BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in the Bay Area California, doesn't help. There is so much money here, that local dealers had evolved to perfect pigs, asking $20-$25 over invoice, and the wait is over a year...

I decided to find a car somewhere else around the country. I started looking a month ago, by sending Emails to every BMW dealer in the country who had a web site/Email.

I gotn many responces reanging from "yeah right!", to "10K deposit and 10k over MSRP"...

One dealer from New Jersey, said he'll do his best, and asked for a deposit. A month later (yesterday) he called with the good news, he has an allocation, and we can submit it tomorrow (Monday).... Then 3-4 months wait and I'll have: a 2001 M5 Titanium/SPORT/Silverstone with every thing on it, delivered to a delership here (i'll pay prep fees to the local dealer)...

I can't wait to tell Allison BMW to give me back my deposit.... And they can take the $25K-over-list, and shove it where the sun don't shine...

I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Evolved?

That's a very charitable way to put it.

I understand the law of supply and demand.

Nonetheless, I have a long memory and no interest in reinforcing their behavior; if they feel that selling that M5 for $90K is worth writing me off as a prospective customer for the next 30 years, that's their prerogative.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I can confirm that. My dealer (Park Ave BMW) has me for Oct build with Dec / Jan delivery at MSRP.

Northern Cal is in a different world as far as pricing.

Max

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
You will get your car by the end of Nov.! Because the car the car takes 2 weeks to build and 3 days in BMW factory and 3 weeks to get here. so ask your dealer when is the day its getting built to know when you will get your car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm quite upset -- I've had a deposit at the same dealership for a number of months and noone called ME to say they had an allocation available! What is going on?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update....

I just got a fax from the dealer with the following info:

Production Number - 6696297
Status 037 - order is at BMW NA
Est. Prod. YR/MO/WK: 2000/11
Model code: 0151

Is there an online methode to check on the status of a car? (Audi has it)...

Assuming Mid November production, I should be able to drive it around mid January...
Man, this is going to be very tough 4 months...

Also, any one in the bay area interested in a Audi A4, 2.8/6, Tiptronic, Quattro, Silver, fully loaded, w/18,000 miles...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the same dealer? you sure?

Originally posted by GGarai:
I'm quite upset -- I've had a deposit at the same dealership for a number of months and noone called ME to say they had an allocation available! What is going on?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I would think that with the holidays (thangsgiving and xmas) you will have some slowdowns with various stages of auto delivery so the dealership saying by January is probably just some good CYA.

ME

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Just got a fax today from my dealer:
Production Number: 6675585
Order Type: 1 / CUSTOMER "sold"
Model Code: 0151
Status code: 112
What does all this mean ???????

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Don't forget that eventually cars that carry a heavy 'premium' over msrp (with very few exceptions) lose that premium and depreciate just like regular cars. The M5 is NOT an exotic limited production model like the F50 or the Maclaren F1 so will lose value. Demand here in the UK is so 'weak' and prices in Europe so much cheaper that BMW-GB lowered the retail price on the M5 recently from £59995 to £52995 (still way too much). The lesson is don't be a schmuck by paying a premium over the MSRP!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Status Meaning
------ -------
0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. -- Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
: 196 Shipment Arrival -- ATA

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Had a deposit since 8/99. I was offered a 2000 in April this year. Turned it down waited for '01. Placed actual order Sept. 6th. I expect the car by late Nov early Dec.

Just for cya reasons dealer says delivery may be in Jan '01.
No problem, I'm the patient one. After all this is the car of a lifetime. (for keeps)

Sales person is Nancy Birnbaum. She's absolutely great about following-up & keeping me updated.

If you contact. Mention my name.

Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts