BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I started a new post to organize my E39 search. I apologize for being all over the place and will keep all posts regarding my search in here.

I have been looking all over the place and did come across a place in Ohio that has some of the best I have seen but like the pay to play quote I got from one member the purchase price up there. Not sure I want to spend $30K+ on one.

On another note I cam across this one on ebay:

BMW : 5-Series - eBay (item 160546469321 end time Feb-21-11 16:59:02 PST)

No way I would spend close to $40K on one but do find it strange that the person posting this was a new ebay member just a few days ago.

Also anyone in here driven a 2008+ M3. Seems like a similar V8 engine with a bit more HP (414HP). I have never driven one but have it on my radar screen as it seems the price points keep going on on the E39's I find. Being that the E90 is a 2008 it would be covered through 2012 under the 4 yr BMW maintenance warranty. Bad thing is that I could not touch one under $40K and would assume it would be hit hard with depreciation over the next 3 yrs while the E39's price has remained fairly consistent. There is no way I could buy a sweet E39 for say $27K and it two years it would be worth 60% of that amount if the mileage and condition remained consistent. I don't have any intention of selling what I get for at least 5 yrs but do want to be smart in terms of the value of the vehicle at the point I am ready to move on.

Sorry about being a bit off on the 2008 M3 but would love to hear from people that may of had one or have driven one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2008 M3 is a great car, if a little expensive on some maintenance related items. But its a blast to drive, and a great looking car. Of course, coupe > sedan, and I see you're thinking sedan, but still very nice. And I do imagine depreciation is going to continue hitting hard over the next few years.

Out of curiosity (sorry to thread jack)...what is the span of time BMW observes before they redesign their M lineup? I think its 8 years isn't it (at least judging from E46 to E90's). Seeing as how we're already into the 4th year, maybe consider focusing on the E39 only (or a cheaper clunker) and save up. That way, when the new model is out, you can either pick it up brand new, or, get a very good deal on the current E90's as people start to dump them.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Why is this in the for sale forum should be taken off topic.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree. Your threads are waaaay off topic. If you have a car for sale or want to buy a car(which you already have a thread in here for)... then and only then you are welcomed to make new theads in the for sale section. To say that you're cluttering the for sale or wanted section... its an understatement. Please stop.

·
Registered
647 Posts
...what is the span of time BMW observes before they redesign their M lineup? I think its 8 years isn't it (at least judging from E46 to E90's)...
Design cycles for BMW is usually 7 years.
7 years is right, and an M is even shorter.

A few examples for the USA market:
E36 M3: '95 - '99
E46 M3: '01 - '06

E39 M5: '00 - '03
E60 M5: '06 - '10

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed, and realize this is helping things go further off topic, but my 8 year calculation was coming from the time the cycle starts (ie. 2001 E46 M3) to the time the new model is introduced (ie. 2008 E9X M3), which is 8 years.

It gives someone time to save up I figure, that's what I plan on doing as my lease goes back in June of this year.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Why is this in the for sale forum should be taken off topic.
I agree. Your threads are waaaay off topic. If you have a car for sale or want to buy a car(which you already have a thread in here for)... then and only then you are welcomed to make new theads in the for sale section. To say that you're cluttering the for sale or wanted section... its an understatement. Please stop.
Thank you, I am getting really annoyed at having to dodge your post in pretty much every section of the board. Just because you find a new car for sale every day doesn't mean you have to make a post about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts