BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I´ve had my new 2000 M5 since March and I´m hoping some of you guys can help me out with my problem.
When I start my M5 in the morning the engine sounds GREAT - absolute NO PROBLEM - but when it gets nice and warm and stands still with the standard 700rpm it sounds like an "old-timer"...klak-klak-klak-klak.. If I push the rpm to 1000-1200 rpm the "nightmare" goes away. I´ve contacted my dealer, and he says that all of the new M5´s sound like this, and that it´s because of the VANOS-system...

What´s the real story here,- please help me out.

PS! I havent scanned this page for questions like mine - sorry.

Nille.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Sören,

That is a known problem with the VANOS that can be fixed. BMW has got a repair kit, but according to other posts on the board, BMW are also going to mount an electric pump to make sure that the VANOS gets oil. I´m not sure about when that part will hit the market though. The repair kit that exists today works for about 4-5 months, and then the problem returns.

Regards
Peter Gutniak

·
Registered
10 Posts
Peter:

Is the current fix suppoessed to stop noise at start up or hot idle @ 700 rpm ?

Does the motor run funny when the noise is occuring ?

How long does the motor have to be idling for the noise to start happening ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
1. Both.
2. Not that I´m aware of.
3. Well, at startup you get a 3-7 sec loud rattling noise (It sounds like you´ve forgotten to add oil.) Then you have a fairly quiet engine until it gets hot (normal working temperature). After that, during idle you hear a distinctive noise making the car sound very much like an old diesel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi all,

While I know the noise you all are experiencing sounds bad, do you have any idea of whether or not the cause of the noise is damaging the engine? It scares me to hear that the in-process solution is a better oil pump.

- TheTooth

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am getting worried. I am due to get my M5 (Titanium) in December, but I keep hearing about all these problems. I don't want a $75,000 deisel! From those having noise problems, what is your advice? Would you buy the car if you knew you'd have these noise problems?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just got my M5 a couple of days ago. Engine noise is just what it should be, no desiel like stuff.
Maybe it takes time to get to it, I do not know, but my M5 is just pleasure to listen to when standing still or driving.

AlbertM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts