BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm not sure I understand this. The M5s I have seen that have PDC have a button in the center console area (next to the DSC button) that says 'PDC' on it. My M5 (2000) doesn't have that PDC button, but it does have PDC in the rear bumper and it clearly works because when I backup it beeps at me the closer I get to something.

So, am I supposed to have a button for it as well? Just a little confused about this.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Your button console was probably replaced with one that was optioned with no PDC. This happened to me when I tried to flip my mirrors up. Apparently the PO had replaced the window switches with one from the standard E39's and it doesn't have the button for the mirror folding.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a MY2000 and do not have a PDC button either. I don't think we were fortunate to have the option to turn it off for our builds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: PumpinIron

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, perhaps that's it! Maybe it's because my car is a 2000 and not a 2001+.

Has anyone retrofitted the button panel from the 2001+ cars to a 2000? I'm curious to know if just by plugging in the panel with the PDC button if that would allow me to turn it on and off, or if there is more to it than that?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Delete

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the button wasn't on the 2000 models then. Wonder if I can plug it in and go or if there's more to it...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
No PDC button on cars with no front PDC, hence MY2000 cars not having one.

You can't simply swap over a panel as there is no wiring for the PDC button and the standard MY2000 module has no facility to be simply switched ON like the newer ones with fronts.

The only reasoning behind the button is that obviously the front PDC sensors work regardless if the car is in forward or reverse gear. If you're driving and approach traffic at a junction/lights etc you'd constantly be having to disable the PDC or put up with an annoying beep everytime you got near a car. Hence the reason you have to engage PDC on front PDC equipped cars.

I don't know why even if you had the facility to why you would want to be able to disengage the rears anyways. Seems like a sure fire way to forget you have done and reverse into something

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does the rear PDC remain active when you change the gear from reverse to neutral? I have 2001 facelift and rear/front PDCs stay active even in neutral (after reverse) unless I switch them off from the panel under the HVAC control.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Once you've come out of reverse, PDC stays active until a particular speed is reached (can't remember - ~5 mph?) unless you hit the disable which turns it off until the next time you take reverse when it automatically turns on again. Having reversed out of the garage and turned around I have a long driveway with a tight turn by a wall, and it howls at me every time unless I remember to kill it - this on a 2003 with factory F/R PDC.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No PDC button on cars with no front PDC, hence MY2000 cars not having one.

You can't simply swap over a panel as there is no wiring for the PDC button and the standard MY2000 module has no facility to be simply switched ON like the newer ones with fronts.

The only reasoning behind the button is that obviously the front PDC sensors work regardless if the car is in forward or reverse gear. If you're driving and approach traffic at a junction/lights etc you'd constantly be having to disable the PDC or put up with an annoying beep everytime you got near a car. Hence the reason you have to engage PDC on front PDC equipped cars.

I don't know why even if you had the facility to why you would want to be able to disengage the rears anyways. Seems like a sure fire way to forget you have done and reverse into something
Okay, this makes perfect sense now!

So it's the cars with FRONT PDC that have the button. Makes perfect sense because you'd need a way to turn it on / off or else it would be annoying the crap out of you even when you came up behind someone at a stop light. I get it now!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Okay, this makes perfect sense now!

So it's the cars with FRONT PDC that have the button. Makes perfect sense because you'd need a way to turn it on / off or else it would be annoying the crap out of you even when you came up behind someone at a stop light. I get it now!
No - the PDC, both F&R, is only activated when reverse is selected so the front isn't going to operate just because you come up behind another car at a stop light - unless you use the switch to manually enable the PDC as you stop.
Checking the handbook, I was well out with my guess of 5 mph for it to shut off - it automatically shuts off after a distance of 50 metres has been travelled, or a speed of 20 mph - the switch allows you to shut it off sooner until the next time reverse is selected. I'm guessing that if you only have rear PDC, it deactivates as soon as you come out of reverse? (I can't test that!)

I can't believe I've just been out to the garage three times to play with the PDC and check this lot out (apart from the moving 50 metres or reaching 20 mph bit - my garage isn't quite big enough to check that!)

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm guessing that if you only have rear PDC, it deactivates as soon as you come out of reverse? (I can't test that!)
You are correct! Once you come out of reverse the PDC no longer works. It must have some sort of sensor that knows when you're in the reverse gear and therefore activates / deactivates the PDC accordingly.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Makes sense Cumbrian. My bad and sorry for the misinformation, I was under the impression it had to be engaged.

On rear only equipped PDC cars though you're right in saying its automatically engaged/disengaged with the selection of reverse gear, and still, hence no button

·
Registered
318 Posts
For quite a while we had two similar DD's, one with F&R PDC the other with R only which could be a bit of problem if you were relying on the front sensors to warn you how close you were getting to a low wall, only to realise that the front sensors were on the other car...... Current DD has a rather more crude PDC setup which relies on the bumper and bodywork transmitting noise and vibration to the driver. Haven't tested that one. Yet.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Answered already - this was a facelift change.

Easy to dismiss PDC, but I grew to appreciate it on my 01 530 sport. I remember I had to drill special holes when I went with M-tech bumper, since the sensor placement on M cars is different, only one is in bumper strips. But worked fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts