BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, my poor, poor car....I found a few rough bits in it recently.

--A chip in the streering wheel near the radio control buttons--yes it looks light underneath the chip, so it really shows up.

--The carpeting on the side by the accelerator pedal is looking worn--must be all that punching I do :haha:

I know these are very minor things, but any ideas on how to fix up or prevent further wear. I hate my car looking harsh in any way.

Thanks!
Anita

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Depending on which type of steering wheel you have, you can change it relatively simply... plenty of good condition ones available on ebay..

As for the carpet, is it just the Mat? or the actual carpet lining? if its the later, best bet would be a scrap yard and sourcing the drivers side piece, shouldn't be too difficult in fitting...

hope this helps.
tin

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tin said:
As for the carpet, is it just the Mat? or the actual carpet lining? if its the later, best bet would be a scrap yard and sourcing the drivers side piece, shouldn't be too difficult in fitting...

hope this helps.
tin
Thanks so much for the ideas--yes, it's the actual carpet lining that's showing wear-I think a new carpet will be the only cure.

I'm sure these things are not nearly as noticable to any one else (except fellow board members!!). So, maybe I can just get by with touching up my steering wheel chip with a Sharpie Marker :hihi:

Thanks again!
Anita

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anita said:
Thanks so much for the ideas--yes, it's the actual carpet lining that's showing wear-I think a new carpet will be the only cure.

I'm sure these things are not nearly as noticable to any one else (except fellow board members!!). So, maybe I can just get by with touching up my steering wheel chip with a Sharpie Marker :hihi:

Thanks again!
Anita
The Sharpie thing occurred to me, too. I have a scratch across the bottom spoke of my wheel -- I think it might have been from the seat belt? Anyway, it goes down to the white under-layer. Anybody know what it takes to replace that part, or have any other cover-up suggestions??

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I got a part number and price for the bottom portion of the what is called the "M Cover"--it comes in two pieces and--ready for this--the cost of the bottom piece is $122.64, part #32 34 7 833 355.

My SA suggested fixing up the chip with matte black car touch-up paint. I've got a couple of layers on, using the one-tiny-layer-per-day-applied-with-the-tip-of-a-fresh-tooth-pick-method. I ended up using a Testors model matte black paint--seems okay so far--not perfect of course--but hella cheap.

Anita

1 - 5 of 5 Posts