BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally managed to get this all sorted after 2 days working out how to do it etc, and waiting for silicone sealant to dry etc, its all done..

Got hold of some CCFL brighter/sparkly lights for the e46's and adapted them to replace the old yellow halo e39 lights..

Will get some daytime pics in the morning, litterally just finished this at 2am in the morning! :typing:

close up


both lights.

Old light comparison


Very happy with the way they turned out, and very cheap too!
results speak for themselves! :thumbsup:

Tin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ALEV8 said:
Wow!!!
Bulbs? Ballasts? Both? Blimey!
Do tell.........:confused3
thanks dude,

no ballasts required, direct replacement of existing halo's with some minor work.. wired up to existing wiring etc

more pics to follow.
:cheers:
Tin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Any concerns with the light that they throw on the road, compared to the stock ones, which seem to do a nice job?

Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M5Kid said:
Any concerns with the light that they throw on the road, compared to the stock ones, which seem to do a nice job?

Travis
I always found the stock halflights/angel eyes to be rather weak... these however do actually light up the area infront... will do some road pics.

JWGT2 said:
What a great mod! Looks great.
Where do I get this?
How much did it cost?
The ccfl rings, cost me £80 (about $150) with DIY install, which is quite long.

Once I've tested them over a month or so, I'll post up an install guide.

SC'dKellenersM5 said:
i believe that umnitnziaita (however) has them in full projector housings
Ah, wasn't aware they do them...is it for the complete headlight unit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Congrats - I have been trying to make mine look a bit brighter.... without looking like a modded vectra... :hihihi: (you beat me to it!!)

I must see it in person - how much modding was required?

how many mods left to do on your car? :2:

BTW - lets have some pic of that rear diffuser in Blue!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whizzkid11 said:
Congrats - I have been trying to make mine look a bit brighter.... without looking like a modded vectra... :hihihi: (you beat me to it!!)

I must see it in person - how much modding was required?

how many mods left to do on your car? :2:

BTW - lets have some pic of that rear diffuser in Blue!!
Vectra? hahah no ways dude! must be the quickest vectra in london! :2:

The install involves, taking apart the light completely, ie heating it up fully, to flex the existing sealant, so that the front clear cover can be removed, the light then taken apart etc.. once you know how, its quite straight forward, just time consuming.

Mod's left.. hmm.. one big mod that I can only get from Discovery Automotive :eek: but I'm fast running out of ideas now.. :confused:

Blue diffuser? hahah its pretty much the same colour as yours at the mo, in black.. need to clean the car again! :hihihi:

Tin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
Why not just change the Angel Eyes bulb?

Because the light of the rings is determined by the wattage and color of the the bulb in the housing, wouldn't it be easier to attempt to just simply change the OEM bulb?

I realize that the bulb is a 10W bayonnte bulb which is not going to be the most common type in the world. That being said, I have taken the bulb out before and it is not difficult at all.

Just imagine, you could put a green bulb and a red bulb in for the Christmas light effect this time of year! Orange ones for Halloween.

Anyone have any input as to just replacing this bulb?

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Why not just change the Angel Eyes bulb?

MAH said:
Because the light of the rings is determined by the wattage and color of the the bulb in the housing, wouldn't it be easier to attempt to just simply change the OEM bulb?

I realize that the bulb is a 10W bayonnte bulb which is not going to be the most common type in the world. That being said, I have taken the bulb out before and it is not difficult at all.

Just imagine, you could put a green bulb and a red bulb in for the Christmas light effect this time of year! Orange ones for Halloween.

Anyone have any input as to just replacing this bulb?

Mark
Mark,

A friend of mine tried this with a brighter/slighty higher wattage bulb (15w) and after an hour of driving with the lights one, the bulb had melted the holder!! hmmm was a nasty sight...

I've had these lights on for 20-30minutes and there is very little heat from them..

will know for sure after long term tests
Tin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Very nice Tin... are you applying for the Hayezsquad? :hihi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ashok Arora said:
Very nice Tin... are you applying for the Hayezsquad? :hihi:
LOL... Our alternative... EvoTechnik :2:

Tin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
-very hot man... thats the style i want for my 2000 M5...

-i have some questions for any1 that can help me out... 1)can i keep the same factory headlights of my car while just adding the angel eye ornament to it?...

2)i feel that a generic brand is always going to be a risky replacement from the factory part... so does any1 know what the best option for my car is?...:confused2
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,455 Posts
Petey Pop said:
-very hot man... thats the style i want for my 2000 M5...

-i have some questions for any1 that can help me out... 1)can i keep the same factory headlights of my car while just adding the angel eye ornament to it?...
I think unmitza has those, they are a board sponsor, check their link on the top of the page. (or pm him)
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,354 Posts
i cant stop drooooling! Great work bro!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Petey Pop said:
-very hot man... thats the style i want for my 2000 M5...

-i have some questions for any1 that can help me out... 1)can i keep the same factory headlights of my car while just adding the angel eye ornament to it?...

2)i feel that a generic brand is always going to be a risky replacement from the factory part... so does any1 know what the best option for my car is?...:confused2
Do you have the pre-facelift lights? if so, yes you can add these CCFL rings to those, although, it'll be worth upgrading to the newer style oem Angel-eye lights, its so much more nicer looking imho.

thanks for the compliments guys! defo one of the better mods I've done! :7:
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top