BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight I had several head to head runs against my friend's 03 M3 SMGII. We did several runs a few months ago and I also posted that duel HERE

Now, here are the conditions tonight:
one person in each car. My friend and I are at the same weight.
His car has more options thus weights approx. 40 kg more. With my exhaust setup I'm almost 60 kg lighter.
My car is at almost 9000 km and his car is at 40000km.
Both of the cars had half tank fuel.
Unfortunately I forgot to select S6 in manual mode. My car was at S5 vs his car was at S6.

We did several runs from 2nd gear from 60 km/h to up untill 200 km/h. We also did several runs from 3rd gear 90 km/h to up untill 200 km/h. We were DEAD even. Since my car is lighter, I guess his bone stock car is making about 10-15 more hp.

I don't know how much difference could S5 vs S6 make to this result but I guess it would give me slight advantage if we were both in S6 mode.

Here is the interesting part:
we also did a few runs at 4th gear from low rpms. This time I passed him about 1 car length and it increased as the speed increased. I didn't understand why but I guess, due to lack of power at low rpms, my lighter car is faster.

If you read it from the above link, his car was 1-2 car length faster before I put the SS race muffler and the SS X-pipe (my car was at 5000 km)

Let me tell you that his bone stock M3 is somehow faster than his girl friend's 360 Modena :confused: :eek: I don't try to tell you that an E46 M3 is faster than a Modena. I'm just pointing out that his car is a strong example.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the pictures of my M3 and my friend's 03 M3 together.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Very interesting, the same test i had with my friend: my M3 is 2002 full optional with 46.000 km but his M3 is 2001 totally normal with 17.000km, i guess 50 kg of difference. I have 19 wheels.
We did several runs from 1nd gear from 30 km/h to up untill 200 km/h, his car was 1 car length faster :grrrrr: I have a race muffler but he is stock.
After the bearings recall i think that my car has -10 hp :sad2:

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
I have a similar story as well. There's a 04' M3 here that's also very strong and it's completely stock and runs on 19" wheels. I raced him a couple of times before I did my Kelleners upgrade and his car managed to beat me every time. The difference was sometimes a car length but at higher speeds he gained even more distance.

He claimed he didn't follow proper run in instructions and he drove his M3 hard from the day he got it. He did all engine recalls as well. He managed to beat an Audi RS6 as well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Gabriel343 said:
Very interesting, the same test i had with my friend: my M3 is 2002 full optional with 46.000 km but his M3 is 2001 totally normal with 17.000km, i guess 50 kg of difference. I have 19 wheels.
We did several runs from 1nd gear from 30 km/h to up untill 200 km/h, his car was 1 car length faster :grrrrr: I have a race muffler but he is stock.
After the bearings recall i think that my car has -10 hp :sad2:
Actually I believe 19" wheels make the car slower due to additional unsprung weight.
I had a race with my ex-03 M3 coupe against a 02 M3 coupe SMG. Both cars had the same equippment; only difference was that I had 18" wheels and the other car had 19" wheels. That car had supersprint S pipe w/o resonator, SS x-pipe w/o resonator and SS street muffler. Also that car had superchips upgrade. Both cars had 2 people in at that night and we were DEAD even.

That time this result made me very happy :cool: :D :D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
HIPAD said:
He claimed he didn't follow proper run in instructions and he drove his M3 hard from the day he got it. He did all engine recalls as well. He managed to beat an Audi RS6 as well.

My friend drives his M3 very aggresively, too; even more than me.
He fellow the break-in instructions for the first 1500km, than always drove the car hard. He also had the bearings recall done.

BTW, how does your exhaust sound with SS race cats/ SS x-pipe and OEM muffler setup HIPAD??
When I have time, I'll switch back to OEM muffler. I don't want to put back that 24kg box on the car BUT race muffler sound horrible at low rpms; I can't bare its noise and bad comments of my friends anymore.

Today my friend heard my car, who loves aftermarket exhaust's and he is a Ferrari lunatic, told me that my car sounds very cheap at low RPMs. :sad2: :sad2:

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
pride355 said:
BTW, how does your exhaust sound with SS race cats/ SS x-pipe and OEM muffler setup HIPAD??
I didn't put back the OEM muffler, I have replaced that with an SS muffler when I got the complete kit from Supersprint. My M3 sounds very civilized now, and the loudest thing you hear is from the SS race kats which isn't bad. I like it more now, but my friend who has the GruppeM muffler told me that your car sounded like a tiger before and now it sounds like a cat ??????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts