BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the setting menu, the Bluetooth option has a "tick" sign next to it which means it's enabled, but when i search using my Nokia 6680, i cannot pick up anything. :( what's the deal?

·
Registered
829 Posts
M-bitious said:
Your nokia has not been cleared for the bmw bluetooth. Have a look at the compatibility list.

Frank.
I have the same phone, where can I find this list and any news on when BMW will get off their arses and clear this phone for use? It's been out for 6 months now, maybe with the v19 update?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M-bitious said:
Your nokia has not been cleared for the bmw bluetooth. Have a look at the compatibility list.

Frank.
cleared? what tha'.....? that's pethatic....i mean it's just a phone with BT, BT is the same with everyphone.

guess i will have to give my sony ericsson K750 a go.

btw i forgot to mention, my Nokia 6680 did manage to pick up the M5 bluetooth once, but when i accepted it got stuck on connecting and nothing happened. :(

how do i check what version i have?

·
Registered
829 Posts
So the only phones that work are phones that are autodated... BMW really needs todo something about that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
marwan said:
cleared? what tha'.....? that's pethatic....i mean it's just a phone with BT, BT is the same with everyphone.

guess i will have to give my sony ericsson K750 a go.

btw i forgot to mention, my Nokia 6680 did manage to pick up the M5 bluetooth once, but when i accepted it got stuck on connecting and nothing happened. :(

how do i check what version i have?
BT is not BT. There are many compatibility issues between BT products. The correct question in this instance is why doesn't the phone manufacturer of the new phone (just out less than 6 months) make their phone compatible with existing systems. If you think BMW should update their software regularly for each new phone introduced, it isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Interesting list of phones - no Palm or PocketPC based phones. My Treo 650 works great with the car but it's not on the list.

·
Registered
383 Posts
marwan said:
in the setting menu, the Bluetooth option has a "tick" sign next to it which means it's enabled, but when i search using my Nokia 6680, i cannot pick up anything. :( what's the deal?
Check that you are tryong to pair the phone correctly with the manual as its a bit different that the other versions. Firstly the setup is under the information menu, bottom option I think, and not the comunication menu (it caught me out). But even if the phone is not compatable, my SPV C500 plays up and wont answer calls ect, you should be able to pair them still.

I have gone into detail with my dealer about the phones, as mine is due replacement, and there is a more detailed list available on the BMW intranet. I have a printed copy, sorry no scanner to up load, and will check to see if your phone is on the list when I get it from the car later.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
When we have that updated list it should become a sticky topic? And if someone uses a phone which is not on the list, but still works fine with BT then these can be added.

Frank

·
Registered
383 Posts
I will be getting a copy of the information from the intranet in PDF fprmat on Friday so I will post it up for everyone to see. This is the latest list but as we have found there are alot of phones that arn't on the list that will work.

The post about making a sticky with phones that people get to work is a great idea. My only issue is that I want to take advantage of the boosted aerial in the car so have to get one with a snap in adapter to do this.

Last years phone for me this time then ouich

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Digi said:
BT is not BT. There are many compatibility issues between BT products. The correct question in this instance is why doesn't the phone manufacturer of the new phone (just out less than 6 months) make their phone compatible with existing systems. If you think BMW should update their software regularly for each new phone introduced, it isn't going to happen.
I always thought BT is an industry standard, not proprietary to any one manufacturer or groups of manufacturers. As such, it should not have any restrictions or limitations. The only diff that I can think of is between BT and the new EDR BT

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Rezf said:
I always thought BT is an industry standard, not proprietary to any one manufacturer or groups of manufacturers. As such, it should not have any restrictions or limitations. The only diff that I can think of is between BT and the new EDR BT
This is not my writing, but I think it states the problem clearly:

"Bluetooth relies on profiles to allow different devices to communicate with each other. Both devices need the same profile in order to do so. The problem is that hands-free got fragmented into two standards.

Most of the industry went with one profile, Siemens went with the other one. Siemens then helped BMW develop their in-car bluetooth system and guess which profile they chose to support? Yup, the one that Siemens uses.

These days some manufacturers support both profiles (Nokia), but some still only support one (Sony Ericsson).

Siemens are virtually guaranteed to work whilst Nokia phones have a very good chance of working."

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hey all

We had the same problem with a Nokia 6600, but it is all sorted now. What you need to do is go down to a nokia shop, tell him that you have this car with bluetooth kit and you've read on the internet a firmware upgrade will do it.

Thats right, what you need is called a firmware upgrade, basicly it upgrades the phone's performance, and then there will be a very good chance that it WILL speak with the beast.

Of course I can't guarentee anything, but it worked for us - took me ages of researching to figure out what to be done tho.

Happy Motoring

·
Registered
306 Posts
My wife's Nokia 8800 works in her 750i and it's not on the list. "Works" sometimes I should say. The BMW bluetooth is flaky at best. The 8800 will dial and accept calls, download the phone book, but when a call is made or received, the other party must hang up or it locks up and no Radio, CD, Sat, will work unless the car is restarted. We disabled bluetooth on the 750. Would have been pretty cool.

My Sony P910 won't work either.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here is the latest intranet PDF list for phones and compatability for E60's. It lists the phones firmware as well.

As many people have siad this is not definitive, more will work than listed, but it does show all of the snap in adapters available at the moment.

Hope it helps
Sacha...

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Sony Ericsson K750i and it works 100% with my E60 M5. The only problem is that there is no snap-in adapter to allow it to use the car aerial.

I also have a Siemens S65 and this too works 100% - and there is a snap-in adapter for it.

Interestingly when the dealer gave me a E60 525d with Bluetooth Preparation as a courtesy car, the K750i didn't work properly with it. I could sometimes connect but sometimes not and the address book would not download.

Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts