BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 1235 Posts

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Paul are you going to use the same blower? or upgrage to a larger unit for more power. looks great and yes we are all excited to see this finally happen. best of luck on that sticking to your budget! Ha that will never happen with this things.
LOL thanks ouichYes I am keeping to the same blower for now but I am working with Vortech on a new system to see if I can boost a lot more in the future.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Paul, I realize this is a stretch, but will this car be joining on for donuts?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Paul, I realize this is a stretch, but will this car be joining on for donuts?
Nope as it will be coming on ESS's trailer if it is ready in time. I will be in my other car for the donut and BBQ events :blink:

Hey Paulie, since you have everyones penis out, post up some pics of the build in progress dude.
I am trying but as I have no control of the shop and don't feel like pushing too much I can only post what they send to me.

Right now I have asked for pics of the stock bearings and some misc items. The shop is waiting on other parts to come back from the treatment process they do on the upgraded bearings and mains. The rebuild with new parts will not start till end of this week.

Keep your small penis in your pants :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Nope as it will be coming on ESS's trailer if it is ready in time. I will be in my other car for the donut and BBQ events :blink:
Oooooooh....the slow one?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Ok for those that have been waiting patiently here is the worst bearing I had.....remember the car had 94k miles on the engine with 20k with the supercharger.

Close up.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Doesn't look very bad at all. Im sure when they put those back in your engine you wont have any problems for a while. :p
My new ones will be way more robust ;)

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Paul, would that bearing be considered cause for alarm, or normal wear?
Actually that is very normal; if you search on here for pics of others you will see much worse on cars with less miles and still N/A.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i dont really see cause for alarm. I certainly dont think that pic substantiates the other thread that said these need to be changed every 80k...

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
i dont really see cause for alarm. I certainly dont think that pic substantiates the other thread that said these need to be changed every 80k...
Precisely my point, for someone to post on the forum that these cars fail at a set amount of miles was an absurd thing to say to begin with. These engines are pretty stout and with good maintenance can last a long time.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Precisely my point, for someone to post on the forum that these cars fail at a set amount of miles was an absurd thing to say to begin with. These engines are pretty stout and with good maintenance can last a long time.
Thanks Paul!

Appreciate the updates and the technical feedback. :cheers:

Can't wait to see the monster back on the roads. :M5launch: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I think that member was just saying from his experience, he would change them at about that mileage but not saying every car's going to have that issue at that specific time. There's nothing consistent about how these motors act. You're either lucky that there's no issues with your motor or that's probably the norm if we were somehow able to know the real state of all S85 motors with the same average miles. On the flip side, I took good care of my car maintenance-wise and it's not even supercharged yet it died. Just luck of the draw and I got the short end of the stick. haha

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Tony yours could have failed from a variety of things unfortunately :(
Personally I don't think your bearings went out but something else gave in prior which then starved the engine and caused the metal shavings in the oil, but this is just my thoughts as you have decided not to dig into the engine itself for cost reasons.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Tony yours could have failed from a variety of things unfortunately :(
Personally I don't think your bearings went out but something else gave in prior which then starved the engine and caused the metal shavings in the oil, but this is just my thoughts as you have decided not to dig into the engine itself for cost reasons.
I'm actually going to have member cyberkaa do a tear down on my engine to find the root cause.

In the discussion on my engine thread, I had first thought maybe the Vanos failed and starved my engine of oil which is why the engine failed but jcolley pointed out that the Vanos unit doesn't pump oil into the engine, that's the main oil pump so it was probably the reverse, something failed inside the engine causing metal shavings to kill my Vanos. Most likely it's the bearings since if a rod gave way, my car wouldn't even start yet it's still running. Hope to have more info once we do the tear down.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think that member was just saying from his experience, he would change them at about that mileage but not saying every car's going to have that issue at that specific time. There's nothing consistent about how these motors act. You're either lucky that there's no issues with your motor or that's probably the norm if we were somehow able to know the real state of all S85 motors with the same average miles. On the flip side, I took good care of my car maintenance-wise and it's not even supercharged yet it died. Just luck of the draw and I got the short end of the stick. haha
I'm wiling to bet Paul's car that your car had a vanos failure. Common failure on the 06's.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm actually going to have member cyberkaa do a tear down on my engine to find the root cause.

In the discussion on my engine thread, I had first thought maybe the Vanos failed and starved my engine of oil which is why the engine failed but jcolley pointed out that the Vanos unit doesn't pump oil into the engine, that's the main oil pump so it was probably the reverse, something failed inside the engine causing metal shavings to kill my Vanos. Most likely it's the bearings since if a rod gave way, my car wouldn't even start yet it's still running. Hope to have more info once we do the tear down.
I don't buy it.

Read around, there are plenty of vanos pump failures which screws with all kinds of characteristics of the engine which leads to metal in oil which leads to engine blowing up.

I've yet to read one proven documented case of rod bearing failure in a S85. Just a lot of hearsay.

101 - 120 of 1235 Posts