BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings... I haven't visited the board in a couple years now -- I used to own an '03 E39 M5, which I have long since sold. I also own a replica of the Ford / Shelby Cobra, which killed an engine through oil starvation a year or so ago. It got me thinking back to this old post (where, incidentally, someone I've never heard of made some silly comments about kit assembly...):
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/123007-m5-cobra-pics.html

My favorite part of my old M5 -- naturally -- was the engine. So I bought another of BMW's well-known engines and set to work cramming it into a Cobra replica like our forum friend M5Cobra did. There was no M7 or M8, though, so I had to improvise and fabricate a bit...

The result is a twin-turbo V12 Cobra replica making 495hp and 580lb-ft of torque at the wheels. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, that means I am seeing about 576hp and 683lb-ft at the crank. Boost is currently limited to under 11psi (intercooled). The M70 block and rotating assembly can supposedly take 15-16psi, but the 10mm torque-to-yield head bolts are the weak/limiting factor. Given that I can currently spin 315/35/17 drag radials in the first three gears, I'm not really searching for any more power at the moment. I am running this through a new-old-stock Getrag BMW 850CSi 6-speed gearbox and a 2.73:1 rear-end.

I realize this is off-topic, but this is the most logical place to share, and I figured a few of you would enjoy seeing a random application of a good BMW engine. Read more and see pics here:
Unveiled: Top Secret UBERCOBRA- New Vids pg 4 - FFCobra.com - Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Thanks for looking. Motor on.
Cheers, John

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow. Congratulations on all the hard work finally paying off! Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Nice work! I'm a DukeGrad also.('92)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Wow, thats amazing, great work. I can't wait to design and complete a project of this magnitude someday!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sweet car and awesome project. Too bad you're a Duke fan :hihi:
In all seriousness, that is an amazing project!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Amazing project! What BMW had a V12?
A V12 has long been available on the top-end 7-series (older 750 models, current 760 models) and 8-series (850 model) cars. They were high-priced machines new, and it follows that they were fairly low production numbers. There is no real demand for those engines used, so whenever one is totalled, you can pick up the engine for peanuts. The long block I started with was only $500! I've also thought about picking up a used Benz V12 for a project, but they seem to retain a lot more value than the BMW units, and are more expensive even out of totaled parts cars. Plus, the aluminum intake manifolds on the M70/M73 are just works of engine art.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. A lot of time, planning, effort, and of course money went into the project. I'm proud of her -- but mostly, I sure enjoy driving her.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
647 Posts
What a monster! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
A V12 has long been available on the top-end 7-series (older 750 models, current 760 models) and 8-series (850 model) cars. They were high-priced machines new, and it follows that they were fairly low production numbers. There is no real demand for those engines used, so whenever one is totalled, you can pick up the engine for peanuts. The long block I started with was only $500! I've also thought about picking up a used Benz V12 for a project, but they seem to retain a lot more value than the BMW units, and are more expensive even out of totaled parts cars. Plus, the aluminum intake manifolds on the M70/M73 are just works of engine art.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. A lot of time, planning, effort, and of course money went into the project. I'm proud of her -- but mostly, I sure enjoy driving her.

Cheers, John
First off. Amazing project! Its nice to see some german technology under the hood of that beast rather than the traditional V8 you normally see. I am surprised how cheap a V12 can be had. My first comment to myself was, i wonder how bad he was bent over by the dealer/autowreckors. I figured because of the low production they'd all be gone or hoarded by now. Then again, low production and no demand means you can capitalize! I would be very interested to see the numbers after the headbolts are replaced! Does ARP have a part for that or will they be custom made? Sticking with bolts or going to studs? I read about the issue with the Moroso Pans vaguely. What happened with that, do they just leak all of a sudden or poor baffling?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I may have already commented on this post...but, whoa man. That is freaking fantastic. Love the video. Have fun and keep it in between the navigational beacons! Thumbs high. ///M5vrick

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very nice work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts