BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Suddenly my Mk4 NAV system is way off calibration. It won't follow the streetmap while I drive, instead it just cuts across it, not following it at all some times, other times following but like a quarter mile east of my actual location!

Has anyone experienced this?

Never happened until the Icelink+ went in.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Im going to take a wild stab at this knowing that I may very well be wrong, but the symptoms you mention sounds just like what happens when a GPS unit has a faulty or intermittent antenna connection.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
ditto. My thought as well. Bad antenna signal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, check how many satellites are showing up in the little GPS window at the top right on the nav screen. It's hard to describe the icon, but each satellite that the GPS system reads a signal from shows up as a white "star" around the planet. If your antenna is not working correctly, or the GPS receiver is out, then you may not see the proper images on the icon.

This happens whenever I drive in my parking structure at work. With no signal, the system estimates your location by steering and speed, and your problems sound very similar.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
CB2002 said:
Also, check how many satellites are showing up in the little GPS window at the top right on the nav screen..... This happens whenever I drive in my parking structure at work. With no signal, the system estimates your location by steering and speed, and your problems sound very similar.
Yes but there are other problems that can produce similar symptoms.
First slow processor speed resulting from a conflict of data being analyzed and lack of GPS satellite reception is one source, but having a conflict with map movement and vehicle location as verified from ABS input would be another, would look the same inside the car. The second example can best be observed if you traverse a section of road that has been ‘relocated’ by construction since being digitized into the nav CD. These normally don’t last long as the system normally ‘finds’ itself again but can result in voice prompts that seem in conflict with your perceived position. While most OEM systems have dedicated power sources to reduce the possibility of slow processor speeds, you might have a problem induced by a momentary short. Since this all started after your Icelink+ install it probably is associated with wires that were either directly or indirectly affected by your install. The most likely would be the GPS antenna but there are other possibilities beyond the obvious.
Ken

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
..........and what did I do? hard reset by removing fuse 56 & 58, and it is FIXED. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
ALEV8 said:
..........and what did I do? hard reset by removing fuse 56 & 58, and it is FIXED. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
So you didn't touch any connectors?

Interesting... the bmwnav group has a few posts about bad antennas/connectors creating the 'fixed offset' issue...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubled checked all visible connections. I think my antenna became unplugged at some point and I was distracted lately while driving. Bad I know, but I plugged the antenna back in, and then the reset made everything right again, as the satellites are back and the GPS logo are in the corner again. Whew!:confused3

·
Registered
226 Posts
Alex, I pm you about the wheel you wanted to buy for over a month. Whats the deal do you want it or not. I am going to put it back up for sale if i don't here from you!! Mr Flake. :byebye:

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts