BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just performed the facelift on my '99 build date 2000 MY M5 to some 2001 build date facelift headlights.

Are the 2000 non angel eye headlights worth anything? Better off parting them out for the ballasts? Mine need to be hit with a headlight restoration kit and the adjusters are all definitely broken, so they wouldn't get top dollar, whatever that is, anyway.

Let me know!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are just the 2001+ OEM Hella headlights Mike Trent sold me after he removed them in favor of some Depo lights.

Are you asking for pics of the old lights, the new ones I installed, or a comparison of the two?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
There's definitely a market for them. I sold my original ones for $150. I'm currently rocking a modified set while I perform some tweaks to the facelift ones.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
IMHO I would part out the ballasts (Worth maybe $80-$100 on their own) and sell the headlights seperately, worth maybe another $100-150 on their own for the right buyer

But that will be a few months of waiting for the right buyer. I think the M pre-facelift lights are different than the non-Ms, so maybe $200 complete? I'd spend 10 minutes on em polishing em out, good practice for if you need to do it on another set of lights in the future, and it adds a lot of value to the lights. If you dont have any proper polishing compound... use a soft rag and a little bit of toothpaste. Youll be amazed at what it will do

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used an entire 3M kit on each headlight (one kit per side) and the facelift ones came out great.

It takes a good amount of time to do it right, not to mention the cost of 2 3M kits. I didn't time myself, but it probably took a good hour and a half each side. Killed a couple of dewalt batteries in the process.

I'd be skeptical that rubbing some toothpaste on my MY2000 lights would do much of anything as they've got 140k miles of rock chips and scratches in them...they're quite hazy.

(Crappy Cell Phone Pics)
Picture of one facelift light installed and the MY2000 light it replaced:

Picture of the old light next to the new, restored light

Picture of passenger side after being restored and the drivers side prior to restoration:

I need to take some better ones outside.

IMHO I would part out the ballasts (Worth maybe $80-$100 on their own) and sell the headlights seperately, worth maybe another $100-150 on their own for the right buyer

But that will be a few months of waiting for the right buyer. I think the M pre-facelift lights are different than the non-Ms, so maybe $200 complete? I'd spend 10 minutes on em polishing em out, good practice for if you need to do it on another set of lights in the future, and it adds a lot of value to the lights. If you dont have any proper polishing compound... use a soft rag and a little bit of toothpaste. Youll be amazed at what it will do

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
It takes a good amount of time to do it right, not to mention the cost of 2 3M kits.
This is why I say use toothpaste, its cheaper than a kit and toothpaste mildly abrasive, serves the same function as the 3M kit essentially although much cheaper and not quite as thorough. Finish with some plastic polish, perhaps wax if you dont have any plastic polish, and they look quite proper. You can add a little baking soda as needed if you need more abrasion.

It sounds rather crude but it does work, though your prefacelift lights truthfully dont look that bad. Worst case scenario it doesnt work but I would spend a few minutes giving it a shot. Best case scenario you add $50 or more value to your lights.

Your car looks great with the facelift lights :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks! Looks like you also updated your foglights to the clear, 2001-03 items.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts