BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting tonights because I share a sincere comradery with you folks who frequent this board.

Two police cruisers, one fire truck, and an ambulance (all with sirens and lights). Nobody hurt. The obvious damage to my M5 is both front fenders, front bumper, hood, both Hella Euro clear headlamps, driver's door, driver's mirror, both front wheels, one (brand new) Michelin PS-2 tire, left rocker panel, at least one Brembo front brake rotor and caliper, and a Lidatek transducer. Unknowns are any unseen damage, including the motor.

The car was at the dealer today to touchup the depressions that remained on the leather sun visors after I removed the AirBag stickers. Shortly after picking up the car, I was enjoying an adult beverage at an upscale pub adjacent to the dealership with the BMW Tech that actually worked on my car. I parked my M5 out in front of the pub - the end parking spot of course - mirrors folded up. Nice and safe, right?

I could see my car from where I was seated in the pub (I always try to park where I can keep on eye on my "girl"). Next thing I know, my car is sideways, a POS Chevy pickup is t-boned into the side, my car is slammed into the car next to it, and that car is shoved into a third car.

In front of a dozen witnesses, the passenger of the pickup jumps out and runs around like a maniac, throwing something into the bushes. Later, I hear a witness telling the cop that he saw the guy throw a crack (cocaine) pipe into the bushes.

The passenger told the police that the driver "just passed out". Later, I hear the driver telling a different story to the ambulance driver. He says he started coughing uncontrollably, with phlegm choking him. Someone on the scene told me that's what happens sometimes when you smoke crack....

After things calmed down a bit, the cop told me he just drove past the location, and notice the beautiful BMW out front. When asked, he said they were going to prosecute to the fullest - driving under the influence of drugs.

It seemed everyone at the BMW dealer (Harold-Zeigler BMW Kalamazoo) was there, and they all know me. They called the tow truck, took care of everything. Offered me a loaner vehicle, but I'm very fortunate to have my 330xi to drive. The bartender gave me food and drinks "on the house". Everyone was so kind and understanding, it was all very comforting. It's my nature to make light of a bad situation, and everyone was (carefully) joking about it along with me. But I am sick inside of course, and it really does hurt. When outside, the guy in the pickup truck said "Sorry about your bimmer, man..." . I said thanks :rolleyes:

I really don't see any future in my M5. I wouldn't want to keep it repaired, or sell it to anybody. So I'll probable trade it in on something else once fixed, and the dealer will prbably send it to auction.

Even though the bartender said he hasn't seen anything like that happen in twelve years, I'm inclined to park out back from now on, instead of near the road. Even if I can't keep on eye on the car.

There's a lot of really smart, understanding, and helpful people on this board. Any recommendations or advice is appreciated.

:byebye:

11 out :crying:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Wow, sorry. Looks like you've got everything in the proper perspective...

Good luck and I hope you find a replacement soon (M5 or otherwise!).

·
Registered
188 Posts
It makes me crazy when I hear what happened to your car. I just when to your website and looked at the pictures of your can and really feel for you. Your car was beautiful and looks very well taken care of. I hope the driver of the truck has insurance and you can get what you deserve. Why not get it fixed and get another M5. I am like you and probably wouldn't want to keep the car after significant damage. It just isn't the same, knowing what happened.

Good luck.:crying2: :crying2:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Wow...horrible. So glad to hear that you weren't in the beast and that no one was hurt.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Oh Bill!!! What a terrible thing to have happen!! And for you to have to watch it! I'm so sorry! The only good thing to say about it is that you or nobody else were in your M5!
Take care of yourself, will you! And again, how sad, and crazy!
Anita

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Bill,

Sorry to hear about your loss. having had mine totaled by a red-light-runner earlier this year, I can feel your hurt and emptiness. Many times I'm driving down the road, and missed my car so much.

I hope the truck driver had sufficient insurance, and that the police has sufficient evidence to hand him the justice he deserves. I find it very difficult to understand how some people can behave so irresponsibly.

I just read your post about the possible sale of your car earlier. And now this happens. Life can be cruel.

Hope the insurance people come through for you. Please take care and know that we share your loss.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
283 Posts
Very sorry to hear what has happened. :( We all feel your pain.

On the upside, it's a new beginning and a new quest for a vehicle. It won't be your beloved E39 M5, but hey, there's the E60 and a host of other fabulous driver's cars available right now (or very soon).

You'll rediscover automotive joy in no time.

Chin up.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thank God you were not in the M5 when this happened.

I just can't believe what kind of people are out there. This is one of the craziest stories I have ever heard, and to know it happened to one of our M5 brethren, to an M5, makes it that much more crazy.

Good luck with everything. You really loved that car, and that was quite evident with each one of your posts. I hope you find a new replacement soon enough

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I am very sorry to hear of your unbelievably unfortunate incident, Bill, and hope you can find some solace in the collective grief and sympathies of your fellow board members. Please keep us aprised of your future plans.

:sad1: :sad2: :crying:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Elevens I feel your tears :crying:. My son did a number on his car last year (nobody was hurt) but with lot's of hard work and attention our shop was able to put it back together again. You have a beautiful car that might be worth saving.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear your story. It probably doesn't make you feel much better but I went through the same thing last week...I was in love with my car, and got in a wreck....I'm still sick about it!

Before:

After:

Full-size pics:

http://kissarmy.50megs.com/m3-16.jpg
http://kissarmy.50megs.com/dead1.jpg

Needless to say it's truly heartbreaking. But like a failed relationship, you have to move on. I'm hoping to get another M3 or an E39 M5, but I will always miss my first-love M3! Good luck to you in finding a new chariot.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bill,

I feel your pain, glad to hear you were not in it. As for my viper it died at the hands of a drunk driver in december, so i know what you mean to well. Have fun trying to find a replacement it's a pain in the ***. ouich

Robert

·
Registered
251 Posts
So sorry about your loss. Very sad but fortunate that guy didn't hit any people!

ELEVENS said:
I'm inclined to park out back from now on, instead of near the road. Even if I can't keep on eye on the car.
Hmm.. It might be hard for you to imagine - but I'm sure the odds of what happened to you are much smaller than the odds of someone "door dinging", vandalizing, or otherwise hurting the Beast while parked out back where you can't see her.

I'd still park in an area visible to many people (and myself if possible).

What do you think you'll get next?

Paul

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Bill,

I am so sorry to hear this. You have one of the most well cared for M5s on the board. I am glad to see you are looking at things in the right perspective though. Thank god no one was in the car and that no one was hurt. Things could have been much worse. Best of luck with the repair and possible trading in and please keep us updated on how things go.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Oh Man!

I am almost speechless. This is Hollywood movie stuff.
All the work you put into the Fog light openings etc.

Best of luck bill. You know the E60 V-10 is a 12 second car. ;) It has a Power to weight ratio better than a CSL and with a few mods, that Handle of yours would be a reality. :D Just trying to cheer you up pal.

Take care, MIB

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, but just glad you are fine. As much as we love our cars, it is only metal, it can be replaced. So, as others suggested, if it does not come back perfect, think of what you want to replace it with; low mileage 03 or perhaps E60 M5. Hang in there, it will get better! :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Bill, I'm so sorry this happened to your car, but good thing you weren't in it! Reminds me of a story I heard long ago about this guy whose life dream was to own his own cargo ship. He worked practically forever scrimping and saving, working double shifts, several jobs, 'till he finally was able to put the money down and buy one. He then spent the next several years making repairs and making the ship, well... ship-shape. Finally it was "done." So this guy goes ashore with his crew to celebrate. As they look at the ship anchored in the bay, it explodes and starts to sink. All he could say was, "ah well, so everything is new again. Just think of the possibilities!"

So it will be with your M5. They'll fix it, and if it can't be fixed, you'll get a new one. JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES! :thumbsup: :cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
Wow! Very sorry to hear about this, and am glad that the car was not occupied at the time.

The e60 M5 is waiting for you :hihi:.

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts