BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Darren's runs and getting an opinion from a trusted member, I finally said screw it..... I just ordered the Evosport pulleys from Darren at Evosport.

I am hoping after the Supersprint exhaust, Dinan 3.91 Diff + SW, BMC filters....I hope the Pulleys will let me finally beat up on some Civics and if I am lucky some RSX Type S.....

I will post pics of the install and my impressions when I get them in.

:2:

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I aslo succumbed to the temptation mainly from watching Darren's videos.

BTW, you are overly optimistic on beating RSX Type Ss. You'll need quite a few racing stickers to go with that pulley to even hope of having a chance. =)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What's up with you two :confused3

Thats not funny :mad: I live in L.A. and I know ricers are everywhere, but this is the holy land. I jumped to the M5 to separate from any association with civics' or acuras' and especially scubby doo's and evil's (I know evo's). With the M3, I felt like a western gun slinger dueling it out on a daily basis.

Lets keep aspiring to knock down the Italians and merc's, please :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
bumper stickers give you 5 horsepower, man...

underglow gives around 15...
so get both and get a healthy 20 hp extra! then you can beat those ricers.

according to need for speed most wanted, that is...

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm getting my Evosport Pulley installed tomorrow. I'm hoping for a noticeable increase in power, but I'm setting my realistic expectations a bit low so I won't be disappointed.

I was going to have my mechanic also pull my carbon filters tomorrow, but I'd like to see the difference that the pulley makes by itself. I'll remove the carbon filters by myself one of these weekends.

Wow, all these mods just to beat the Type R's!

(I heard a gigantic F-40 style wing adds about 30 hp!) :grinyes:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hey....

What's up with you two :confused3

Thats not funny :mad: I live in L.A. and I know ricers are everywhere, but this is the holy land. I jumped to the M5 to separate from any association with civics' or acuras' and especially scubby doo's and evil's (I know evo's). With the M3, I felt like a western gun slinger dueling it out on a daily basis.

Lets keep aspiring to knock down the Italians and merc's, please :D
Don't forget the Chebby vettes; especially ZO6's!!

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting my Evosport Pulley installed tomorrow. I'm hoping for a noticeable increase in power, but I'm setting my realistic expectations a bit low so I won't be disappointed.

I was going to have my mechanic also pull my carbon filters tomorrow, but I'd like to see the difference that the pulley makes by itself. I'll remove the carbon filters by myself one of these weekends.

Wow, all these mods just to beat the Type R's!

(I heard a gigantic F-40 style wing adds about 30 hp!) :grinyes:

Hey Polar, please post your impressions (hopefully with the carbon filters still in so you can isolate the pulleys).

I have low expectations too but not so low that I haven't shut off from listening to feedback from fellow members.

On a related topic, I hear the more stickers you have, the HP effect becomes synergistic....1 sticker = 5, 2 stickers = 15, 20 stickers = 300 hp.

I am amazed at Civic tuners though...they spend thousands of dollars and still have a 15-16 second car and think they have a 12 second car.....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
T Bone...you fell victim to Darren's videos too! I figured I was off the market for any more mods, not wanting to spend the big bucks on headers and all, but Darren's DFW Challenge videos sealed my fate and I had the kit installed a couple weeks ago. Don't expect any off the line changes. The car just flies from 0-60 so fast you couldn't tell if it made any changes there anyway. But when you slam it into 3rd gear you'll be impressed how quickly you make it to 4th and how hard 4th keeps pulling.

Intresting thing in some "emergency launch" starts...I could barely get any tire spin off the line after adding this and the Dinan FRC/sway bar, but the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were definitely more impressive. I know the 305 wide rear tires definitely hook up better than the stock wheel/tire setup off the line like this, but this level of traction was something I haven't had before. Only thing I could think of is that the Dinan sway bar in the rear was helping balance the traction just a little more with the LSD in a start like this.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T Bone...you fell victim to Darren's videos too! I figured I was off the market for any more mods, not wanting to spend the big bucks on headers and all, but Darren's DFW Challenge videos sealed my fate and I had the kit installed a couple weeks ago. Don't expect any off the line changes. The car just flies from 0-60 so fast you couldn't tell if it made any changes there anyway. But when you slam it into 3rd gear you'll be impressed how quickly you make it to 4th and how hard 4th keeps pulling.

Intresting thing in some "emergency launch" starts...I could barely get any tire spin off the line after adding this and the Dinan FRC/sway bar, but the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were definitely more impressive. I know the 305 wide rear tires definitely hook up better than the stock wheel/tire setup off the line like this, but this level of traction was something I haven't had before. Only thing I could think of is that the Dinan sway bar in the rear was helping balance the traction just a little more with the LSD in a start like this.

Cool...thanks James.... I agree we are traction limited for 0-60. I will make it back to the drag strip one day and see if the trap speeds improve.

On the sway bar thingy... I will be upfront and say that I am not a big fan of bigger sway bars. They actually prevent the suspension from good weight transfer and suspension loading. They might feel better but without proper tuning on the whole suspension package, they cause oversteer more than anything else.

If dragstrips are what you are after, I would definitely keep EDC to the softest setting.

Considering I am not tracking my car that regularly, I am keeping the suspension system stock....considering the weight of the beast, the car feels pretty good on the street and track.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I hope you enjoy those products.

We carry both Evosport stuff and SuperSprint products.

They make great performance items. Are you going to get your car dyno'd with all of your mods?

-Don

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you enjoy those products.

We carry both Evosport stuff and SuperSprint products.

They make great performance items. Are you going to get your car dyno'd with all of your mods?

-Don

Canadians are a religious group....we go on faith....

In all seriousness, dyno pulls are not a popular activity up here. I wouldn't even know where to go.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had the Evosport Pulley installed this afternoon and first impressions are not overwhelming in terms of a noticeable power increase.

That's not to say that there is no difference in power, there is....but the power increase is really only noticeable at WOT between 5,000-7,500 RPMs. The power increase is more noticeable on the higher gears....3rd, 4th & 5th. I couldn't really tell the difference accelerating hard in 1st & 2nd gear.

Overall, the car feels very good and I'm generally happy with this modification. I wasn't expecting a massive power increase, and in my opinion I didn't get a massive power increase. I do notice a slight improvement in acceleration and for the price ($650 + $150 for installation), this made it a worthwhile investment.

Ironically, and I hope out of pure coincidence, when I started my car leaving the mechanic's shop after the pulley was installed, my passenger side headlight stopped working and I got a "Passenger Headlight Malfunction" error light pop-up! I asked my mechanic if the failure could have anything to do with the pulley install and he said the headlight malfunction is totally unrelated to the new pulley. I believe him, but it's totally ironic that the headlight would stop working about 2 hours after work had been done on my car.

I do have after-market 6,000K D1S replacement HID bulbs that I bought and had installed at Umnitza, so there is a possibility that the bulb simply blew out or failed but the timing of when this malfunction occurred is really making me think!

What do you guys think? Could my headlight malfunction be related to the pulley install???

Really curious to know your thoughts.

-Tom

(BTW, the carbon filters are coming out soon!)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Well.........

Canadians are a religious group....we go on faith....

In all seriousness, dyno pulls are not a popular activity up here. I wouldn't even know where to go.
This just confirms what I've always suspected: Canadians are WAAAAY smarter than the hoards of American dyno junkies who seem to live and die by dyno results that are totally meaningless.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This just confirms what I've always suspected: Canadians are WAAAAY smarter than the hoards of American dyno junkies who seem to live and die by dyno results that are totally meaningless.
A little Kentucky Windage never hurt anyone but too many variables when we are talking about <5% differences.....

Sometimes too much data is just as bad as no data, particularly if people choose to focus on the outliers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts