BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car got keyed in the middle of the afternoon at my sons college, when I was picking him up in the middle of the afternoon. The scratch is 3 inches long,all the way down to the primer. I was PISSED. I used a variety of different polishes, and abrasives. I am going to call my dealer to see what they can do about it. Has this ever happened to anyone? How much doe repair cost?

------------------

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
mine hasn't been keyed, but i have a minor scratch too. I just hope it's on the surface, but it looks kinda deep. Just make sure that they dont do a regular touch up. My dad's lexus has been beaten/scratched a few times and they do an EXCELLENT job with the color matching scheme. granted it takes them a few days, but you'd NEVER be able to tell. Hopefully BMW has something similar. As far as cost goes, a new bumper + repair + paint costs north of 1K, of that, paint was about 300. For a scratch, i'd imagine that it owuld be $50 - 100. Let me know if you find out.

--Dan

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've one key scratch too, deep (1 milimeter)
I've asked what to do but they told me that they have to repaint all the component to be sure to have a good result, otherwise they cannot match the paint color.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SkipV,

I am sorry about your M5.... However, i happened to be browsing the www.bimmer.org website (http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/messages/55021.html) and found that you have posted an entirely different story there.

So which was it? Did it get keyed at your son's collge or at Fairfax BMW dealership??

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Skip did say on the later post that "After thinking the whole incident over, I have concluded that it was Keyed at Fairfax BMW. Not at my sons college". But anyhow, what color is your M5 Skip? If it's a color like Jet black or Alpine white, it shouldn't be too hard to make it look as good as factory. But colors such as Avus Blue or carbon black might be a bit harder...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After rethinking what happened, both my son and I would have seen the scratch, when I was showing him the clear turn signal inches away from the cratch. The scratch really catches your eye, so if it did happen there we would have seen it. Thats why I have concluded that it happened at fairfax. I am prertty sure that somebody looking at cars in the lot, including mine did it. It was only there for 10 min, and I only saw one person there. It was on a friday morning, so there were very few people around. The color is silverstone, so it will be a challenge to match the color. I am going to handle the repair myself and not get my insurance involved, it is high enough already. I will probably have it spot painted, but it doesn't have to be absolutly perfect. I hope this never happens to any of your cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the same experience, but fortunately it didn't get past the clear coat. My car is black so it did show and they were able to buff it out. However, you CAN have it spotted in by a talented repair facility. They can airbrush the color into the scratches, then rub out the overspray. Clear coat is airbrushed on and then rubbed out as well. I have seen this done and the results were nearly undetectable. The alternative is to have the whole body panel repainted which is expensive. They can computer-match the paints without a problem, and since the car is new (or almost), this match should be perfect.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to my dealer about the scratch, amd they said they would take care of it at no charge. Thank God. So I am a happy camper. They are going to spot paint it, and match the color the best they can.
Thanks,
Skip

·
Registered
58 Posts
So far my M5 has not needed any paint repair but my wife's E55 did need to have a door replaced and painted which is why I making a comment.

What I found out was MB had trained specific repair facilities on how to paint and repair their cars (this was news to me). The repair was impeccable. The color is "brilliant silver".

The local MB dealer does not have their own body shop and I used this person based on their recommendation. They told me that a lot of repair shops try to blend paints to match color (the first place I called was going to use Dupont automotive paint)which could change in appearance as the car ages vs. using the specific factory color. I wonder if BMW has a similar process of training repair shops on their products?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do some research on the shop you are/will/might go to. See if they are BMW certified. Usually a certified shops will use factory color....but even if it's a certified shop, mention to them that you want to use factory color paint, and specific that on work papers before you sign anything....

Andy Kuo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey TC,

This is kind of off the topic guys, sorry, but was just wondering if TC had any pics of his wife's E55 that he could post? Cuz my E55 is also Brilliant silver.

Thanx!

Cheers all!

Paul

·
Registered
58 Posts
Paul, I barely know how to turn on a computer let alone post pictures. One of these days I will ge a digital camera.

I do have a number of pictures of both cars -- brilliant silver & titanium silver -- I like silver cars!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
TC: On BMW "authorized" repair facilities. YES, they do exist and they are trained by BMW either at the Spartanburg Performance Center facility or must go to Gernmany for the "how to's". I have one locally here and they sent two guys to Germany to learn how to paint and do body repair. I have seen some mangled BMWs go in to their shop and come out "perfect"... you can't tell (without driving them) that they've been hit. The paint color and layout is impeccable. They use the same waterbase paint and computer match the colors before spraying. They follow up with the same clearcoat process. All body repair is done to factory specs including the MIG welds etc etc. Plus, if yours must go to that facility for work, you can be sure yours is not the first BMW they've repaired. IF you need repairs done, find one of these repair facilities. MB, as mentioned on a previous post, does the same thing. By the way, BMW uses BASF and Dupont as paint suppliers here in the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Although it's very unfortunate for you, who cares that your M5 was keyed? These and other messages such as, "it's finally here" or " my production date is June 21" or " just ordered my M5" are ridiculous. WHO CARES? What a waste of space and everyone's time to read these types of messages!

·
Registered
134 Posts
And your post was important to us for what reason?

The point of a message board is for people with the same interests to get together and share their thoughts. It's natural that people will share their ups (getting a LeMans Blue M5 in August) and their downs (some poor guy getting his M5 keyed).

If this is something you can't get over, you'll probably be happier reading magazines and website articles instead of participating in a public forum.

Originally posted by jazz:
Although it's very unfortunate for you, who cares that your M5 was keyed? These and other messages such as, "it's finally here" or " my production date is June 21" or " just ordered my M5" are ridiculous. WHO CARES? What a waste of space and everyone's time to read these types of messages!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To those who it may concern. This is a message board about BMW M5 cars. It serves many purposes. One purpose is, you can ask questions on this message board. I asked a question about my M5, and recieved many helpful solutions and information that solved my problem. I clearly don't see how this is a waste of space. I asked a question, and it was answered. Stop being an ***! If anyone would like to discuss this further, please feel free to email me.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Skip:
So what's the outcome of the incident? How will it progress from here?

and to the ****ing idiot (pardon the explicatives): I CARE! I'd come here to find out what to do if mine got keyed, as Skip did. Smart man, he is. Jealousy is a very unbecoming characteristic.

--Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dan & Skip: I totally agree with you. I have received a lot of valuable info reading what was other wise "idle chat". (Pun intended) This is a great site for those of us who DO drive the M cars and want to find out more about them. I do not know who this guy is, but he's one reason we have more horses asses than horses. Keep asking the questions, M5 owners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just for the record, I have been driving an M5 since November as well as an X5. Also, to bobafett, no, I am not jealous that skip's car was keyed. But to skip, no disrespect intended, I'm sorry for you that you got your car keyed, but I think the silly banter on this site makes it cumbersome trying to get the good information it offers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jazz,

No disrespect intended here, but as someone who sounds fairly literate, you should be able to read the headers and skip the threads with titles such as "My M5 Was Keyed" if this topic doesn't interest you.

Then you really don't have to read what you consider "silly banter" and the rest of us find informative and/or entertaining.

-TheTooth

Originally posted by jazz:
Just for the record, I have been driving an M5 since November as well as an X5. Also, to bobafett, no, I am not jealous that skip's car was keyed. But to skip, no disrespect intended, I'm sorry for you that you got your car keyed, but I think the silly banter on this site makes it cumbersome trying to get the good information it offers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts