BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving to this girl's place and there's a long stretch of road where passing is allowed. I'm stuck behind this accord doing 30MPH in a 40MPH road. I calmly wait until I'm in the acceptable passing area, down-shift to 2nd, and nail it to get past them.

I pull over to the left a little too hard and as my front tires grip the road, my rear tires just let go!! The rear end comes flying out to the left almost off the road (and into a 6 foot ditch). I try to get control and the rear end suddenly comes flying right, almost hitting the person I'm trying to pass. It swerves a little more before I finally get it under control and pass the person with my adrenaline off the charts and terrified.

I've done the passing move countless times in the M5 and have never seen it act so brashly! It was above freezing, hadn't been raining, and my tires were even warm! They are Michelin PS2s with only 7,000 miles on them or so!

I'm pretty embarrassed and frightened that my M5 would lose control of its rear end so easily. It's never done anything like that to me before and now I'm scared of it. It was going uphill which I think could make the tires spin easier, but still, it wasn't a difficult or odd maneuver in any way.

Guess I need to start driving with DSC on :( Comes on too often for tiny little things.....

Ever had your M5 do this?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Summer tires and temperature below 6°C (43F) then this can easily happen.

Reactions: MarkQC

·
Registered
776 Posts
So I was driving to this girl's place and there's a long stretch of road where passing is allowed. I'm stuck behind this accord doing 30MPH in a 40MPH road. I calmly wait until I'm in the acceptable passing area, down-shift to 2nd, and nail it to get past them.

I pull over to the left a little too hard and as my front tires grip the road, my rear tires just let go!! The rear end comes flying out to the left almost off the road (and into a 6 foot ditch). I try to get control and the rear end suddenly comes flying right, almost hitting the person I'm trying to pass. It swerves a little more before I finally get it under control and pass the person with my adrenaline off the charts and terrified.

I've done the passing move countless times in the M5 and have never seen it act so brashly! It was above freezing, hadn't been raining, and my tires were even warm! They are Michelin PS2s with only 7,000 miles on them or so!

I'm pretty embarrassed and frightened that my M5 would lose control of its rear end so easily. It's never done anything like that to me before and now I'm scared of it. It was going uphill which I think could make the tires spin easier, but still, it wasn't a difficult or odd maneuver in any way.

Guess I need to start driving with DSC on :( Comes on too often for tiny little things.....

Ever had your M5 do this?
Sorry to say this, but it is just stupid to drive all the time without dsc, a little moisture or dirt or oil on the road and you are history. The problem is that you cannot anticipate every situation.

Drive safely!

·
Registered
936 Posts
In fairness, driving with DSC off and nailing it in second, what did you expect?

Glad you got out the other side with no damage, could have gone a lot more wrong!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I never turn my dsc off because you just don't know. I sometimes play a little game with the car, I push it as far as i can trying not to let the dsc kick in, I think I am winning at the moment too. Sometimes it just nice to be a bit stupid, when it is safe to do so and let the computer sort it out for you.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Exactly. At speeds over 50-100 km/h it is just unneccessary to drive without DSC: Even WITH DSC Ive found myself at a 45 degree angle at 100 mph and DSC saving the situation. You never know those wet patches or gravel patches.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Something similar happened to me during my first few days of owning the car. It was raining and I was merging onto the (empty) highway. I was in 5th and I gunned it, and the back started to slide. I'm no pro driver by any means but I managed to get wrestle it under control.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had a 745i turbo many years ago that got away from me...I was turning left onto a four lane (wet road) and got on the gas hard....turbo kicked in at the end of the turn and I found myself facing backwards. The m5 has loads of torque and can easily get out of sorts...get it to a track day or autocross to learn the limits of the car. What you did was driver error, dont blame the car, it did what you told it to do.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It really makes your heart go, doesn't it!..I'm sure everyone has a related experience..We sometimes get a little complacent and forget what power/torque is there for us to use..Clean diapers all round, and pay attention!!!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I have hung the rear out at 20 to 30 degrees a few times with DSC OFF. BUT, I was aware that it would happen when I mashed the loud pedal ... fully aware and expecting it. (I would never do it in the rain, snow, or with someone in a car next to me.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Public roads are not as well conditioned as a track

I was a slow convert to "DSC off" on the track, but would never go back now. That said, the roads on a track are generally predictable and in excellent condition. Thus, DSC off works well because it's communicating what the car is doing consistent with what you expect it to do.

Same doesn't apply on cold tires and public roads with gravel, potholes, uneven pavement, etc.

As others have said, sounds like the rear got unsettled (could have caught some gravel, salt, a little bump, or just fact that tires aren't nearly as warm in straight-line driving as on a track), and at that point all the torque in second and power to the rear just continued to kick the car around.

I'm sure there are many on board who drive fine every day with DSC off. But at least do the analysis and decide what the benefits and tradeoffs are. On a public road at this time of year and in less than perfect condition, you're not going to get anywhere near the predictability of the track. So the DSC off calculus may well be different.

Reactions: Frye

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have to agree with the post on DSC. I know everyone wants to be a maverick and turn it off. But lets face it this car is powerful and most times leaving it on is a better option. Just turn on the sport !!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Consider this a wake up call eh? Good learning experience as the outcome was with minimal to really, no damage accept maybe some pride.

IMO, it's not worth it to drive with DSC off, when its below 40, wet or heaven forbid, frozen with her summer shoes on.

I am not one to tempt fate, the only time I turn DSC off is when I wanna accelerate like a M5 outta hell :applause: and not get the embarrassing yet classic- accleration stopping, throwing you and your passengers forward, DSC Power robbing action.

Glad to hear things didn't turn for the worst.

·
Registered
723 Posts
snip... down-shift to 2nd, and nail it to get past them.

I pull over to the left a little too hard and as my front tires grip the road, my rear tires just let go!! The rear end comes flying out to the left almost off the road (and into a 6 foot ditch). I try to get control and the rear end suddenly comes flying right, almost hitting the person I'm trying to pass.
Some observations:
- when you press the "go" pedal, weight transfers from the front wheels towards the rear wheels.
- unloading the front wheels give them less grip.
- as you pull into the passing lane, you realize that the front wheels don't have enough traction. (severe understeer)
- you instinctively and abrubtly let go of the go pedal which starts to load the front wheels, and unload the rear wheels.
- the front wheels regain grip due to the additional loading
- the rear tires lose grip and the now the rear of the car comes out (oversteer)
- you instinctively countersteer which reduces the lateral force on the rear tires, and it snaps back the other way as it starts to regain grip.
- you repeat a couple of times before the car comes back under control
- you wonder what the hell just happened

Some suggestions:
- invest in some tracktime with a good instructor to learn how to avoid the above.
- leave DSC on

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sorry Gsibble, not trying to be an *******, but THIS should have been your wake-up call. (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691099) It's sad that even after something like what happened last February you'd still say something like "The M5 Lost Control!"...

As the eloquently named Dr. Pooface said above, the M5 didn't lose control; You did.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm used to driving torquey rear drive cars that don't come with traction control. And lord knows I love letting the rear end hang out when I drive.

But even I drive regularly with the DSC on. The M5 is a very powerful car, but you shouldn't need to wrangle it like a bull just to get home safely.

Leave the DSC OFF stuff for the track. You don't want to damage your car, or worse; damage yourself or someone around you.

Reactions: Respect the M
1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.