BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I would only be concerned about the quality of the glass. As stated earlier in the thread, it seems to be a crap shoot. When I had mine replaced, I used a reputable local chain of shops that only does auto glass repair/replacement. The tech was experienced, which was all I cared about, followed by the glass. I asked for OEM, they said your not going to get the glass directly from BMW, and that they use Plinkington who makes the glass for the OEM according to them. I didn't put up a fight. The installation was done well, save for a couple of dimples in the seal from the installation tool. There is a tiny bit of wave in the glass, but not noticeable unless looking for it. The only thing I've noticed now that it's been long term, is that it seems to be getting "sandblasted" much more quickly than the glass that was replaced. There are chips in it as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had my windshield replaced by Glass America in Springfield, VA and they ordered a windshield based off my Vin. Pilkington glass and new molding. No issues so far and held up well in the torrential rains yesterday. Anyone in the DC area that needs a windshield replacement I'd recommend them. Also said if any issues just come on back and they'd take care of it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
991 Posts
There is absolutely NO magic to the BMW TIS procedure for installing the windshield
Geez you sound an awful lot like Jose from Safelite. hiha

I realize there is nothing special about our chassis when it comes to the windshield. I have read your detailed posts on the subject and you are one of the few people that I feel comfortable taking advice from with regards to the windshield. I am not sure if you read my entire post but my main concern is getting the windshield installed poorly. Is it unreasonable that I want the windshield to be centered per BMWs tolerances? Or that I don't feel comfortable with a shop telling me it will never be as good as it currently is?

I would only be concerned about the quality of the glass.
Thanks. I will definitely be getting Pilkington glass if I ever get this done.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Geez you sound an awful lot like Jose from Safelite. hiha

I realize there is nothing special about our chassis when it comes to the windshield. I have read your detailed posts on the subject and you are one of the few people that I feel comfortable taking advice from with regards to the windshield. I am not sure if you read my entire post but my main concern is getting the windshield installed poorly. Is it unreasonable that I want the windshield to be centered per BMWs tolerances? Or that I don't feel comfortable with a shop telling me it will never be as good as it currently is?

It isn't unreasonable at all - the whole point is to have the install done properly. There isn't a lot of room for error as far as centering goes. There is some room with respect to height and that is pretty easy to discuss beforehand and measure right after.

How you can gauge in advance how the job will turn out is tough to know.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
i got to agree with Rob on this one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had the windshield in the 530i replaced today by Virginia Auto Glass • Replacement & Repair • Sterling, Va. in Gainesville VA, but they also have shops closer to the Beltway. The owner, Steve, had a Saint-Gobain Sekurit (made in Estonia) and a high quality Chinese windshield (with "rubber" surround already on the glass) ordered for the job.
We were replacing a badly pitted/distorted & poorly installed Chinese aftermarket piece (thanks to the previous owner). My car came with rain sensor/auto headlights features but the glass in the car did not have this option. The "spears" at the ends of the roof rails were both broken off and the plug for the rain sensor had been snipped off up behind the inside mirror. I sourced the inside sensor, plug with some extra wiring, plastic covers, and spears through the classifieds.
The tech, Phil, went with the Sekurit and new surround sourced from BMW - much more pliant than the one on the other glass. Not much urethane at the bottom of the glass coming out made R&R a breeze. It's so nice to have a clear view AND the features back!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the BMW tis procedure for E39 windscreen fitting.
I had a new bmw windscreen fitted as my old one was pitted.
My friend done it for me who fits automotive glass for a living.
I now have wind noise at very high speed . Might it be possible time fix this without removing the glass?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a small crack maybe 1/4" or less, I have the free Windshield replacement with my insurance, not sure how it works, but should i take it? are they supposed to replace it with an OEM windshield?

·
Registered
209 Posts
rahee06,
You need to contact your ins. co to let them know you have damage before taking it to a glass shop - they need a claim # before they can fix it. You could go by your glass shop to talk about it before they do the work. Depending on glass prices, you probably won't get a BMW windshield, but you might be surprised. My ins. co. (USAA) wants me to used Safelite (ins. co. gets a discount when they use them; similar deal with body shops) but my local glass shop was also approved and did what I asked.
Good luck!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would NEVER let Safelite put a windshield in any car of mine. I've seen too much shoddy work, and crappy aftermarket glass. A few years ago I had to put a windshield in my Z4M coupe. I was pleasantly surprised to find that for OEM glass, full LIST price was just over $400 - that's a great price for an OEM windshield. Toyota/Lexus is in the $2k range for their precious glass. WTH??

I just looked up the M5 windshield at realoem.com. List price is $463.80, and a quick Google search turned up parts.com selling it for only $271.08.

Stick with the OEM stuff guys. At these prices, no reason to screw around with the aftermarket crap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just had the windscreen replaced on my M5 over here in Scotland in the UK. Like many of the other posters on this thread I too was paranoid about getting a good quality replacement screen + a glass tech who knew what he was doing. Having read this......

Windscreen Manufacturers ? What do they Really Mean? | Glasstec Paul

.......I was relieved my insurance company agreed to using a BMW OE windscreen and BMW OE trims. The windscreen replacement company, Autoglass, were full of promises about how smoothly the fitting would go since all their techs were experienced. I wasn't as confident. However the tech assigned to the job turned out to be a good one though I was little worried when he said he hadn't fitted an E39 screen for about 2 years.

Fortunately, he was one of those techs who didn't let his ego get in the way of carrying out the job as per the BMW TIS print out I supplied him with. We discussed spacers and critical dimensions in the document all of which he took on board and was confident he had a good handle on the job scope. It went pretty smoothly with me in the background doing other things in my workshop but keeping an occasional eye on his progress. At completion he asked if he could keep the TIS since working on an E39 wasn't an everyday experience for him and it would be a good reference document. I thought he was a real professional, the sort who took a real interest in their work and wanted to improve their personal performance through new learning experiences and information. (I'm sure we've all come across the other sort, the grizzly self-proclaimed 'expert' in the automotive business who only ever does a job one way - 'their way' - regardless of whether it's right or not.)

Anyway, the windscreen fits great, makes next to no wind noise and is mercifully clear of wavy-ness or other weird distortions. The only slight issue was that the tech didn't give me enough time to take care of some very minor surface corrosion that became visible when the old screen came out. He had prepped the old PUR with primer and wanted to get the new PUR on without contamination so he didn't want me in there with abrasives and paint so I had no choice in the matter really. The 'corrosion' was more like surface discolouration than anything else so I wasn't unduly concerned. Next time round I'll insist on some time to sort this out.

Have a read of some of the other entries on Glasstec Paul's blog. It's pretty eye-opening stuff. I'm left with the opinion that not all windscreens and glass techs are created equally. Getting a good replacement screen + technician who does good work can be a complete lottery for the uninitiated.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts