks...in good condition. While repainted, it is a good job and there is no graphite poking through. It has original seats refitted. Alpina F/R spoilers, the open lug 16s, the instruments, etc. The only thing missing is the plaque, which can be reordered. He says the problems are the rotors will need replacing soon, and the sunroof is inop. He says he is happy to fix these items, for a fee of course. The bad news is the car has zero docs, the only possibility being to obtain some Japanese records, which unfortunately, are all in Japanese. Again, I guess we'll see in a couple of months when it arrives.

Y, so the car joins Danny Minkin's E21 B6 2.8 and Andy Butler's E12 B7 Turbo, as well as 2 E34 B10 3.5s...one of which I am searching for a 4.6 V8 to convert. I'll upload some photos when my garage is finished being built in January.

Good to speak to you!

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Y, so the car joins Danny Minkin's E21 B6 2.8 and Andy Butler's E12 B7 Turbo
Both stunning examples! :checkeredflag:

Looking forward to seeing the E28 in similar condition!

BTW - did I ever introduce you to the person who restored your E12?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi David, I am not able to PM you, so I will reply here.

Indeed I am the new owner...As I said to Kees, it will only be known whether it is a good buy after I receive the car. I have just yesterday received confirmation from Alpina the car is genuine, so a good start. As a result, I've also been told an original plaque can be ordered no problem. The original deko set will be next. As far as the paint goes, it will likely be left for the time being. It would cost a good 10 grand to change that back...stripping the entire car back, engine and trunk compartments, door jams, etc...its a big job. When these cars are making 50-60 grand, it is easier to "invest" than at the moment when times are difficult, and well documented cars are making 30-40.

Y, it's easier for me to register a car here. For a pre 1989 car, I only have to fit child restraint hooks for the rear seats, and possibly side impact bars if they are not present. Otherwise, I just have the car gone over by an appointed engineer and he confirms the car conforms to our local safety standards.

As far as the state of the car now, Ben tells me it is as it looks...in good condition. While repainted, it is a good job and there is no graphite poking through. It has original seats refitted. Alpina F/R spoilers, the open lug 16s, the instruments, etc. The only thing missing is the plaque, which can be reordered. He says the problems are the rotors will need replacing soon, and the sunroof is inop. He says he is happy to fix these items, for a fee of course. The bad news is the car has zero docs, the only possibility being to obtain some Japanese records, which unfortunately, are all in Japanese. Again, I guess we'll see in a couple of months when it arrives.

Y, so the car joins Danny Minkin's E21 B6 2.8 and Andy Butler's E12 B7 Turbo, as well as 2 E34 B10 3.5s...one of which I am searching for a 4.6 V8 to convert. I'll upload some photos when my garage is finished being built in January.

Good to speak to you!

Chris

you have quite the collection Chris - this car will be right at home. Looking forward to pics...enjoy

cheers

David

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks guys...yes, the cars keep me busy, and I have a wife who not only tolerates, but encourages them!

For any other E28 B7 owners out there...the seller has said the car does not have A/C as that was where the turbo sits. Is this the case on all cars, or was perhaps the AC removed for other reasons?

·
Registered
302 Posts
It may well just be a non-a/c car, but not because of the turbo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do recall seeing this in some article, at least in the early years of the B7 in E28. So it would be interesting to hearfrom any B7 owner who do have in fact A/C.

CBSydney: how is it to drive alpina cars in Australia? Is speed limited? is it enforced "mad max style"? are the roads adequate for these cars?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mad Max, that would be great, especially commandeering gasoline! We do have a 110 km/h limit in most states. I believe in the Northern Territory, there is perhaps no limit, but no limit to the heat either. We are right hand drive here, and 3 of my Alpinas are left hand drive. It's really no issue except perhaps overtaking. Otherwise, the cars drive well, and the roads are in good shape as we don't have nasty winters to crumble them.

We do have speed cameras, or Civil Service ATMs, however you'd like to refer to them. Like everywhere else, the government has realized they can offset some of their poor investments in Lehman Bros by robbing the taxpayer under the guise of law enforcement.

City driving is getting much worse as Australia is letting in lots of immigrants and not widening the roads, however, a trip outside any capital city and the driving becomes quite enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Just speculating here but could the intercooler have used the same location as the BMW aircon heat exchanger on the early cars?
Maybe later BMW relocated the aircon heat exchanger or Alpina found a different place for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts