bolt for adjusting (is now opening at .4 bar). Will get
that bolt tomorrow.

So hopefully I´ll run at .6 bar tomorrow "Alpha-N" - will
be fun to see what the power will be like :M5launch:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Huh what?

How do you do this, and how can the engine even be expected to run properly without the MAF data?

Curious minds want to know!!!

-crds

·
Registered
345 Posts
Awesome!
What company did you use for software?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Alpha N is his new EM system.

Gets readings from either wideband o2 sensor or TPS.

In my Audi S4 VEMS standalone I got it off the wideband o2.

Mafless is the only way to fly.

Blue Thunder, keep us posted. Cheers.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Mafless is the only way to fly.

Blue Thunder, keep us posted. Cheers.
Here here! :applause:

I'm planning on dumping my MAFs as well. I'm eager to hear your impressions.

(I was about to bug you for an update...:hihi:)

Dave

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Please update us.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sounds great! Looking forward to an update on it.

cheers

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you do this, and how can the engine even be expected to run properly without the MAF data?

Curious minds want to know!!!

-crds
Here is a description from the CA SC thread -
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...8-preview-new-supercharger-system-e39-m5.html
- that describes the S62 Alpha-N solution:

"That is correct, we do not use the MAF on this conversion,nor a MAP sensor, not required. For the management we use a "sophisticated" form of Alpha N. True Alpha N systems only plot throttle position against revs, which is fine for a single day use race application for example where climate conditions are expected to be pretty consistent.

In our case the management system also plots against air inlet temp and coulple other factors ( that we do not want to divulge), for better, smoother results.

The main benefits are :

- elimination of MAF failures and / or spurious air mass/ temp readings, due to fact they are sensing more air flow than originally designed for.
-more "accurate" mapping and air temp sensoring; as many of you will know,the air temp sensor built into the OEM MAF is not in an ideal position as it can pick up false readings from rising heat from radiator etc .
- a more responsive and fluid power delivery."

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,246 Posts
I want more info, where to get it and how it works and fuel/hr readings are you getting @ full throttle and what are your impressions?

Does this mess w/ the Dinan software?

I want this if this does not mess w/ anything. I really want this. I hate the MAF's. Every pair I ever bought had problems in 20,000 or less miles.. but i also go to desert. Either way they suck in my opinion, one of the faulty designs of this car.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want more info, where to get it and how it works and fuel/hr readings are you getting @ full throttle and what are your impressions?
The software work is being done by the infamous Mr. X who is
also the man behind the CA kit. He also helped David with getting
his 540 SC back on track.

Since I have bigger injectors the fuel readings by the dme are not
correct. We will hopefully finish mapping today, then I will
have some impressions.

I guess your current Dinan software could be modified, check with
Dinan.

I want this if this does not mess w/ anything. I really want this. I hate the MAF's. Every pair I ever bought had problems in 20,000 or less miles.. but i also go to desert. Either way they suck in my opinion, one of the faulty designs of this car.
True, they are annoying.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI - ALL

Remember - Thordur is running a custom build with twin superchargers...
Yes correct - it´s the first version of CA´s kit, two Rotrex superchargers.

·
Registered
650 Posts
M3 E46 CSL (Euro Version) is MAF-less from the factory ... and ... it's one of the greatest M Cars! 360 HP from a 3.2L engine!

Blue Thunder, keep us posted.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
MAF Delete

Dinan's M5 S3 doesn't use MAF's and of course works with his software. The Dinan system doesn't just eliminate the MAFs, it also adds a sophisticated compressor control valve (CCV) assembly to prevent compressor surge problems associated with supercharged engines with large volume tracts, i.e., intercooled, one throttle per cylinder big plenum configurations. It shuts off the intake passage to the supercharger during idle and restricts it during light throttle, part throttle driving. The servomotor that opens the throttles operates this valve.

Speaking from nearly 25,000 S3 driving miles, it operates smoothly and efficiently in every day use as my daily driver in NYC traffic. And it is scary fast when you drop the hammer... once upon a time my 20-something daughter actually shrieked when when I surprised her with a 2nd gear WOT.:hihi:

I don't know if anyone is manufacturing a non-MAF system for NA E39 M5's, but as an engineer it looks feasible and something that I would expect would enjoy a fairly large target market.

--Ray

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Mr. 'X' has been building quite the stellar cred... :M5thumbs:

Dave

1 - 20 of 87 Posts