BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My M5 from 2005 has been driving around about 96.000 KM, This is roughly 64.000 Miles (might be off with a few K). With all the Vanos discussions going on, I had someone have a quick look under my hood. Apparently the Vanos system is making a rattling sound, It's not really noticeable with the hood closed (especially not if you dont know what to listen for). With the hood open though, you can clearly hear a "sjik sjik sjik sjik sjik" sound with about the same rhytm as the engine. I have uploaded the clip in the best quality I could (also recorded with a quality sony camera).

I wonder what you guys think of the sound? Is it bad or nothing to worry about at the moment?

M5 E60 Vanos - 10-12-2014 Pictures, M5 E60 Vanos - 10-12-2014 Images, M5 E60 Vanos - 10-12-2014 Photos, M5 E60 Vanos - 10-12-2014 Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

·
Registered
13,461 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not sound that bad, I think the vanos solenoids make a slight noise even when they are not going bad.
There is a test that can be performed to make sure they are still within the ok range.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/311537-vanos-solenoid-test-results.html
What about all the other parts in the Vanos? The thing I'm most worried about is the pump as according to what I've read, is the most dangerous part to malfunction and break your engine.
Any easy way to hear/test if the pump is still ok to drive around with?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
What about all the other parts in the Vanos? The thing I'm most worried about is the pump as according to what I've read, is the most dangerous part to malfunction and break your engine.
Any easy way to hear/test if the pump is still ok to drive around with?
A symptom of a bad pump or lines is a rough idle as I remember people discussing this a few years ago including a buddy of mine Dave who lost an engine because of the pump going out.

ok I found the thread and also the test that can be performed.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/201331-vanos-pump-repair.html

Reactions: Hoax

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.. Are there any more people that can confirm that so far nothing sounds out of the ordinary? This whole Vanos thing that I keep reading about been making me anxious. As soon as I heard something under the hood (after someone pointed it out to me) making a rattling noise, I kinda flipped out and called and emailed the dealership where I bought the M5 a month ago and pretty much said they ****** me over! I am starting to feel bad now! In the month that I owned it I never listened under the hood while running stationary (I still had zero knowledge). Everything still feels and sounds the same as a month before though. No complaints.

The shop did offer to check it for me and also have an official BMW stealership diagnose the car at no expense. It would take the whole day again though to go back and forth and wait etc. Should I go or is it not worth the hassle?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.. Are there any more people that can confirm that so far nothing sounds out of the ordinary? This whole Vanos thing that I keep reading about been making me anxious. As soon as I heard something under the hood (after someone pointed it out to me) making a rattling noise, I kinda flipped out and called and emailed the dealership where I bought the M5 a month ago and pretty much said they ****** me over! I am starting to feel bad now! In the month that I owned it I never listened under the hood while running stationary (I still had zero knowledge). Everything still feels and sounds the same as a month before though. No complaints.

The shop did offer to check it for me and also have an official BMW stealership diagnose the car at no expense. It would take the whole day again though to go back and forth and wait etc. Should I go or is it not worth the hassle?
Hey as long as it is free then have them do the tests, at least you will know how the vanos system is doing and if it is still within spec.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my engine check light come on last few days. It appears it was related to the lambda sones. My mechanic says that there's probably nothing wrong with those but that they get triggered by an issue at the camshaft. Most likely it's the solenoids causing it.

What are the risks if I keep driving like this for a few more months? By judging my video, how bad can it be?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts