BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...and they sound awesome. Nice low rumble but not too overbearing at all.

I left everything else stock for now. I may consider removing the resonators, but I am very, very happy with the sound right now.

No drone that I can make out at highway speeds, either.

I wasn't planning on taking pics since they look the same as everyone else's. The 3.5" tips fit in there so nice and tight. It looks really sharp.

Costs:

Magnaflow 14816 $345.26 (172.63 ea.) at Performance Peddler. No tax, no shipping.
Install at Kinney's Muffler $250.00. Yes, that might be high but I like the quality of their work. I'm a long time customer of theirs.

Grand total: $595.26

Not bad.

Thanks to this board for the great information on this. I would have never figured it out otherwise.

OK. I went out and snapped some pics while laying under the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
What about size of inlets? Left it the same, made them bigger, or what? Mandrel bent, crush bent?

DEEETAILS!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about size of inlets? Left it the same, made them bigger, or what? Mandrel bent, crush bent?

DEEETAILS!
Sorry about that. I was just real excited about having them installed.

Inlet size was increased. Mandrel bent. Custom fab'd hangers, all stainless hardware and welds. I will try and get under her and get some after pics once she's cleaned up.

T0RQUE said:
And there are no Magnaflows on that site for the E39 M5? :dunno: What gives?
These are universal mufflers. They will fit just about any car. They are not M5 specific.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Good to know. That looks like a nice job, so now I have a much better idea of what to ask for and how much I should be charged (give or take a few bucks).

And yea, CLIPS! :deal:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Good to know. That looks like a nice job, so now I have a much better idea of what to ask for and how much I should be charged (give or take a few bucks).
Just to give you an idea on labor charge, I had the install done at a highly reputable shop in San Diego for $150 ($75 each side).

Mike, we need some kind of picture man ;)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan to take some pics of the install once I get her cleaned up a little bit. I know how hard you folks can be on a little dirt here and there. :)

I agree that there are places where you can get them installed for less. There are those same places around here, even. I guess it's part comfort factor, though. I like this shop, have used them several times, and like they way they do things.

Hopefully today will be bath day, or I guess I could just snap some pics of the underside and the installation.

Let me see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added pics in the original post up top.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks for the pics Mike! I also went with black piping. Nice touch! And yes, I do agree on the extra "premium" for a dependable shop :cheers:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pics Mike! I also went with black piping. Nice touch! And yes, I do agree on the extra "premium" for a dependable shop :cheers:
Thanks. I took her out for a drive at lunchtime today, and I am still so very impressed with the sound.

She sounds like a proper V8, now.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks. I took her out for a drive at lunchtime today, and I am still so very impressed with the sound.

She sounds like a proper V8, now.
Give it about 1000 miles and the sound will be more "refined," as it would have been property broken in by then :M5launch:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks excellent!

My next mod will be this.

Reactions: Mike S.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice set of pipes there. The Magnaflows will go down as one of the "best bang for your buck" mods for the beast ever. :cheers:
I agree. Of course, now I'm thinking about headers so the mufflers may just be leading me down a dangerous path.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How loud are they? Do you think that they will be obnoxious later down the road? The reason I ask is because I installed some Magnaflow 14815's on my old M Coupe and they were kind of silly loud... as in my wife could be driving the other car in front of me and she could hear the M Coupe behind her. I actually had to wear ear plugs on long road trips because of the drone. That could have been attributed to the design of the M Coupe and the acoustics that can be generated from the Coupe bodystyle.

I would expect the extra sound supression, distance of the exausts from the cabin, body design, etc would lead to a quieter cabin so that's another reason why I ask. Magnaflows can drone like a mad man though.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
How loud are they? Do you think that they will be obnoxious later down the road? The reason I ask is because I installed some Magnaflow 14815's on my old M Coupe and they were kind of silly loud... as in my wife could be driving the other car in front of me and she could hear the M Coupe behind her. I actually had to wear ear plugs on long road trips because of the drone. That could have been attributed to the design of the M Coupe and the acoustics that can be generated from the Coupe bodystyle.

I would expect the extra sound supression, distance of the exausts from the cabin, body design, etc would lead to a quieter cabin so that's another reason why I ask. Magnaflows can drone like a mad man though.
So far, they are as close to perfect as I imagine they could be. Admittedly, I don't have the miles on them nor are they broken-in yet.

I had also heard of the drone issue, but it's not there for me. In fact, the cabin is not much louder than stock at this time. But you can tell something is there and it just sounds better. Meaner. Faster. Whatever you want to call it.

I would think the coupe would be louder also. I think you've hit on many of the points that make them fine for our cars.

Time will tell on mine, of course, but even if they get a bit louder I don't think it will be too bad.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
We need more long-tern impressions of the magnaflow exhausts. Everyone posts right after they got them installed, but almost no one does after the break-in period is completed.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
We need more long-tern impressions of the magnaflow exhausts. Everyone posts right after they got them installed, but almost no one does after the break-in period is completed.
That's because the sound gets more refined after the break-in. In my case, I can only speak positives about the system after having it for 6 months. No one posts their long-term impressions (yet) because nothing has been negative (people tend to post up when they have a negative experience) ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I cant believe the price has risen at this pace. I bought same magnaz last year for $230 shipped. I guess demand drives the price, just shows how many of m cars folks are buying them. Nonetheless enjoy the sound.cherrsagai

1 - 20 of 31 Posts