BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had the car for 2 weeks I want to report it is utterly amazing. From the moment you get in, and the seats hug around you as you turn the key, you feel electrified. The gear change options are great. The docile P400 and D1 mode is a little lazy until you floor it, and the P400 D4 is a better compromise as it holds the gears for longer and the change is smoother. With the same setting but press the power buttom (P500) it becomes much smoother still. The M button is pure genious and I hit it when I want to overtake- and you go like a rocket, with the seats instantly bolstering you as you turn.

I like the Sat Nav and Logic 7 Sound system. The electric rear blind and manual sides are cool. I have climate glass and this is definitely keeping the car cooler in the sun. I am very disappointed with the active seat ventilation though which almost imperceptible and seems to just be a fan under the leather and as the perforations are so small, very little air comes through (I don't even think it is air conditioned air being sent through)- anyone else have a comment on their experience on this?

The bluetooth phone prep is a must. I wish I had also gone for voice control (if the option isn't selected that button on the steering wheel does nothing).
HUD is great. Ride is amazing. I had a Maserati last and the ride in this is a world above. The brakes are astounding too.

Regards
P

·
Registered
100 Posts
turton said:
Having had the car for 2 weeks I want to report it is utterly amazing. From the moment you get in, and the seats hug around you as you turn the key, you feel electrified. The gear change options are great. The docile P400 and D1 mode is a little lazy until you floor it, and the P400 D4 is a better compromise as it holds the gears for longer and the change is smoother. With the same setting but press the power buttom (P500) it becomes much smoother still. The M button is pure genious and I hit it when I want to overtake- and you go like a rocket, with the seats instantly bolstering you as you turn.

I like the Sat Nav and Logic 7 Sound system. The electric rear blind and manual sides are cool. I have climate glass and this is definitely keeping the car cooler in the sun. I am very disappointed with the active seat ventilation though which almost imperceptible and seems to just be a fan under the leather and as the perforations are so small, very little air comes through (I don't even think it is air conditioned air being sent through)- anyone else have a comment on their experience on this?

The bluetooth phone prep is a must. I wish I had also gone for voice control (if the option isn't selected that button on the steering wheel does nothing).
HUD is great. Ride is amazing. I had a Maserati last and the ride in this is a world above. The brakes are astounding too.

Regards
P
Great to hear. Thanks for the update. As far as the vented seats go, do they work any better when you have the ac temperature all the way down to it's coolest setting?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. But the A/C is fantastic in this car too. Push the max button and you are soon almost shivering. But if you have the A/C set to say 22 degrees and you are getting gentle stream of cool air you do not get any perceptible ventilation through the seat. I had to put my ear to the seat to convince myself it was working (you can hear the fan). You can just about perceive very minor air flow, but that is it! I expected cold air to be syphoned through the middle of the seat back where it would have been great. The crazy thing is that there are three speed settings selected from a button (with a nice blue three light LED) on the dash (next to the active seat selection button and parking sensor button). But if you don't have it on the highest setting there really would not be any even vague awareness that you had the option in the car.
P

Kelly777 said:
Great to hear. Thanks for the update. As far as the vented seats go, do they work any better when you have the ac temperature all the way down to it's coolest setting?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for your insights and for reaffirming my decision to pass on the ventilated seats. If it's anything like the ventilated seats on the MB E-class, it's a disappointing feature indeed.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
masmole said:
Thanks for your insights and for reaffirming my decision to pass on the ventilated seats. If it's anything like the ventilated seats on the MB E-class, it's a disappointing feature indeed.
It's a cooling feature,not a strong draft on your back.
In my old MB it took a while to feel it work but soon it would make driving a Black/Black car in a 100F temps quite comfy.
With the cooling on,never had a sweaty back again.(that's progress in my book)

·
Registered
256 Posts
turton said:
No. But the A/C is fantastic in this car too. Push the max button and you are soon almost shivering. But if you have the A/C set to say 22 degrees and you are getting gentle stream of cool air you do not get any perceptible ventilation through the seat. I had to put my ear to the seat to convince myself it was working (you can hear the fan). You can just about perceive very minor air flow, but that is it! I expected cold air to be syphoned through the middle of the seat back where it would have been great. The crazy thing is that there are three speed settings selected from a button (with a nice blue three light LED) on the dash (next to the active seat selection button and parking sensor button). But if you don't have it on the highest setting there really would not be any even vague awareness that you had the option in the car.
P
Have you checked thru I drive the mix from seat to seat back, this can be adjusted, it may suit you to have the air channelled to one or the other or maybe yours is confined to only one. I think the system is only meant to stop you sweating in contact with the seat not to really air condition it as mentioned above.

I have used seat ventilation in a 7 series and it was great, have not had the chance to try my M5 in hot weather yet, hoping it is as good.

Don't forget the system is a seat warmer as well, and that I can comment on, it is like a toaster on 3.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't change the setting of the ventilated seats through I-drive, just the distribution for the heated seats. As far as I can tell the ventilated seats are simply a fan built under the seat blowing air into the the seat and not "pumping" airconditioned cooled air into it. Because a seat is made of fairly solid foam and the perforations on the leather are so small and the fan pretty weak, the perception of cooling from this is a nonsense. You get the only the vaguest sensation that the thing might be working!

1.NEON said:
Have you checked thru I drive the mix from seat to seat back, this can be adjusted, it may suit you to have the air channelled to one or the other or maybe yours is confined to only one. I think the system is only meant to stop you sweating in contact with the seat not to really air condition it as mentioned above.

I have used seat ventilation in a 7 series and it was great, have not had the chance to try my M5 in hot weather yet, hoping it is as good.

Don't forget the system is a seat warmer as well, and that I can comment on, it is like a toaster on 3.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
absent said:
It's a cooling feature,not a strong draft on your back.
In my old MB it took a while to feel it work but soon it would make driving a Black/Black car in a 100F temps quite comfy.
With the cooling on,never had a sweaty back again.(that's progress in my book)
I assume it's the same as the 7 series seat:

<LI>Active Ventilation. Multiple ventilator fans inside the front seats gently blow air upward through an internal web and the microperforated leather to help reduce occupants' perspiration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts