BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my final review of Active Autowerke ECU Software.

First, my usual disclaimer.

The information below is based on my own personal opinion and personal experience.
Your results may vary as each car is different, no two M engines are exactly alike, and your mods may be different than mine.

All my experience below is measured by my non calibrated butt-o-meter.

Your butt-o-meter may be smaller or larger than mine so if your experience is different than mine - then that's just the way it is.

I have no affiliation to Active Autowerke.

I get no discounts or any benefits from them for anyone placing an order.

Now that we got that out of the way.

My mods:

RPI air scoops; block off plates, BMC air filters, Tubi Rumore Exhaust.

• I asked AA to tune my software based on my mods above.
  • I asked them to tweak it to 92 octane as 92 is what we have here in Washington State for super unleaded. (I think California has 91 octane max for super unleaded.) They can tweak it to 93 octane if you want.
  • I asked them to remove the speed limiter but keep the rev limiter at stock 8250 rpm. The reason being - my car is still under warranty and also a CPO. I wouldnt want to jeopardize my warranty by exceeding the stock rev limiter. Note that ECU records max RPM attained.
I now have the Active Autowere software installed on my beast for a little over a month. All I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Their software is worth every penny.

I honestly think all M6 should come from the factory this way. Simply big difference compared to stock software.

All of their claims on their website I confirm to be good:

• Acceleration is much much smoother.
  • Throttle response is much improved. Car literally jumps when I thump on the gas pedal.
  • Gear shifting is smoother and crisper. (Note, this is on MDM mode. I drive my car on MDM mode 99% of the time.)
  • I can feel the increase in horsepower and torque. My butt-o-meter confirms this big time.
  • Cold start idling is much smoother.
When I installed the RPI scoops, block off plates, BMC filters and Tubi Rumore exhaust - the power improvement is just OK, minimal as I didnt feel that much difference.

I can only assume that until the ECU software is tweaked to account for the mods - performance gains will always be minimal. Software needs to be fined tuned to take full advantage of bolt on mods.

Now that AA has tuned my ECU and accounted for my mods - power improvement is very impressive.

I am 1,000% happy. Simply amazing performance transformation compared to stock software.

Support from Viral of Active Autowerke has been excellent.

Anyway, I give AA software a
two thumbs up!

Thanks again to Viral and Active Autowerke for the great software.
So far, the best money I ever spent on my beast.

Here's link to their website.

BTW, FYI, I had Powerchip Software on my M5. Their software was really good too.
I also heard great things about RPI software.

My message - I encourage anyone here to upgrade their software as the performance difference compared to stock is simply amazing.

Peace and happy new year to all of you.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Dan, it sounds great and if it passes muster with you, everyone should rest assured. But Ajax is getting rid of his 2008 for a 2010 later this year, so should probably wait until then. (Ajax is not as generous in giving away his mods as you are).

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand.

Cant wait to see your new 2010 M6!

Dan, it sounds great and if it passes muster with you, everyone should rest assured. But Ajax is getting rid of his 2008 for a 2010 later this year, so should probably wait until then. (Ajax is not as generous in giving away his mods as you are).

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:dunno:Color choice will be the hardest part. Ajax both loves and hates black.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Dan , i'm glad you liked the new AA Tuning , the M6 is a powerful car when tuning the ECU you'll feel the difference indeed
Ajax , can't wait for your 2010 , good luck bro :M5thumbs:

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
255 Posts
Awesome!

Sounds like you are very happy with the software, I hope this is still true since I am resurrecting an old thread.

Question for you about the process for installing the upgrade. How exactly is the software installed, do you get a handheld tuner? Or do you ship off your ECU? A chip to install?

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I am still very happy with the AA software. In fact, I still think this is the best mod for the beast.

There is another thread I believe from NCM6Cabrio that had AA software tune and he is extremely happy with his too.
Just kindly do a search.

When I had mine done, I had to ship my ECU to Florida via 2 day express, AA only needed 1 day to download software to my ECU, then they shipped my ECU back via 2 day express making it a 5 day turn around process.

I understand they now have local tuners that can download their software directly to your car.

Please contact Viral from AA directly.

Dan

Sounds like you are very happy with the software, I hope this is still true since I am resurrecting an old thread.

Question for you about the process for installing the upgrade. How exactly is the software installed, do you get a handheld tuner? Or do you ship off your ECU? A chip to install?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, I am still very happy with the AA software. In fact, I still think this is the best mod for the beast.

There is another thread I believe from NCM6Cabrio that had AA software tune and he is extremely happy with his too.
Just kindly do a search.

When I had mine done, I had to ship my ECU to Florida via 2 day express, AA only needed 1 day to download software to my ECU, then they shipped my ECU back via 2 day express making it a 5 day turn around process.

I understand they now have local tuners that can download their software directly to your car.

Please contact Viral from AA directly.

Dan

OK thanks for the info-overall it seems like this is one of the best bang for buck mod out there!

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if your butt-o-meter is finely and accurately calibrated as precisely as mine - I assure you once you feel the difference you will never go back to stock software. Amazing difference compared to stock software.

I found the other AA software post from Mike / NCM6Cabrio. Here it is:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...m6board-com/170815-active-autowerke-tune.html

Dan

OK thanks for the info-overall it seems like this is one of the best bang for buck mod out there!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, if your butt-o-meter is finely and accurately calibrated as precisely as mine - I assure you once you feel the difference you will never go back to stock software. Amazing difference compared to stock software.

I found the other AA software post from Mike / NCM6Cabrio. Here it is:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...m6board-com/170815-active-autowerke-tune.html

Dan
Dan
I had mine done 3 months ago based on your experience with it and def best investment for sure also I need to eliminate my cold start with my racing exhaust my start up in the morning made a lot of people upset

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dan
I had mine done 3 months ago based on your experience with it and def best investment for sure also I need to eliminate my cold start with my racing exhaust my start up in the morning made a lot of people upset
Glad you like it, Mike. After I get my headers and mufflers, I think I'm going with the Evolve tune. Heard good things about both; nice knowing the beast can be even more enjoyable to drive! :cheers:

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for letting us know!

Dan
Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts