BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was making my visit to the BMW M GmbH in Garching today. It was very disappointing. I only saw two M6s in Silverstone II and Sepang Bronze covered under snow and ice with still camouflaged front and rear bumpers. I tried to brush the snow off the carbon fibre roof, but the only thing I revealed was a thick layer of ice. The main reason for my visit was to have a closer look at the colours offered for the M6, especially Interlagos blue. Interlagos blue looks terrible under wintery daylight conditions; an ugly striking dark blue with a tinge of purple. I couldn't believe my eyes; it has nothing in common with the stunning pictures posted in the M5 thread "Interlagos blue – how sweet it is". Artificial light seems to change the colour completely. The standard M6 colour I like best definitely is Silverstone II. It's a sporty colour that you don't see on other cars – it's exclusive to M5/M6 for the duration of at least two years; it's a light silver that on the one hand stands out but on the other hand isn't flashy/bright at all. Unfortunately, they could not show me Indianapolis red on a car, but they were crazy about that colour. Apparently 85% of all customers in Germany have ordered the M6 in Indianapolis red! I can't believe it though. Next week they get in a M6 in Indianapolis red for their presentation room. That is a good reason to visit them again. Sorry, I was not allowed to take pictures.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks for the write up. You're in an eviable position!

A couple of questions:-

1. In your opinion, how did the Silverstone II contrast with Titanium Silver? (Silverstone II is my second choice following Mineral Silver). Titanium is also a "light silver". I guess what I'm asking is what so special about it that they keep talking about.

2. What wheels did those cars have? The new 5 spoke? Sometimes designs look much better in real life.

3. I find the 85% figure for Indi.Red hard to believe. I thought in the M5 board there are rumours that they're having technical difficulties with this colour.

Thanks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
well mine is going to be black ,having looked very very carefully at all the 6's on the roads,black is the best colour by a mile,not practical,but aprt from silver the car looks awful in most other colours

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
M6 Forever said:
Thanks for the write up. You're in an eviable position!

A couple of questions:-

1. In your opinion, how did the Silverstone II contrast with Titanium Silver? (Silverstone II is my second choice following Mineral Silver). Titanium is also a "light silver". I guess what I'm asking is what so special about it that they keep talking about.

2. What wheels did those cars have? The new 5 spoke? Sometimes designs look much better in real life.

3. I find the 85% figure for Indi.Red hard to believe. I thought in the M5 board there are rumours that they're having technical difficulties with this colour.

Thanks.
The dilemma is that I saw countless M5s but I was not able to examine the M6 closely. To answer your questions:

1. IMO Silverstone II has almost nothing in common with Titanium Silver. Titanium Silver doesn't look bad but it is a boring standard colour that is also available for all other BMW models and it is used frequently. It's a typical everyday normal light silver similar to that of what other car manufacturers offer. When I asked BMW M employees about how it suits the M5/M6 they threw up their hands in horror. Silverstone II however is a very special colour that you don't see on other cars; it's neither loud nor unobtrusive; it looks like some kind of alien metal with a very small tinge of blue. That colour reveals the M5/M6 at once but it is not ostentatious. If you are looking for a very sporty silver I recommend Silverstone II; if you are looking for an elegant silver you better choose Mineral Silver.

2. Since the two M6s I saw were test-driven under wintery conditions they were equipped with winter tyres on 18" rims; there was nothing special about that wheels. They promised to give me a call when the presentation M6 arrives next week. I will take a look at the M6 wheels then, but I don't think the 5 spoke wheels look good on an elegant M6 in Mineral Silver you are likely to go for.

3. BMW M employees were falling for that colour, so they likely exaggerated about that figure. They said that if you want your M6 to be noticed on the road you 'must' go for Indianapolis red; it is the colour they recommend for the M6. There was no mention of technical difficulties and regrettably I forgot to ask. They really made me curious and I am dying to see that colour on the M6 now. Take into consideration that we have not seen Indianapolis red in real and therefore are not able to make a judement. The first official BMW M6 pics are poorly done. Just have a look at the Madeira wood. It has got a red hue on the first official pics but in real it looks brown (like shown in the M6 flyer). So there is no telling how Indianapolis red really looks like, especially under different light conditions.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
. If you are looking for a very sporty silver I recommend Silverstone II; if you are looking for an elegant silver you better choose Mineral Silver.

2. , but I don't think the 5 spoke wheels look good on an elegant M6 in Mineral Silver you are likely to go for.

3. . They really made me curious and I am dying to see that colour on the M6 now. Take into consideration that we have not seen Indianapolis red in real and therefore are not able to make a judement. The first official BMW M6 pics are poorly done. Just have a look at the Madeira wood. It has got a red hue on the first official pics but in real it looks brown (like shown in the M6 flyer). So there is no telling how Indianapolis red really looks like, especially under different light conditions.
Thanks for your response.

1. Very good observation! I'll keep that in point mind when I make up my mind. I agree the Silverstone II has a very, very subtle light blue in it. How interesting.

2. I agree. The 5 spoke is too hot looking for what I've got in mind.

3. Have you downloaded the footage of the M6 in the server showing Indi.Red? The colour in the footage looks strange - a bit brown at times. Maybe it's the computer screen. I got confused about Madera wood also - it is red or is it brown. Probably more brown.

You lucky man! You've seen them and you'll be amongst the first to take delivery also!

Can you ask how much extra production time is required for Individual please.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
M6 Forever said:
I got confused about Madera wood also - it is red or is it brown. Probably more brown.

Can you ask how much extra production time is required for Individual please.
BMW M employees showed me a sample of Madeira wood and it looks exactly like shown in the M6 flyer/brochure I have posted here some time ago.

I think it depends on what you have in mind. Do you intend to choose an individual colour, an individual package, or do you wish to make your car really individual where you tell them exactly what you want? I know that the work BMW Individual has to do starts parallel to the manufaturing of the car, if their order book allows it. Is Mineral Silver an individual colour in Australia too? I like Mineral Silver; it looks perfect on the 645Ci Coupe. But isn't it too elegant for the M6?! Think about the sporty front and rear bumpers, the defusor, the carbon fibre roof, the outside mirrors with the black inlays. What is your opinion?

I have chosen Silverstone II and a black full leather trim with Madeira wood, but production has not started yet and so I am still allowed to do changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
BMW M employees showed me a sample of Madeira wood and it looks exactly like shown in the M6 flyer/brochure I have posted here some time ago.

I think it depends on what you have in mind. Do you intend to choose an individual colour, an individual package, or do you wish to make your car really individual where you tell them exactly what you want? I know that the work BMW Individual has to do starts parallel to the manufaturing of the car, if their order book allows it. Is Mineral Silver an individual colour in Australia too? I like Mineral Silver; it looks perfect on the 645Ci Coupe. But isn't it too elegant for the M6?! Think about the sporty front and rear bumpers, the defusor, the carbon fibre roof, the outside mirrors with the black inlays. What is your opinion?

I have chosen Silverstone II and a black full leather trim with Madeira wood, but production has not started yet and so I am still allowed to do changes.
Autobahnraser,

About Individual: I’m not so convinced about the Individual Packages on offer for the other models and I don’t yet understand what’s on offer for the M6, although I have seen the standard 6 series packages and so expect that to be it for the M6. All I simply want is to pick whatever combination I like best. But this is actually quite simple for me because my two favourite exterior colours are Min.Silver and Silverstone II. Both are readily available.

What I still don’t know is if it’s possible to pick whatever colour for the steering wheel and the upper dash just like the new face-lifted 7 series picture below? Extended leather allows for leather in the upper dash front and back, but what about its colour choice? You are selecting black full leather, which will match very nicely with the black seats, black steering wheel and black dash etc. as all is in one harmonising colour.

You’re right about "Think about the sporty front and rear bumpers, the defusor, the carbon fibre roof, the outside mirrors with the black inlays". I recently saw a CL55 AMG model in a colour similar to Min.Silver and it looked very nice. I think most large coupes will always have a GT/elegant feel to them although the M6 is more sports biased. So I think Min.Silver will be nice. I could think of worse colours ... say Sepang Bronze! That's a real strange colour.

I haven't thought about the wood yet. Your choice of Madeira with black is very nice; a very solid dark colour. I think they will match nicely as shown in the brochures you posted. The worse mismatch was the Paris M5 photo where it showed black dash, black steering and yellow pine wood (can't remember the name).

I might end up with the photo below's colour combination. Can't wait to see the photos of the presentation car in Geneva.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M6 Forever said:
What I still don’t know is if it’s possible to pick whatever colour for the steering wheel and the upper dash just like the new face-lifted 7 series picture below? Extended leather allows for leather in the upper dash front and back, but what about its colour choice?
If you only go for an Individual package you can't decide the colours for the steering wheel, upper dash and so on; you have to choose one of the colour combinations as illustrated in the Individual brochure posted by Ashok. But furthermore it is possible to pick whatever leather colour you want for any part of the car; you will have to pay a hefty extra charge though .

·
Registered
816 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
If you only go for an Individual package you can't decide the colours for the steering wheel, upper dash and so on; you have to choose one of the colour combinations as illustrated in the Individual brochure posted by Ashok. But furthermore it is possible to pick whatever leather colour you want for any part of the car; you will have to pay a hefty extra charge though .
Thanks, I thought that was the case. Money buys all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts