BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my M5 in the last week of July. I was upgrading from a Pontiac G8 which I loved, but once I got the M5, I had a new love.
Then three weeks later is when I got the misfiring. I posted the issue thinking and hoping it was just an ignition or coil problem.
Troy was one of the first to respond and asked me to check the filter. Wondering what an oil filter had to do with a misfire was beyond me.
I did what he asked. As I did, my heart sank. Copper glitter all over my arm as I remove the filter. WTF! Cursing the day I laid eyes on an M5, Troy gave me his number and we talked. I have to say, from the jump he made me feel better about my situation. He explained to me the issues with the stock bearings. After numerous texts and calls to him with all of my dumb questions, I finally decided it was more cost efficient to just let him do it. I called a local performance BMW shop here in the DFW right after it happened and they quoted me 15k for an engine, because they "have a guy" they get them from. Well that guy was TROY! Anyway, the car went up and he had that thing turned around before I knew it. I went up there to pick it up this past weekend and this guy knows his stuff. Thank you Troy for doing what you do. We spend the whole freaking day together. He showed me his huge shop, along with where all the machining is done. The operation was very impressive. I drove the car from Michigan to Milwaukee, then Milwaukee to Dallas. Drained the break in oil out and now I am good to go. This car feels so different than it did before. Drives smoother, idles smoother, even under just normal acceleration I feel a difference. Troy has renewed my confidence back in this car. I really appreciate him reaching out and knowing and doing what he does.
Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Damn that must have sucked getting hit with a huge bill right after purchase!

Did you get the car inspected prior to purchase? Was it bought from a dealer or private party?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Glad it all turned out well in the end but didn't you get some kind of warranty for a short period of time with the purchase? I would be fuming if this happened to me within a month of ownership.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Just awful to buy a car and have engine give out 3 weeks later. What is disturbing is we have come to accept this as SOP.. get car, engine kabooms and call Troy :7:

Can you imagine how crazy that sounds to the normal populace. As much as we all love the s85, it is just awful to have this happen to yet another person. I see a ton of E60 on cars.com.. i'll wager quite a number of them will kaboom the moment you purchase or sellers knowingly dumped their cars knowing fully well the impending doom. BMW really got away with murder with the s85 engine.

Having said all that.. The sound of that lovely V10 never gets old :7:.. i just wished the V10 engine wouldn't go kaboom every other day.
To the OP.. glad it worked out for you. Others were not so lucky especially few years ago when the only game in town was the dealer and they charged what 25K or more for new engine that was out of warranty. grrrrrrr

T

·
0 Posts
2008 m5, 75k miles.

Thanks for your nice post, Marvin. It was nice to meet you buddy.

Best,

Troy Jeup

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The amount of E60 M5's with various engine failures under 100k is shocking.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It would be nice to have some kind of rolling total count. We could try to compile a list with Troy's sales, A mole at the BMW dealer, etc.

I'm starting to think about trading in for a x3 35i.

If I do that, I'm getting a boat too lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It would be nice to have some kind of rolling total count. We could try to compile a list with Troy's sales, A mole at the BMW dealer, etc.

M5 to a X3? That's a change :confused:

T

·
0 Posts

This engine was #112 sold. We have five more getting installed within the next week, so that would be 117-qty. this is excluding the strokers which will add 3 to this total once they are done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought it from a Cadillac dealer in Tyler, TX. I called myself doing as much research as I could about this car, but bearing issues was not one I thought would have come up. Another thing, the dealer told me they just changed the oil in it. I soooo doubt they put in 10W-60. I bought "As Is" so I screwed myself. Car is very much worth keeping.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
One thing I really notice now. When I am cruising, lets say around 70, and hit the "M" button. HOLY SHAT. Car VERY much wakes up! Before it woke up a little to put a smile on my face....Now its like OMG! I had no idea what I was missing until now

1 - 20 of 30 Posts