BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noticed a strange issue. More often then not when I have turned the car off the "N" light stays on in the instrument clusterhmmm . I mean it will eventually turn off but it might take about 20 minutes or so (just a guess I have never really timed it). Maybe 15% of the time the light turns off along with everything else.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if I have locked the car or not. Does anyone else have the same issue? Is this normal?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, this is normal although mine says 1 or R. You should park
it in gear.
I heard that you shouldn't park in gear with SMG:confused:

What gives.

Oh, thanks for setting my mind at ease about the light being on.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Park it in gear, the same as with a traditional manual. The car even sounds a "gong" if you park it in neutral.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Park it in gear, the same as with a traditional manual. The car even sounds a "gong" if you park it in neutral.
Yes, I have been gearing the gong. I will start parking it in gear.

Thanks for the great advise.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
994 Posts
What he said.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I heard that you shouldn't park in gear with SMG:confused:

What gives.

Oh, thanks for setting my mind at ease about the light being on.
I used to park in "N", but after new sw update, it will warn you if you park in "N" that the car could roll. But if I park in gear 1 or R, no warning. I guess they want you to park in gear instead of N.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Yup, that's normal....as far as leaving it in "N" I always do, some people have had troubles, or "glitches" while car is parked in gear, at times i have read that the car hasn't come out of gear and it wouldn't start....NOT a normal happening but I rather be safe than sorry......do what you want.

Reactions: drewzMMM

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, that's normal....as far as leaving it in "N" I always do, some people have had troubles, or "glitches" while car is parked in gear, at times i have read that the car hasn't come out of gear and it wouldn't start....NOT a normal happening but I rather be safe than sorry......do what you want.

That same thing happened to me the second day I had the car that's why I have been leaving it in Neutral.

Man you hear more and more of these computer glitches all the time.

Technology is great when it works but when is doesn't it leaves us feeling helpless:sad2:

cherrsagai

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is the clutch engaged when u turn of the car in 1 o R?? If it is wouldn't that in some very small percentage equal to a wear?? I see no problem in leaving the car in N if you have the hand brake on right??? I'm just asking.?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Is the clutch engaged when u turn of the car in 1 o R?? If it is wouldn't that in some very small percentage equal to a wear?? I see no problem in leaving the car in N if you have the hand brake on right??? I'm just asking.?
I don't think u can start the car either 1 or R. Even you left with 1 or R when turning off, you have to press the break, move it to N, then press the start button when starting the engine. I see no problem leaving it in N with handbrake other than a warning sign that the car could roll when u turn off the engine. Just annoying IMO.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The clutch disengages when you turn off the car thus left in gear and there is no wear when the car is not on. I do not see any concern for excess clutch wear no matter how minuscule. While on flat ground leaving in neutral should not be a problem but could become a bad habit for the one time you don't set the brake hard enough or you are on a hill and forget to leave it in gear.

Speaking from bonehead experience with a work truck when I was young. The truck was actually on pretty level ground but rolled away once I walked away. The parking brake does not always hold.

Better safe then sorry IMHO...

I would leave it in gear always...

One thing I do is let off the foot brake to make sure the hand brake is set hard enough to keep the car from resting on the gears then I shut it down. I just don't want the weight of the car resting on the transmission gears if I don't have to, but I have learned the hard way to not trust the parking brake, ever. I would hate for you to come back and wonder where your car went.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The clutch disengages when you turn off the car thus left in gear and there is no wear when the car is not on. I do not see any concern for excess clutch wear no matter how minuscule. While on flat ground leaving in neutral should not be a problem but could become a bad habit for the one time you don't set the brake hard enough or you are on a hill and forget to leave it in gear.

Speaking from bonehead experience with a work truck when I was young. The truck was actually on pretty level ground but rolled away once I walked away. The parking brake does not always hold.

Better safe then sorry IMHO...

I would leave it in gear always...

One thing I do is let off the foot brake to make sure the hand brake is set hard enough to keep the car from resting on the gears then I shut it down. I just don't want the weight of the car resting on the transmission gears if I don't have to, but I have learned the hard way to not trust the parking brake, ever. I would hate for you to come back and wonder where your car went.
Yet another great reason to put the car in gear before leaving it.

From now on I will be parking the M and leaving it in gear.

cherrsagai

Reactions: unfoundhorsepower

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
GREAT, i knew you would find an answer....good luck

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have a noticed a strange issue. More often then not when I have turned the car off the "N" light stays on in the instrument clusterhmmm . I mean it will eventually turn off but it might take about 20 minutes or so (just a guess I have never really timed it). Maybe 15% of the time the light turns off along with everything else.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if I have locked the car or not. Does anyone else have the same issue? Is this normal?
The "N" light will stay on until the car powers down in ~20 minutes. The light in my M stayed on over night a few times, dealership told me the car wasn't powering down properly and fixed it.

Concerning parking in neutral or gear, it's personal preference, keeping in mind that manual trans don't have a parking gear like autos. On level surfaces mine is usually left in neutral, on inclines it's always left in gear.

If there's a chance it will roll, don't rely on the parking brake. Don't use the parking brake if the car has been driven real hard, like at a DE, as the P brake will stick from the heat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One more thing you can do. I read over each post, but didn't see anyone suggest this. Once you turn the car off, push the power button a second time and the N,1 or R light will go out. Make sure your foot is off the brake otherwise it will just start again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't think u can start the car either 1 or R. Even you left with 1 or R when turning off, you have to press the break, move it to N, then press the start button when starting the engine. I see no problem leaving it in N with handbrake other than a warning sign that the car could roll when u turn off the engine. Just annoying IMO.
Spot oncherrsagai

If you dont "NEED" the extra braking the engagement of the clutch gives you (example: in a tottaly flat area) IMO believe its better to: "N" small tug on the hand brake. Gives the beast a little "relaxed time"

cheers:cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
In addition to rolling, this is additional security too, the car will lock the lever in the gear selected for parking (after a few seconds) - this should make it more difficult if someone wants to tow your beast away whilst your backs turned.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts