BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a short history on my car. I bought it last October of 2013 and has treated me well since then. Problem was that the valve seals were done. Every time I would stop at a light, a huge cloud of blue smoke rushed from behind me. This was really annoying. The engine ran extremely well and had 132k at the time.

Now for the rebuild. Once I finished my spring semester at FAU, me and my dad pulled the engine. Tore the engine apart and ordered everything we needed. The pistons and head chamber had incredible oil/carbon build up, never seen anything this bad. The top of the pistons were scrubbed off to get rid off all the build up. I had the heads all cleaned up, valve job and new seals of course. I used the same springs and lifters cause everything was fine. All the chains and guides are new, which were in good shape to begin with. Every seal and gasket has been replaced, oil pan, timing covers, rear main etc. I didn't mention it had numerous oil leaks. Here is the part of the engine I did not touch, the bottom end. First off, there was nothing wrong with it even with how many miles it had. Bearings were in good shape and rings were also good. I tested them by soaking the cylinders with ATF over night. Either way, I decided to leave it as nothing was wrong.

Assembly day came and took us about 2-3 days, working about 5-6 hours a day. We took many pictures to know were everything went, but honestly we did not look once at the pictures as the engine went back together fairly easy. The most stressful part for me was the timing. Setting the chains on the right teeth and everything. I took my time, triple checked everything and used sources from this board. Rotated the engine a few times to make sure everything fell into place and it did. From there it was pretty straight forward. I did not get a video of the start up as I was way too nervous. Lets just say the engine did not even get to make one full rotation and fired right up. How? I don't know, cause i'm used to old carbureted engines that take a while to start. I know efi and stuff but still. I couldn't believe that everything worked. Since then I have put close to 1k miles on it and have not had one single problem. No knocks or oil leaks. Here are some pictures of the project and if you have any questions I will gladly answer them.

I want to give a special thanks to my dad for helping out and providing, and no he did not pay for everything it was split half and half. Also want to thank Rennie at Redline Bmw in Pompano Beach for parts and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Well done mate !!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Strong work!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Nice!
Do the red horns play the Dukes of Hazard theme or some German opera finale?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good for you!

What kind of oil consumption did you have before the rebuild?
Do you know what the build date was for the motor?

I ask because my 10/99 build engine burns too much oil, but I don't get the big cloud on deceleration like you were, so I don't think my problem is just valve guides/seals.

Enjoy the fresh Beast!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Value seals, do you mean valve guide?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I meant valve guides and the valve stem seals. If I had the heads off and apart i would freshen both.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Im @170k and i might consider a similar job soon.
How much were the parts ?
It will be great if you can share a full list for reference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Congratulations. That's a cool dad you have there.

Sounds like someone rebuilt the heads for you. Did they report back on the condition of the guides, valve stems and seals? In other words, was the cause of the high oil consumption obvious?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Very nice job mate.

I do have one question, re: rod bearings.

If i'm reading this right, you opted not to change them out as you thought they were OK?

I just wonder as the engine was out on a stand it seemed only a small amount of work to change these and i'm slightly puzzled as to why they were left even if you suspected them of not being excessively worn.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good for you!

What kind of oil consumption did you have before the rebuild?
Do you know what the build date was for the motor?

I ask because my 10/99 build engine burns too much oil, but I don't get the big cloud on deceleration like you were, so I don't think my problem is just valve guides/seals.

Enjoy the fresh Beast!
I remember it would go through a quart of oil pretty quickly, under 1k miles. I know my car was built on 7/99 so they don't have the revised rings. Even now my car still burned oil after 1k miles of driving after the rebuild, maybe half quart. But if your car does not smoke, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im @170k and i might consider a similar job soon.
How much were the parts ?
It will be great if you can share a full list for reference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Parts totaled out to be ~$1,800. That's everything for the engine and the heads machined which was around $350. I can send you a list of all the parts I got, most were from ECS and a few from Pelican.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice job mate.

I do have one question, re: rod bearings.

If i'm reading this right, you opted not to change them out as you thought they were OK?

I just wonder as the engine was out on a stand it seemed only a small amount of work to change these and i'm slightly puzzled as to why they were left even if you suspected them of not being excessively worn.
Thanks! I know, I know. I'll admit I was a little skeptical about touching the bottom end at that time, worried something would not go back correct and have a problem later on. I just figured i'd leave it alone if it's fine. But I look back and I know I should have done it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for the oil usage info.
Mine burns a liter every 250 miles and I do get a good puff of oil smoke on acceleration after I've been idling a while or after a long downhill run off the throttle, so I'm thinking of an engine swap.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts