BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this has happened to anyone but i saw my oil level at 0.0 when i took my beast to get my seat brakets fixed and forgot to add the oil when the car was ready a week later. And today after taking the car out for a long time, i remembered and checked the oil level on my onboard computer to find that it was reading -0.1 :eek::eek::eek: ouichouichouich

Literally my heart was in my throat but thank God nothing happened and its home safe now. Anyone ever experience this ? Suprisingly, i didnt get any low oil warning though.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me, I forgot about it also. Mine actually got to -0.2 L No problems though, the tech said it was no big deal. It actually took the computer over 2 weeks to adjust for the 2 quarts that were added

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
add a quart....

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
A negative oil level is like an overdraft account.....except, your engine blows up and the dealer laughs at you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I check my oil constantly through the I Drive and the steering wheel stick and I
always wait until the meter reads .1 or
.2 in which I will put in 1 quart. Then, if you want to get an accurate reading, you must drive on the freeway for 15 minutes. If you are local for a week or so,
the reading will not be accurate. I once had a reading of 1.4 and freaked! I took it to the dealer right away and they took
care of the problem. Hope that helps.
I am putting about 1 quart for every 1,000 miles and my car is an 07 with a six speed.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Thankfully my OCD forces me to immediately put a quart in as soon as it hits .2.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me, I forgot about it also. Mine actually got to -0.2 L No problems though, the tech said it was no big deal. It actually took the computer over 2 weeks to adjust for the 2 quarts that were added
By simple math, you filled your oil to 1.8 liters, well above the max recommended level. Hope you removed some.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
...checked the oil level on my onboard computer to find that it was reading -0.1...
Would be like finding the oil level just a hair below the lower line on the dipstick. Not too much to worry about. Just add the liter and don't give it another thought. Should eventually read about 0.9 on the electronic dipstick when it equilibrates.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
By simple math, you filled your oil to 1.8 liters, well above the max recommended level. Hope you removed some.
That's how much he put in and I haven't had any warnings or abnormal issues with the car since. About a month or month and a half ago, should I still be worried?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I added oil last night and today after driving it for a bit it read 1.1 :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That's how much he put in and I haven't had any warnings or abnormal issues with the car since. About a month or month and a half ago, should I still be worried?
Probably too late now, unless your level is above 1.2 or 1.3 right now. As it took the computer "over two weeks to adjust", my guess is that either you weren't driving a long enough distance to get a reading, or it wouldn't/couldn't give a reading that high. What was the reading when it finally appeared, what is it now, and how many miles have you driven since adding it?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Probably too late now, unless your level is above 1.2 or 1.3 right now. As it took the computer "over two weeks to adjust", my guess is that either you weren't driving a long enough distance to get a reading, or it wouldn't/couldn't give a reading that high. What was the reading when it finally appeared, what is it now, and how many miles have you driven since adding it?

Don't worry, there is a fail-safe mechanical system... You will see pistons and other parts going through the hood of your car :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just wait until the yellow oil can sysmbol comes up in the guage cluster, which shows around 0.2 to -0.2 depending on how hard your recent driving has been. That's when I put the quart in, no problems in 2-years of ownership doing this method, that way I don't have to worry or keep watching the guage. (Of course I have 1L of oil in the trunk ready for that time so not caught off guard) With dry sump there is still approx 8.3L of oil being pumped in the system anyway when you are at min. Warren

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Just wait until the yellow oil can sysmbol comes up in the guage cluster, which shows around 0.2 to -0.2 depending on how hard your recent driving has been. That's when I put the quart in, no problems in 2-years of ownership doing this method, that way I don't have to worry or keep watching the guage. (Of course I have 1L of oil in the trunk ready for that time so not caught off guard) With dry sump there is still approx 8.3L of oil being pumped in the system anyway when you are at min. Warren
Note the OP, he didn't get the low oil warning. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Note the OP, he didn't get the low oil warning. :dunno:
True. I even had a car mess with me but i couldnt go more than 1/4 throttle cuz of the fear of damaging my engine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've driven 30 miles on the highway and seen it go down by .8! What I discovered is that the system is not resetting itself periodically. Now I reset it at least once a week to get a new reading. Now its more accurate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts