BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..
So I got my 2002 M5 with 58k miles on it about 3 weeks ago and also bought the aftermarket warranty for 4 grand which is supposedly the best coverage they have and also covers the seals and gaskets. Its chiaretto red and is such a beautiful car. I just had a couple questions on what I should change on it right away. I've read some posts of what usually goes wrong at this mileage but wondering what you guys think about it..

I've already done an oil change with castrol tws 10w60 and changed the bank 1 intake camshaft position sensor. I've changed the airfilters and also have cleaned the MAF's as per the instructions on this forum.
My next items that I plan on doing besides tinting my windows are:

1.CUPHOLDERS. (Not really maintenance but one side is broken.. go figure)

2. The drive belt looks cracked and is missing teeth.. I'm thinking that this is bad since our motors produce so much power and spin so fast that a slipping belt when pushing the car hard doesn't seem impossible. I want to replace it.

3. My brake light came on and remains lit and the check brake linings warning came on at the same time so I have the rear brakes and sensor ready to install.

4. Spark Plugs? Why not.. My guess is that they've never been changed are due for new ones..

5. Bushings. When I press the brakes with sudden hard force I hear a "CLUNK" but its not too bad.. A previous bmw I've had used to do this but was way more noticeable.

My question..

What do you guys think of my list and is there anything else that I should add? I'm planning on buying all of the parts tomorrow or sometime next week..

Also after I cleaned my mafs I gained some oomph but it still sometimes feels like something is holding the car back a bit.. when I first got it before the cps intermittently started going bad it felt scary fast.. maybe its just me getting used to the car however..

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Good morning,

welcome here. Any pics?
Your car runs not so much. If you change the bushes, I would prefer the Powerflex bushes.
They are better and stronger than oem bushes. Your car gets more stability.

If we are buying here in germany a M car, we change the bearing shells, with bearing bolt.
You have to think about, when you reach the 100.000km on the clock.
If you do this, I would change the cylinder head gaskets. We had some cases, they burned out.
Please check all pipes in the engine bay. My pipes from the secondary pump was broken.
You get an error message.
Your BMW dealer have to check the error memory if there are any error messages.
Check all belts, if they are in a good condition.
Every 2 years you have to change the brake fluid. Check this.
I changed all fluids in my car.
Later you can check the bearing from the hubs.

At the moment I‘m changing the hubs on the front axle.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Cylinder head gaskets go rarely on the S62...so not really an issue

If the MAFs perform better after cleaning,they are shot.Cleaning them is only a very short improvement,new MAFs should go in.
Check the forum sponsor section,Bimmerzone has a good deal on those.

Changing spark plugs is a good idea,also change the fuel filter.You might as well change differential and gearbox oil.

Change the belt asap if it is in this condition.If it breaks and wraps around the fan clutch,serious damage can happen!

The "clunk" while braking is most likely the thrust arms.

As already suggested,check the error codes in the ECU...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Im curious when you did the PPI did these issues come up? Also where did you find the chiaretto, BMW dealer or independent, im curious who underwrote the warranty?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
First off, congratulations on the new ///M!!! You will have a long love affair with it, enjoy every moment you're driving. We all do.

Secondly...
1. Plugs [I get mine from rockauto, go with the NGKs]
2. MAFs [Bimmerzone - best deal hands down]
3. Fuel Filter [from rockauto with the plugs]
4. Air filters [i procure them locally here, but likely from rockauto as well]
5. Pre-cat O2 sensors [get the Bosch from amazon]

You can do all of this on your won. O2 sensors may require a bit of wiggling to get to.

Reactions: jB88

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Get into the secret OBC menu (search the forum here) and check the coolant temp. Should run no lower than 79C. The thermostat's in these cars tend to go out or get weak around this time frame. Good news is the thermostats usually fail in the open stat and do not usually fail closed causing overheating. Usually they fail causing the engine to run too cold and possibly through coolant and Cat codes.

FYI, I will not run my car hard until the oil temp hits 80C, again you can find this in the secret OBC menu.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Welcome to the Board!

Looks like you've been busy reading up on your new car, so I'm sure you are catching the important stuff right up front. (like the tint and cupholders ;))

First thing I would ask is how detailed are the records that came with the car? There are quite a few maintenance items that should be addressed right now if you lack the records.

As others have stated already: fluids, rubber, sensors, filters, and plugs.

Sounds like a great find. Good luck,

dj

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Since it is an E39 M5 I wouldn't worry about "wondering" what to change on it right away...she'll tell you on her own soon enough. ;>
I've owned mine since about March of last year (I put about 11K miles on it in that time and have 58K miles now). The items that officially broke or the car needed include:

1. One rear swaybar bracket ($8)
2. FSU ($90)
3. Both rear door inner water shields (restuck with pookie I already had...symptom is a wet floorboard)
4. Thermostat ($70 - exactly as jfoj describes - did this one just yesterday)
5. Power steering cap o-ring - $2 (common item that many folks don't even realize exists)
6. One tire ($225) - not the cars fault of course...had a razor blade embedded in it that chewed it up good
7. Two oil changes ($230+) - Dang TWS is CRAZY expensive!!
8. New thrust arms - $270) - this was an attempt to address some minor vibration. Didn't really help, but one bushing was obviously headed South
9. Fuel Vapor Valve - ($80)

Beyond that, I chose to spend on:

1. Replace MAFS - ($329 from Bimmerzone) wasted attempt to cure jerky throttle
2. Plugs - ($50 or so) at 56K miles I figured why not
3. Dr. Colorchip - ($39) took care of obvious road rash on front bumper
4. Buffing pads/compounds - ($80 or so) - did a 2 day buffing session with my son
5. Windshield ($400+ - BMW glass) - I could almost put this one in the section above as it was so pitted I couldn't live with it any longer (driving into the sun mornings and afternoons was horrible)

Sheesh, that's dang near $1900 and I'm still chasing the jerky throttle (may do a tune or other parts) and would like to touch-up my leather seats - dealer I bought the car from had them touched up, but after a year it is definitely wearing off.

Just my .02...or (more accurately) $1900.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I'd be VERY concerned with a $4000 warranty on a 9 year old car. Did you read and understand the ACTUAL POLICY? (And not just rely on what the salesman said and the glossy brochure they hand out???)

Every warranty I've seen for such old cars is very weak.... You may have a recision period if indeed it turns out the policy isn't what was represented- actually many times they do not give you the policy until later via the mail and therefore they are forced to give you 30, 60 days to review and possibly return.

GL

A

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys..
Im in the process of ordering those items from bimmerzone..
definitely getting those mafs..
checked the computer codes and no errors since I changed my cps sensor..
All the parts that you suggested are also in my shopping cart vantaam5 thanks!
What do you suggest for the differential and gear oil and how much should i get? I'm looking at bimmerzone and they have a few different options..
After I've got all the parts in the cart I'm going to call and ask if I can get a discount before I order ;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'd be VERY concerned with a $4000 warranty on a 9 year old car. Did you read and understand the ACTUAL POLICY? (And not just rely on what the salesman said and the glossy brochure they hand out???)

Every warranty I've seen for such old cars is very weak.... You may have a recision period if indeed it turns out the policy isn't what was represented- actually many times they do not give you the policy until later via the mail and therefore they are forced to give you 30, 60 days to review and possibly return.

GL

A
I had asked as well where he bought the car and who underwrote the policy as I am very interested.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you have an extended warranty why are you buying all those parts? Before I started throwing all that money I'd see what the warranty company will cover and go from there. Did u get a PPI done with the car?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the car from a wholesaler in the bay area. Quite a few of my family and friends are deep into the car business and one of my uncles good friends helped me go get the car and transferred the car to me after he purchased it from the wholesaler. I asked him about the warranty and he said its a great idea and the work gets done at Niello bmw when anything goes wrong. $200 deductible but I believe it will be well worth the added security..
And CAB jerky throttle may be related to a cps?

The previous owner of the car was a doctor and I got the records for what he did.. More like a 2 inch stack of papers.. lol
I DO have the seat twist problem on both of my front seats though and when you recline them they twist inward.. other than that they work fine..
I dont run my car hard either until i see the oil temp gauge get quite a bit warmer..

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have an extended warranty why are you buying all those parts? Before I started throwing all that money I'd see what the warranty company will cover and go from there. Did u get a PPI done with the car?
I dont think it will cover maintenance items..
I'm waiting for my clutch to go bad.. the valve covers.. possibly the vanos but I have an 02 that doesn't really burn oil so far and I'm at 60,300 miles now ;)
I don't want to wait for things to break to use the warranty I want to keep the beast in tip top shape from the start.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've attached some pictures guys..
I dont want her to have too much exposure to photography however until I limo tint the back windows and 15% the front side..
Had this setup on my black 02 530i sport and ohh man was she sexy

Attachments

Reactions: crds

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The short term solution for the seat twist problem is to level the seat back and unplug the connector under the seat for the recliner. This is VERY easy to do and will keep passengers from screwing with the seat recliner until you get the problem sorted out.

This is what I did on my passenger seat as with 6 inches of snow and sub freezing weather, I think I will wait until Spring time to disconnect the battery, pull the seat and then flip it upside down to repair the cable issue. I looked at trying to do this with the seat still in the car, but my '03 seems much different and more difficult to repair when in the car.

I hear you on the warranty, but $4k would go a long way to fix most of what typically happens with these cars. Additionally, most warranty companies are like health insurance companies, they deny everything and you have to fight for every thing you need covered. YMMV

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hear you on the warranty, but $4k would go a long way to fix most of what typically happens with these cars. Additionally, most warranty companies are like health insurance companies, they deny everything and you have to fight for every thing you need covered. YMMV
Yup.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Can you share the warranty company name - if it's a good policy I would be interested as I only have 30k miles - issue might be age...please share...

Oh - and welcome to the board!!!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Welcome! It's nice to see another Chiaretto Red car on the board. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts