BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a elm 327, that scould work whith my andoid phone whith bluetooth. But it dosent... does my beast support obd 2. its from 2000 with a obd plug under the dash, and a round service plug under the hood. The program i use one my phone is torque from android. It conect whith the phone and searces for the ecu, but says end the end " cannot conect to ecu" Here is some info on the elm scanner:

Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 fault code reader.
Wireless connectivity via Bluetooth.
Supports CAN bus!
Perfect for Android, for example, together with free program Torque:

Works on particular Android 2.0 and later, Windows Mobile, Windows (PC), Linux, etc.

Now it is no more hassle with cables when it comes to diagnosed the car.
Just plug the device, plug ignition of the car and connect wirelessly from your laptop or handheld device.

Through the wire read interface it is possible to read and reset the generic and manufacturer specific trouble codes and monitor a wide range of engine values and read the VIN data.

Works for most cars produced from 1996 to today (see more below).

Why use an OBDII reader?
Although one does not repair cars, you can save money by themselves to diagnose your car. It is now possible even to read out any error codes and decide whether it is a transient error you want to reset itself, so "check engine " light does not light up anymore.

You can also use the reader to check a car before purchase. Not all errors on the motor results in the "check engine " light Fault Code Reader allows you to see these errors!

This product can of course also be used by professional mechanics who are tired of that hassle of wires.

Supported OBDII Protocols
SAE J1850 PWM
SAE J1850 VPW
ISO 9141-2
ISO 14230 (KWP2000)
CANBUS

What is CAN / CANbus?
Controller Area Network (CAN) is the newest protocol within automotive.CAN protocol is approximately 50 times faster than previous protocols.
They began to use CAN in some cars of 2003 and 2007, all cars reportedly using CAN.

Sensor data:
The following sensor data can be displayed for most cars (note that there is a difference in how much data the car makes available):
Engine speed
Relative load
Coolant Temperature
Fuel system status
The car's speed
Short Term Fuel Trim
Long Term Fuel Trim
Intake manifold pressure
Timing Advance
Intake air temperature
Airflow
Accelerator position
Oxygen sensor voltages / associated short term fuel trim
Fuel pressure
Many more ..

Software:
Includes some programs to output the values, etc.
Many more can be downloaded from the network for both Windows, Iphone, Android and Windows Mobile.
Note that it is hardware purchased and the included software is only a courtesy. For this reason we can not provide support for the programs.
Suggested applications:
Torque for Android
Scantool.net
GM Mode 22 Scan Tool by Terry
OBD Gauge for PalmOS and Pocket PC by Dana Peters
OBD Logger by Jonathan Senkerik
OBD-II ScanMaster by Wladimir Gurskij (ScanMaster 3.52 - local copy) obd2crazy.com
OBD2 Scantool by Ivan Andrewjeski
OBDII for ELM322 by David Huffman
pyOBD city Donour Sizemore for MacOSX and Linux
RDDTC town Pete Calinski
Real Scan by Brent Harris
Scan tests for Pocket PC by Ivan Ganev aka a-look
wOBD city WDT

Guide to use
Install enclosed or otherwise OBDII program.
Turn off the car.
Find the OBDII connector and connect the device.
Put the ignition on the car without starting it.
OBDII scanner will now find your car's protocol.
Follow the program instructions on the screen.

Supported cars:
Does my car OBDII?
Most cars produced from 1996 onwards have OBDII.
To be sure, you can find OBDII connector in your car, it is often under the dashboard, the driver's feet or behind an ashtray.
Check that the car is "OBD II Certified".

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
It maybe your units,but there is a problem with M5s communicating with OBDII. There is factory updated software that fixes this issue. BMW has all the vins on file so you might take your vin to a BMW dealer and ask them if you have had the update, if not get it.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Set up the profile in Torque for the M5 properly. I set up the profile fine for the Mini and then it wouldn't connect to the M5 until I switched to the correct profile.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi, this is really interesting regarding the new flash. Is it something I can do myself or do I have to take it to a dealer and pay?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I went into elms BMW in cambridge today and asked about this.nthey said there may be an update available but they charge an hours labour at 125 quid. I want to be sure it will fix the issue first...

Are there people using iPhone apps with the wifi dongles on the board?

·
Registered
797 Posts
The U.S. update was free so the inspection equipment could talk to the M5. It sounds like it also caused the oversensitive throttle some have.

Good Luck,

dj

·
Registered
710 Posts
UK money grabbers ey? ;) Yeah I'm hoping it does adjust my throttle. I would like it to be more sensitive. I'm use to jap cable operated throttles. This beamer one needs pressing so much I get foot ache! :)

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Just a note the update may not solve the issue with the unit. It may be you still need to configure the unit. Without the update you won't be able to configure the unit as a whole.Two step process likely.

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Don't mean to confuse but I just faced this last night.Car was updated because it would not communicate with an OBDII tool. Once updated the settings in the car changed so I had to clear the settings in the tool and start again then no problem, but something got stored in the device so after the update it was confused. Don't know your produce but the same may apply.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh I see, its the scan tool that remembered some information. That makes sense. Thanks.

I would also like to know actually if the fuelling and ignition maps etc get wiped when the DME is updated. Does anyone know? I have a feeling I might have an existing tune on the ECU. The M5 I have has a lot of factory AC Schnitzer bits on. the previous owner seemed to think it had a tune.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well I went for it and had the update done with an autologic diagnostic head. I am happy to say it has solved the issue and the rev application on the iphone now happily connects :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts