BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang!
My first post here, so please be kind to a newbeee! I have a blue 2000 M5 that has developed a low RPM miss under load when warm. Doesn't appear when cold and seems to only be present below 2000 RPM also not constant. My mechanic felt it was an oil ring issue and took it to a dealer who kept it 2 weeks and admitted experiencing the problem, but because the car throws no codes they say it isn't something they can fix.
Also have the telephone center console with no phone so would like to get a cubby or cup holder to replace this. Black interior. Any help on either item would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
mikeh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I am ordering it right away. Now if somebody can identify the miss it'll be like new!

mikeh

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board Mike :cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply but is it the Mass Air Flow meter and ????cps don't have a handle on that, I'm an old!!!! Chevy man if you can't hit it with the right size hammer it probably belongs in the hands of a real mechanic.

thanks
mikeh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I hear you. It runs soooo sweet that I just can not believe it has a serious flaw, it has 200 lbs of compression absolutley dead even throughout and runs at speed like a dream, But I want perfection, the better it runs the more I want.

Thanks for your help
mikeh

·
Registered
13 Posts
WELL MIKE, I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 2000, BUT IT REALLY DOES SUCK THAT SUCH A PROBLEM CAN REALLY BE SO DISTURBING, BUT FOR PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH THESE ENGINES YOU ARE RARELY GOING TO HAVE ANY KIND OF ENGINE PROBLEM IT IS PROBABLY ELECTRONIC. BUT PLEASE, IF YOU FIND OUT THE FIX PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I WILL ALSO KEEP YOU POSTED IF I FIND THE PROBLEM MYSELF. THIS WEEKEND I AM GOING FOR THE FUEL FILTER AND CHECKING THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR FOR CLEANLINESS.BUT ID DOES MEKE IT HARD WHEN THERE ARE NO CODES.:confused: ??????
mikeh said:
Yeah, I hear you. It runs soooo sweet that I just can not believe it has a serious flaw, it has 200 lbs of compression absolutley dead even throughout and runs at speed like a dream, But I want perfection, the better it runs the more I want.

Thanks for your help
mikeh

·
Registered
12,789 Posts
mikeh said:
Hi Gang!
My first post here, so please be kind to a newbeee! I have a blue 2000 M5 that has developed a low RPM miss under load when warm. Doesn't appear when cold and seems to only be present below 2000 RPM also not constant. My mechanic felt it was an oil ring issue and took it to a dealer who kept it 2 weeks and admitted experiencing the problem, but because the car throws no codes they say it isn't something they can fix.
Also have the telephone center console with no phone so would like to get a cubby or cup holder to replace this. Black interior. Any help on either item would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
mikeh
Mike
Each cylinder has an individual coil. Intermittant problem is hard to find, but check the coils (under the valve covers) and carefully inspect the wiring. Another lister on a different board had a similar problem and only discovered it by accident when he loosened a screw holding down one of the coils. Wire was chafed.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
400 Posts
You might want to inquire with your service rep about their competency. If they are experiencing the problem as well, and say they cannot address the problem because no fault codes are present, they are not servicing you.

Demand that they contact the local field service rep. You should be there when they come in for their once a month visit and inquire about how the dealer responded to your problem. This is rediculous.

If you are in the position to see another dealer , go that route.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actech, Hi ! I was recently told at a service center that my car is throwing codes for bad CPS.. The problem is that they told me there are 4 !!!!:crying: Is this true ? You say that you are going to get yours checked.. Can you please let me know where and wich one is the primary or common faulty CPS.. I thought there was only one for intake and 1 for exhaust.. Im really confused, Will appreciate any feedback from anyone.. ??????

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke with my son who is an Automotive engineer and deals with exaust emmission and engine management issues on a daily basis and I thought fuel filter and he said no way, it has to be electronic but he doesn't think cps because that would normally show itself at high RPM rather than low. Again it is not constant and without a code its shooting in the dark. I hope to get him and the car in the same place with his computer and maybe dig a little deeper during the Holidays. Otherwise I'll keep posting anything that I find.

Thanks for the input its nice to know I'm not loosing my mind!
mikeh

·
Registered
400 Posts
atlantisvip said:
Actech, Hi ! I was recently told at a service center that my car is throwing codes for bad CPS.. The problem is that they told me there are 4 !!!!:crying: Is this true ? You say that you are going to get yours checked.. Can you please let me know where and wich one is the primary or common faulty CPS.. I thought there was only one for intake and 1 for exhaust.. Im really confused, Will appreciate any feedback from anyone.. ??????
atlantisvip, your part right. There is one CPS for EACH intake and exhaust cam, there are two intake cams, and two exhaust cams, so 4 sensors total. There's an intake and exhaust cam for each bank of cylinders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts