BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Yesterday I went to the M-Gmbh for a testdrive of the M5 :wroom: . We had much snow and Ice what made the Testdrive to a pleasure but very short ?????? . The car is really impressive and can't wait any more. Now I've to decide if I go for an M6 or not.

But I saw a really interesting "object" for our american friends :eek: . They had an american version of the M5 in indianapolis blue with clutch and manual 6-Speed Gearbox under development. But I would prefer smg. I wanted to take a lot of pictures but I have been forbidden to take some pictures and I respect the decision.

·
Registered
124 Posts
rem said:
But I saw a really interesting "object" for our american friends :eek: . They had an american version of the M5 in indianapolis blue with clutch and manual 6-Speed Gearbox under development. But I would prefer smg. I wanted to take a lot of pictures but I have been forbidden to take some pictures and I respect the decision.
AWESOME info Rem. So how did you know it was for the american market? Did someone there tell you or was it an educated guess? Also - where's the post on the test drive you took?! Is it up and I missed it? :M5thumbs:

Celsius

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sounds great. Are you going to order another Violet one?? ;)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It at least confirms that the magic number (of gears) is, as I suspected, 6 and not 7. Of that which is unknown, less than obvious and important, is what type of clutch will come with it and whether it will be sold outside the US? If it is a US-only model, this would be pretty much a first - the US gets something others, especially Europe, don't - and pretty much the opposite of what has been (unfortunately) customary?

T

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
This is true. However, if the mindset at BMW is SMG is the way forward, then their logic would be that the rest of the world is not losing out (whereas in the past (E36 M3) we felt like we were not getting the most advanced technology), BMW is just making an accommodation to their American customers who insist on the old way. No matter what though, I say thank you to BMW. :flag:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
What did the BMW M represntatives say about the new M5? Did the talk to you alot while you were testdriving it? What was your impression of the car, please tell us more!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@ celsius.

I did recognize the car because of the "american"-style orange lights the speedindicator was indicated in mph and the boot lid was for small license plates.

@ Ashok Arora

No, I don't want one more individual color the delay is to long +/- 3 months more.

@ All

Yes, there will only be a 6 speed gearbox because the developement for a seven speed manual gearbox is very expensive and they don't think that it will be a big market for it.

My impressions

As I said the weather was too bad to get all out of the car, in snow and ice conditions the car is much much better to drive as the "old" M5, because the DSC is really harmonizing with this car. The DSC is only developed for the M5 and not as in the old M5 derived from the 545 E39. The car was equipped with Pirelli Wintertyres 245/45 18 and really good to drive under winter-conditions. After all I went to the "Autobahn", full power revs to 8°000 and even today I've goose bumps when I think on the Noise. I saw plenty of videos from the car but in "Live" the noise is really awesome, I can't even find words for it. The car is in low revs in citys smooth to drive but at full power on the "Autobahn" it's really a beast. A Friend of mine who was also driving the M5 will only buy the car due to it's really great sound, his actual car an M3 E46 SMG. I can only say, if you've ordered one wait for it because it's worth the waiting time. Compared to my M3 Csl the SMG from the M5 is much smoother and If I had the choice between Manual and SMG I would take the SMG, but everybody has to decide by it's own but my opinion do a test drive not only for minutes and you'll know what I mean. The Handling of the car is very good very agile certainly not like the CSL but if you see the weight of the M5 it's really enormous, now I know what my contact person wanted to explain when he said "Compare the car to an Amg E55 and you'll see what I mean" the M5 is much much more agile than his competitors E55 Rs6....

For Top-Speed for the moment the car is limited to 250km/h but they (M-Gmbh) continue to fight with the management of BMW to have an option for delimited V/max certainly a very usefull option.

Ps: If somebody is interrested in my old M5 PM me I need place for my baby.

My cars

·
Registered
816 Posts
What colour was the test car? Any comments on that please? Did the interlagos blue car looked as nice as the other thread is suggesting (Interlagos Blue - How Sweet It is)? Thank you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
M6 Forever said:
What colour was the test car? Any comments on that please? Did the interlagos blue car looked as nice as the other thread is suggesting (Interlagos Blue - How Sweet It is)? Thank you.
The Test car was black with black full leather merino.

I saw nearly all the colours, Interlagos Blue is different in nature than on pictures. The car in Interlagos Blue looks not bad but I would not take this colour because everybody has other preferences. But the colour which was really "shocking" for me (sorry if I hurt others) is sepang bronze. My comment to my contact person "The person who decided to take the colour in the coulour program should be fired".

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Rem, thanks for the great comments on the E60. I can only imagine how big the smile was on your face when you were driving this baby. :biggrin: Can you elaborate more on the shifts with SMG III. Did you get to try some of the diferent programs (automatic and manual)? My (little) experience with SMG II left me somewhat concerned with the slow shifts or the apparent "lull" that the SMG II produced during the shifts.

Thanks for the reports again.
Terk.

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting. I don't understand why BMW is not also offering the 6-speed manual outside the US.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Rem, let me start by saying... in the most friendly way possible... that I HATE you!!! :haha:

In fact, any of you guys in Europe that get to drive these cars in the coming months, and especially those of you that get yours in the early deliveries... you all suck! :haha:

JK of course. I can imagine the feeling of having your foot on the pedal and listening to 8k of V10 song. Lucky bastard! Sadly it will be probably 6 months before any are over here. Of course... the ultimate question is, now that you have driven one, do you want it more, less, or the same as before?

Interesting that you actually SAW a M5 with the manual, this definately seems to confirm the rumors and statements. I got a response from my sales rep who says "cannot confirm or deny" but promises to push the factory rep on this topic. The big question for me is when. And I guess another would be is there a performance penalty and if so how much.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vndkshn said:
Rem, let me start by saying... in the most friendly way possible... that I HATE you!!! :haha:

In fact, any of you guys in Europe that get to drive these cars in the coming months, and especially those of you that get yours in the early deliveries... you all suck! :haha:
Why do you hate me, my dealer has a confirmation for the second week of march but at my visite they told me that it could be april hiha , hoping that your day is ruined now :D :D :D .

·
Registered
540 Posts
bernhtp said:
It at least confirms that the magic number (of gears) is, as I suspected, 6 and not 7. Of that which is unknown, less than obvious and important, is what type of clutch will come with it and whether it will be sold outside the US? If it is a US-only model, this would be pretty much a first - the US gets something others, especially Europe, don't - and pretty much the opposite of what has been (unfortunately) customary?

T
Not really the E36 USA M3 had a unique to USA engine and only the USA could get them in Automatic

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
rem said:
Why do you hate me, my dealer has a confirmation for the second week of march but at my visite they told me that it could be april hiha , hoping that your day is ruined now :D :D :D .
Hope you took it the way it was meant. I imagine I wont see mine until late this fall, possibly next year depending on the timing on the manual.

Add in the snow we have been getting... and opening up any car isn't an option.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
SuperBMW said:
Not really the E36 USA M3 had a unique to USA engine and only the USA could get them in Automatic
I guess I viewed this as America being left out of getting the good engine (almost 100hp more) for the E36 M3, and I don't view getting an "automatic" option as getting anything extra. I'm glad that M finally rectified this with the E46.

Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts