BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I was in a pretty severe accident on January 2 driving to work. Moron turned left in front of me; there was a van to my left as we were traveling through the intersection so I didn't see the car (Expedition SUV) until it was right in front of me. I braked but didn't have nearly enough time so I impacted him at probably 40+ MPH. His vehicle then ran on top of my hood and spun off on the other side of the road. My airbag deployed and the car did all the things that it is supposed to do. Namely, it sacrificed itself for me. I'm not going to go into my injuries and whatnot, but suffice it to say that I'm intact and alive. Don't worry about me - it's just that I'm not going to post anything about my physical injuries on the Internet before I've settled with the insurance company.

This was my 2003 M5 that I spent over four months searching for before flying up to Chicago to buy it from the original owner with only 17K miles on it this past Summer. It had 20,500 miles at time of death. The insurance company estimated at least $26,000 of damage, so they declared the car a constructive (total) loss.

I know our list owner likes to see pictures of destroyed cars, so I've attached one here. Aside from the obvious stuff, the entire right side suspension, steering, etc. was destroyed, the wheel, the cooling system, and there was surely damage to the frame. The engine looked OK and everything behind the firewall was fine - all the doors work, no intrusion to the passenger cabin.

I let the insurance company keep the car, so I only had a little bit of stuff to sell on the "for sale" forum, and most of it is gone.

I'm not going to buy another M5. Lots of reasons for this, but after all I went through to get that car, right now, another one isn't going to be a good idea for me. I've ordered a new 335 coupe, which should arrive in March. Hopefully that boat won't tip over. :3:

I've learned a lot on this forum and hopefully I've been able to help a few as well. I'll check in every-so-often to see how you guys are doing and check the "for sale" forum for a good deal.

Take care. Watch out for the morons out there!ouich

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
Man that sucks...sorry to hear about your accident. Wish I could have taken your rear rims lol.

Glad your okay and congrats on the 335.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Terrible

Michael,

That is terrible news. I'll send you a private email.

We were looking together for all that time and both found our LMB dream cars - shame to see your dream end like that!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Glad you are okay and the beast did its job to protect you...enjoy the 335!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Geez.....

'Sorry to read this; glad you're OK. Damned, 'wish you had negotiated with Ins. company to keep engine/tranny. With those low miles, 'would have been easy to sell for nice $$$.

Anyway, good luck with new car.:)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay. I have read about far too many board member crashes in the last few months. Hopefully yours is the last we will hear about for some time.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay. I have read about far too many board member crashes in the last few months. Hopefully yours is the last we will hear about for some time.
+1

After sufficient in-seat drive time in the new car, perhaps you can let us know how it compares.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Thats so weak, man. Especially when you've owned the car for less time than you looked for it. As others have said, glad you're OK, and enjoy the 335!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sorry to hear that your beast is gone. Glad you're OK! Congrats on the new 335!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Like everyone else, I am glad you are OK. Have fun with your 335.

Personally, I HATE SUVs, all of them. Especially FORDs or anyother grotesquely obese American ones.grrrrrrr

If I was in charge I would have them all hauled to the recyclers yard, drained of all hazardous materials, crushed into nice cubes, then put to work as fishing and surfing reef.

I really hate 'um.

Now I feel better

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Like everyone else, I am glad you are OK. Have fun with your 335.

Personally, I HATE SUVs, all of them. Especially FORDs or anyother grotesquely obese American ones.grrrrrrr
Don't forget the big japanese ones like the Sequoia. Dats racist! :grrrr:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Too bad you didn't keep the motor and transmission...dropping the M5 motor into a e36 M3, E46 M3 or Z3 chassis would've left you with a really sweet ride.

Chip that 335 and go to town! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Glad your ok...I almost got into an accident today on my way home from RPI, a pickup truck decided to change lanes (without warning/ signaling) while i was right next to him...good thing the Mcoupe was nimble and my reflex is still good:biggrin:...enough to avoid the truck and I think the newly installed RPI scoops helped:hihi: as i had to push the throttle more to avoid...the driver was even in shock on how the heck i was able to avoid him...but it was a close call and happy i'm here to share the story...

·
Registered
458 Posts
sorry to hear dude. that sucks.

maybe it's the picture but that sure doesn't look like 26k in damage. i'd have a hard time letting the ins. co. keep it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
maybe it's the picture but that sure doesn't look like 26k in damage.

It sure doesn't. But with the price markup for parts on M5 and the associated labor I can see them coming up with such a high number, especially if there is frame damage.

However, it wouldnt suprise me if a shop bought the wreck, replaced the front clip and put it back on the market - without a salvage title.

Sorry for your loss. Have fun in the new toy.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Very sorry to hear, but very happy that you are Ok. Post your impressions of your 335 after you have lived with it for a while! I almost purchased one instead of the M coupe.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Feel your pain....My M5 sacrificed its life for mine on Dec.9th.....I however opted to owner retain the car...like yours it did everything it was supposed to do....I however want to find a replacement same color combo CB/Caramel.
Can you elaborate on why not another M5???...I fully understand about the insurance.
Regards
Good Luck
S

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sorry about the accident:sad3:. It was a nice looking car.

Let me know if you have parts you want to sell like luxury leather dash (if you have it), washer pump, micro filter, frigg'in cupholder, front floor mats, etc. I'm due for inspection II and could use some maintenance parts too. You can still get something out of this and part your car pretty easily.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts