BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the story goes, I thought I would never let him drive the M...fast foward 2 years. He now drives a Mk V GTI stick and I thought it would be "interesting" to see how he drove the M. He did very well. Didn't burn the clutch or kill it and drove it with a great deal of respect. Got it onto the freeway and I let him open it up...but only a little. You should have seen the smile when he felt the power! As you know, 80 came quick and he backed off. His comment was "damn I'm barely stepping on it and doing 80". I won't let him take it out alone, but am very confident about him being able to drive the M well. Time for me to open her up!

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's a pretty special experience, especially when you're young. I remember driving my father's the day he bought it back in 2001. I think I was more excited than he was about picking up the car so we took turns driving it home from the dealership. Here we are almost 10 years later and I was fortunate enough to pick up a used 03 M5. I of course let him drive it the day I picked it up.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hmm my son on the other hand still very young likes all the other Jap cars, once he told me how cool a Scion looked and other cars with bright green/ blue coloured. Cant wait till he gets old enough and realizes the diff, 2 young 2 understand.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes...I let my daughter drive mine. Pretty exciting for her too, and she did great as her car is a manual civic...lol. The weekend came and she asked if she could go out with friends...that wasn't happening!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weekend came and she asked if she could go out with friends...that wasn't happening!
Can't imagine why!!! Our kids actually drive well and want to take our SL out. We actually let them but only for special occasions such as proms etc.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hmm my son on the other hand still very young likes all the other Jap cars, once he told me how cool a Scion looked and other cars with bright green/ blue coloured. Cant wait till he gets old enough and realizes the diff, 2 young 2 understand.
It's good for kids to start off with something moderately powered at the front wheels.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My son only has 14-more years....Buys me some time...lol

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's good for kids to start off with something moderately powered at the front wheels.
My first car when I was still 16 was a 1985 Trans Am.. only a carbuerated 305 with the 4 speed auto, but it was still a V8 and rear wheel drive! My family has always had rear wheel drive until recently. Parents are getting older and my mother drives FWD now.

I think what you grow up on, and what you start on, continues throughout your life... My example - I still own that 1985 Trans Am and it has a 400 RWHP LT1 engine with a T56 6 speed. AND my daily driver is now a 2000 M5:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
657 Posts
My dumba$$ wrapped my Datsun Maxima around a tree when I was 16. I'm thankful I didn't have anything with actual power :tonquesmilie:

I'm expecting my son to be just as stupid as I used to be, since the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, so you know he's getting the blandest of the bland Toyota Corolla.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Awesome stories! Nothing like sharing a moment with your children. Even more so when you follow in your parents footsteps and enjoy the same interests to the point of purchasing the same dream car.

I want to ask a favor though. Never let your child drive your dream car without you. I know I'm an ask to say this but this is why.

I was webmaster and founding member of the Cowtown Z Club. A friend loaned her son her prized posession, a brand new first year US 350z. He was to be best man at his best friend's wedding and wanted to go in style. She gladly obliged, knowing her 19y/o was a great driver with DEs and autocrosses under his belt.

At the reception, he was taking people for rides in his chariot. With traction control off, he slid on the wet pavement. Hit the curb sideways and flipped. The copper Z wrapped around a tree upside down with this capable teenager at it's center. He died instantly.

I know this is a "never happen to me" story. I certainly hope so. Sorry to be a downer.

dj

·
Registered
19 Posts
mk5 gti to m5 is a big change? mine is my second car, first being a b5 passat wagon, if you can imagine how that swap felt!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Man, you guys are pretty brave, I don't let me WIFE drive my car!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
My dad taught me to drive on his beautifully maintained Fiat X19. The plan was that I would get it when I finally got my license. Unfortunately by then I was 6'4 and driving the car was impossible. :(

·
Registered
832 Posts
I look forward to having kids so I can hook up petrol to their veins.

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
993 Posts
For me it was a reverse story. I let my father borrow my old Mustang GT when I bought it in 2002 and he did long smokey burnout leaving the driveway. But 2 years later he bought a brand new 2004 Mustang Cobra. Lets just say that.... payback is a ***** :thumbsup:

He's never driven the M5 and I'm not allowed to drive the Terminator anymore :dunno::blink:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
dragoncoach,

That is nice that you let your sone enjoy the M5 "behind the wheel" experience. I hope that my M5 is still around when my kids (which I haven't had yet) are old enough to drive, respect & appreciate it...

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me it was a reverse story. I let my father borrow my old Mustang GT when I bought it in 2002 and he did long smokey burnout leaving the driveway. But 2 years later he bought a brand new 2004 Mustang Cobra. Lets just say that.... payback is a ***** :thumbsup:

He's never driven the M5 and I'm not allowed to drive the Terminator anymore :dunno::blink:
Same for me, my dad's always had nice though fairly sane cars (Taurus SHO, Nissan Maxima, etc), and I let him drive my E39; now he's shopping for one of his own. :M5launch:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts