BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my car upgraded to software 19 yesterday. The immediate effect I noticed is that the throttle blip on downshift has softened by 50%! The car used to "bark" noticeably on downship, now its barely audible!

Another consequence is that the revs don't shoot high enough during the blip...
When the next gear engages the revs from the blip have allready had time to fall about 500-600 revs UNDER the optimum rev match for the lower gear.

A BMW technician drove it with me this mroning, and noticed the effect. But he needs to contact BMW Sweden technical to report the issue, and understand what exactly Software 19 updates contained.

If this is a planned effect, BMW, please take it back!

My car used to bark like a Rotweiler, now it chirps like a Chiuaua :grrrr:

Booooo!

Jonas

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: My M5 has lost iits bark! Software 19.0 issue!

Nisse said:
...My car used to bark like a Rotweiler, now it chirps like a Chiuaua :grrrr:
poor u. hope they sort it out.
bi chiuaua!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Anyone else notice this? I'm due for a software upgrade next week and I don't want the car to be even quieter - come on BMW we want an M car not some sofa on wheels (if I wanted that I'd buy a Mercedes).

·
Registered
943 Posts
This is really bad!

Did they have any idea what the problem was?

I did some kind of upgrade ( don´t know what exactly it was? ) when I removed the speed limiter at BMW M, but the car has behaved the same as before.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
cidair said:
This is really bad!

Did they have any idea what the problem was?

I did some kind of upgrade ( don´t know what exactly it was? ) when I removed the speed limiter at BMW M, but the car has behaved the same as before.
Nope, he did not know. He had to contact BMW tomorrow to find out. He said this may be a planned "upgrade". :grrrr:

Jonas

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sounds very unlikely that it should be a planned upgrade.
Do they want to " save " some parts in the transmission or what? Maybe, but then the M5 will loose it´s soul for sure!

I think and hope it´s a software bug.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same issue since my software update, have to test more, will post my results later

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe this is a temporary software update so that they can try to test and fix the tranny (smg) problems and then send out another update to correct it. They just lowered "blip" and power for now, so that all these BMW shut downs and downshifting issues stop happening...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hope it is just a bad software batch. I hope theY are not detuning the car because of SMG ISSUES ......good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm due to get 19.0 tomorrow specifically becuase I've had quite a few tran/SMG errors, in fact my gut feel is something is not quite right with the control software for the SMG.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tested yesterday with my r19 car. when you are not on throttle you won't get the blip. If you press the throttle just before downshifting it will blip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ganzbaf said:
I tested yesterday with my r19 car. when you are not on throttle you won't get the blip. If you press the throttle just before downshifting it will blip.
But that's the whole point. When you are on the brakes, it will blip without you touching the throttle, so you don't to heel and toe yourself.

Something is not right.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ganzbaf said:
But when you do get the blip, it seems lower than it would have been before the software.

Jonas

·
Registered
33 Posts
could be, i will test this with my collegues car. he has still release 18.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nisse said:
But when you do get the blip, it seems lower than it would have been before the software.

Jonas
Please find out more information about the throttle blip issue. I am going to request not upgrading the software when I go for service.

My M5 blips very normal right now. I don't want to mess with the software upgrade if it detuned the blipping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have heard that from October production onwards, the SMG software for the M5 and M6 is going to be smoother. This happened because of problems that were reported on early production cars. The way that the old software changed the gears (especially in the S6 mode) was simply too hard for the gearbox hardware. In the new version, the shifts are smoother (and probably slower) and cause much less strain on the gearbox internals.
Again this information is not official. It is what i've heard from several sources.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts