BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

I Finally get some time to write a post about bringing my M5 from Northern Ireland all the way to Australia. Here's a little breakdown of the process for any one interested-

1. Apply for personal import approval and have it granted

2. Find a shipping agent, I went with Autoshippers UK who are agents for Hoegh Autoliners (the worlds largest RORO vehicle shipping company shipping cars all over the world for many manufacturers) The price for shipping came in at just under 1300 GBP or $1900 AUD including insurance

3. Find a clearing and customs agent. These are the people who handle your car whilst in port through unloading, quarantine, customs etc. I went with Seaway Customs based in Brisbane as they too are agents of Hoegh Autoliners.

4. Find a shop to do vehicle compliance and roadworthy and registration. I went with New Prestige World workshop in Brisbane. I wouldn't recommend them as they didn't provide good service, were slow over priced and unpleasant.

5. Enjoy your M5 :wroom:

Costs in AUD were as follows-

Import application $65
Shipping and insurance $ 1900
Clearing, Quarantine, customs duty and tax $2415
Compliance, roadworthy and 6 months registration $2000

My Main reasons for taking the car with me when re-locating were: I love my car; I think its better to have a car like this you know rather than just purchase a new one obviously because you know the maintenance it has received for at least part of its history and you know where its at, what needs done and what doesn't. And also the Higher resale values in Australia mean I will recover the costs of import if I were to sell which I have no intention of.

For anyone thinking of doing anything like this probably to any country a big money-saver is having a favorable customs valuer put as low a value on your car as possible thus reducing your tax burden. Seaway Customs helped me in a big way here and all I had to do was hint at them on the phone. After all the value should just reflect what it is when it arrives, just a car which may or may not be running well and of undetermined history.

Id like to thank member Manualshifter on here who I met randomly one morning up a mountain. He was very helpful with helping me track down what was required for the car to meet Australian Design Rules namely only 3x child restraint anchor points which were already built in, just hidden. and has been very helpful sharing knowledge on where to get parts from etc.

We managed to meet up for a flying visit once my car was on the road and below are some pics! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome!

Do u mind elaborating on the hidden child restraint anchor points? Will do a search here as well...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the child restraint anchor points are an Australian market requirement. One must be fitted to each position in the back where a child seat could be fitted. In our case three. They are just basically a restraint strap anchor loop and are in the rear parcel shelf. There are three threaded bosses welded into the shelf you will see if you look up under it from the trunk or boot. The Australian cars just appear to have a different interior parcel shelf with three lift out covers just above where the bosses are allowing you to screw the anchor loop in there.

In my case I had to cut three holes where the bosses are and purchase the anchor loops from the stealer and screw them in there. Its quite a neat installation, Il post a pic tomorrow

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Good to see another m5 in the correct hemisphere! Dont ask me about my most recent experience importing a Ford into NZ from the UK...

·
1,946 Posts
Congratulations...some useful gen to file away should I decide to head South any time :)

YG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys

I Finally get some time to write a post about bringing my M5 from Northern Ireland all the way to Australia. Here's a little breakdown of the process for any one interested-

1. Apply for personal import approval and have it granted

2. Find a shipping agent, I went with Autoshippers UK who are agents for Hoegh Autoliners (the worlds largest RORO vehicle shipping company shipping cars all over the world for many manufacturers) The price for shipping came in at just under 1300 GBP or $1900 AUD including insurance

3. Find a clearing and customs agent. These are the people who handle your car whilst in port through unloading, quarantine, customs etc. I went with Seaway Customs based in Brisbane as they too are agents of Hoegh Autoliners.

4. Find a shop to do vehicle compliance and roadworthy and registration. I went with New Prestige World workshop in Brisbane. I wouldn't recommend them as they didn't provide good service, were slow over priced and unpleasant.

5. Enjoy your M5 :wroom:

Costs in AUD were as follows-

Import application $65
Shipping and insurance $ 1900
Clearing, Quarantine, customs duty and tax $2415
Compliance, roadworthy and 6 months registration $2000

My Main reasons for taking the car with me when re-locating were: I love my car; I think its better to have a car like this you know rather than just purchase a new one obviously because you know the maintenance it has received for at least part of its history and you know where its at, what needs done and what doesn't. And also the Higher resale values in Australia mean I will recover the costs of import if I were to sell which I have no intention of.

For anyone thinking of doing anything like this probably to any country a big money-saver is having a favorable customs valuer put as low a value on your car as possible thus reducing your tax burden. Seaway Customs helped me in a big way here and all I had to do was hint at them on the phone. After all the value should just reflect what it is when it arrives, just a car which may or may not be running well and of undetermined history.

Id like to thank member Manualshifter on here who I met randomly one morning up a mountain. He was very helpful with helping me track down what was required for the car to meet Australian Design Rules namely only 3x child restraint anchor points which were already built in, just hidden. and has been very helpful sharing knowledge on where to get parts from etc.

We managed to meet up for a flying visit once my car was on the road and below are some pics! :)
Hi will,

i am about to bring my bmw 530d msport into Australia ( brisbane ) and am looking for some advise. I can arrange the shipping and i have found a company to do the compliance certificate and registration. I however need a shipping/customs agent valuer. I noticed you used seaway and wondered if you could give me some more information or a breakdown of what you had to pay them including the duty and customs tax? Did they have a certified valuer who valued your car?

Any information would be great!!

My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
152 Posts
willrobinson,
I completely understand wanting to take YOUR M5 since you know the history and have a "relationship" with it already. I wonder how it would go if I ever wanted to bring my M5 over (steering wheel on the other side of the Beast)? :eek:oohhh::wroom:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also shipped my car back from UK in 2013, I used Iron Lady Imports to assist and they were great. Contact detail and more info over here
thanks for the info... i actually knew about these guys already, and a couple of other places based in brissy. Iron lady for me personally were MASSIVELY overpriced. I have managed to get it shipped via shared container in half the time i was quoted (just 38 days) and have given me a breakdown of all costs and valuation/tax of my car and iv managed to save more than 35% on what i was quoted. One guy wanted over $10000???! LUDICROUS! The company i went with have been ridiculously helpful , very knowledgeable and have answered any questions iv had without hesitation. It ships on Monday so hopefully all goes relatively smoothly. :smile

·
Registered
240 Posts
willrobinson,
I completely understand wanting to take YOUR M5 since you know the history and have a "relationship" with it already. I wonder how it would go if I ever wanted to bring my M5 over (steering wheel on the other side of the Beast)? :eek:oohhh::wroom:
IIRC left-hand-drive cars are illegal in Australia (and Hong Kong for that matter)..

·
Registered
152 Posts
IIRC left-hand-drive cars are illegal in Australia (and Hong Kong for that matter)..
Damn I didn't know that. Guess I'll have to look for one there if I ever move Down Under. I came close to moving there a few years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts