BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

My M5 Style 65 Wheel Refurbish

17K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  V8Flexn 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to update everyone on my Wheels that I recently sent out to have refurbished. There are a lot of threads out there on the topic. One very good one is attached below. As it turns out Justin13 is a buddy of mine and the person that encouraged me to purchase the car that i have and encouraged me to get my wheels refinished.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...e-shadow-paint-process-wheel-refinishing.html

Ultimately I chose to use Prince Wheel Services based on a lot of positive feedback on this and other forums.

The wheels on my car had been refinished previously by dipping the wheels - as a result of wear this top coating was cracking and peeling off the wheels. There were many spots where it had completely separated but not yet cracked from the wheel surface.

I shipped the wheels separately using boxes purchased at Staples. 20in x 20in x 36?in and cut them down to fit each individual wheel. UPS shipping from Madison NJ to Prince Wheel Service in NC was under $100 each way. Boxes and shipping materials cost me about $25. The wheels were returned in the same boxes i used to send them.

Upon receiving the wheels Prince Wheel Services kept in touch throughout the refurbishing process. As it turns out two of my wheels had slight bends and these were straightened prior to the refinishing process at a very reasonable cost. I am attaching before, during and after photos. I am very happy with the results and would recommend Prince Wheel Service to anyone interested in having their beat up wheels made to look like new again.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I am local to Prince Wheel and had them refinish mine a few years back. They do a very nice job.

Reactions: PrinceRecon
#6 ·
What color is that? I mean the car.

#8 ·
Damn them wheels were F**ked up.. swear when i saw them at first i said o my god out loud lol. But damn they look good as Sh*t now

#13 ·
It's been a while since the prices were listed in a thread so here is an update for anyone interested...

Complete strip, repair of any minor cosmetic damage, wash and chemical pretreatment, and refinish in 3-stage Chrome Shadow - $175 ($155 for M5board members) each wheel
Add on for straightening any bent wheels - $50 each wheel that is bent and customer chooses to repair (Occasionally we will work a special deal for multiple bent wheels if they aren't bad)

Shipping costs are separate and will be based on your location and shipped via UPS ground unless you choose to make other arrangements. If the boxes you ship the wheels in are in good condition, we will add our personal touches to the packing and reuse the original boxes. If not, we will build new boxes for the ride home.

Hope that helps!!

#14 · (Edited)
I have no affiliation with Prince wheel.

They did my wheels over a year ago and my wheels were pretty bad too.

I was hesitant to ship my wheels to someone out of state but the process was quick (I think less than seven days maybe five business days turn around door to door) and the wheels look fantastic. I have had people who know how complex the paint job is tell me that the work was well done.

As for shipping as I recall it was less than 100.00 from zip code 11566 in New York for all four wheels via UPS. I packed my own wheels in boxes bought at home depot and walked into the nearest UPS store. I was not too concerned about packing since the wheels were already bad. In my opinion, shipping cost was not bad considering the cost of new wheels and the job that was done.

Mike

forgot to mention that the wheels were shipped without tires.

#17 ·
I had my done four years back, my wife drove it a for two years winter included. I had a little of the clear coat serperate from the inner wheels, I was removing the wheels from the car and the tire sliped from my hands and hit the rotors, which chipped the final finish coat on the insides. I sent an e-mail to prince recon about the issue, I never followed thru because the finish never discolored or continued to keep chipping.
My car is just about done being re-painted and refurbished, rubbers, windows, moldings and so on, not that it was that bad, but I'm a little anal when it comes to this car.
I will be sending my wheels back to prince re-con to get a fresh wheel job, it's worth every penny spent and the job is second to none. That about says it all, my opinion of course.:cheers:
P.S. Won't be seeing the rain ever again LOL

#16 ·
Probably good place to let others that have experience jump in. But from what i was told this finish is as good or better than the original. The clear coat layer is much thicker than the OEM. My understanding that the biggest no no is to use harsh cleaners when cleaning the wheels - Sponge and soapy water is all you really need.

#22 ·
checking in

Just wanted to check in here - The wheels look as good as the day I got them shipped back to me. Granted I have not driven within 6 inches of any curb.... but i have washed the car about 50 times and they clean up great with a sponge and warm soapy water.
I am a very pleased customer.

#24 ·
Just wanted to check in here - The wheels look as good as the day I got them shipped back to me. Granted I have not driven within 6 inches of any curb.... but i have washed the car about 50 times and they clean up great with a sponge and warm soapy water.
I am a very pleased customer.
Thanks for the follow-up and glad to hear they are holding up well. My Style 65s are on their way to Justin @ Prince Wheel as we speak. Can't wait to see the finished product!

#23 ·
i got a place in nj that is doing mine. will post results.

#25 ·
This is the thread I needed to see! I will be checking on pricing to ship from Washington state, if it's insanely high compared to what was mentioned in this post, I may have to find a different shop. If not, Prince Wheels is definitely doing mine!

Reactions: StephenVA
#28 ·
Mine are nice and straight. I have to do a photoshoot of the business so I will post the process, some is limited and public not allowed on the trade secrets and process of fixing the wheels. They have the latest machines and do powder coating as well.

Paul :)

#30 ·
I just got my wheels redone by Prince two weeks ago. I went with a darker-than-OEM shadow chrome and they came out AMAZING. I'd highly recommend them! However, their shop is temporarily closed because of COVID-19. I'm not sure when they plan to reopen, but it'll happen eventually.

Also, there's currently a group buy discount--just search for "Style 65" or "Prince" on the E39 M5 Owner's Group page on Facebook and you can find the details there. Also, in case it matters, Prince is able to receive/ship wheels if needed.

#33 · (Edited)
Those turned out very well. I think you have a good point about the contrasting colors. Mine is carbon black so I'll likely opt for the OEM! However, yours look only subtly darker than OEM from the photos although I don't know how they changer in the light. I think your shade would still work well on mine too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.