BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Why are you selling it Andy?

Orionco is my favorite exterior color, and is totally impossible for me to pronounce :)

Does the word "Orionco" mean anything in English or German?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just fancy a change! Not sure what to buy yet though. Something a little bit lighter, with a steering rack.

You might be surprised to hear that I looked up what 'Orinoco' was when I bought the car. Sad, eh??

Orinoco is the name of a river in Venezuela, I presume it's the same colour as my car! Ha ha ha!

There's a link here to how to pronounce it (click on the little speaker)

http://www.answers.com/orinoco&r=67

Orinoco is also the name of one of the Wombles, but I don't think that has anything do do with the M5... :hihi:

Cheers!
Andy

·
Registered
63 Posts
AndyE said:
I just fancy a change! Not sure what to buy yet though. Something a little bit lighter, with a steering rack.

Andy
Andy - What about a nice 968CS ? All the steering feel you need, but small and a 4pot motor, but tasty as chips. Or a 928 if you like to get a couple more cylinders '-)

As for your Ad, says you had a new short engine at 114k... was this warranty or did you buy it? what was the details on this if you dont mind the question??

·
Registered
261 Posts
Both very good suggestions M5Sime, and as a 944 Turbo owner I'd add that to the mix as well! Comfortably inside £10K with a nice tuning budget to boot....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
968CS is currently top of my list - although I haven't driven one yet.

At 114k, there was a problem with the AFM which caused the car to run lean, apparently. This led to the engine burning a hole in two pistons - and the block was damaged in the process.

The AFM was replaced, as was the engine block - with new pistons, bearings and gaskets, and the crank was rebalanced. The Cylinder head was reconditioned too. The Timing gear was all in good state.

This work was paid for by the trader who sold me the car, thankfully!! Big Bill...

·
Registered
63 Posts
AndyE said:
At 114k, there was a problem with the AFM which caused the car to run lean, apparently. This led to the engine burning a hole in two pistons - and the block was damaged in the process.
QUOTE]

Parp !

Is this something to try and keep an eye on..? Let me know what you think of the 968. They look great outside, a bit odd inside and the hatch area is a bit pants. the turbo option could be fun actually as with most Porsches (bar the 911 turbo, GT3 and maybe 928 etc) they are more about handling finesse than lots of power.

AFM? Airflow Module? I had both Airmass sensors replaced on my E39 M5 to cure a misfire on full beans (actually safe mode) and boy did that sound like I killed the huge V8 after changing up! :eek:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M5Sime said:
Is this something to try and keep an eye on..?
I think it's a case that the previous owner hadn't noticed it wasn't running right. I don't think it's anything to worry about happening to other M5s, it could happen to any engine, but no doubt you'd notice first!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My brothers got a 968 Sport. Difficult to compare as its a purpose built sport coupe, but a 3 lite 4 pot will be a real disappointment after a 3.8 Six - and don't think the 968 is that well built.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
day said:
My brothers got a 968 Sport. Difficult to compare as its a purpose built sport coupe, but a 3 lite 4 pot will be a real disappointment after a 3.8 Six - and don't think the 968 is that well built.
But I think the 968 Club Sport is meant to be one of the best handling cars. Not driven one as yet though.

I think at the time had one of the biggest 4 cyl engines needed the Mitsubishi balancer shafts to stop the engine vibrating so much.

Should be a great drive especially around the ring!:biggrin: and also for track days and I suppose a bit more modern than an E30 M3.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Simonal said:
But I think the 968 Club Sport is meant to be one of the best handling cars. Not driven one as yet though.

I think at the time had one of the biggest 4 cyl engines needed the Mitsubishi balancer shafts to stop the engine vibrating so much.

Should be a great drive especially around the ring!:biggrin: and also for track days and I suppose a bit more modern than an E30 M3.....
Porsche paid Mitsubishi a royalty for use of their balancer shaft system, right back to the early days of the 2.5litre NA 924S. Strangely, I used to run a Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo which had the system fitted, and one of the first 'peformance' mods was to ditch the balancer shafts as they sapped valuable bhp....

There's a nice article in this month's May 05 Classic and Sportscar comparing the E30 M3 and the 968CS

Peter Morgan's book "Original Porsche 924/944/968 is also worth a read.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Kurt Ramsden said:
Porsche paid Mitsubishi a royalty for use of their balancer shaft system, right back to the early days of the 2.5litre NA 924S. Strangely, I used to run a Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo which had the system fitted, and one of the first 'peformance' mods was to ditch the balancer shafts as they sapped valuable bhp....

There's a nice article in this month's May 05 Classic and Sportscar comparing the E30 M3 and the 968CS

Peter Morgan's book "Original Porsche 924/944/968 is also worth a read.
Yes I remember I found it quite funny that Porsche " Master of engineering" had to pay "common" Mitsubishi a mass manufacturer for a piece of vital technology so they could sell a whole range of cars from 924S to the 968 CS which I think was the last one to use the four pot engine and the shafts!

I was going to suggest the E30 M3 as they are again fantastic to drive small and chuckable. When I get a little more spare funds I think I would like another one as they are so fun to drive.

I was going to suggest it earlier but I though that Andy may like to get away from the Motorsport BMW range, but it would be my choice .....again as I have already had one......

Mus make a note to get a copy of the magizine add to my collection.

Andy - If you need any articles I should have a scanner soon and I have an extensive car magizine library going back years.....once I get the scanner I will scan the E34 M5 articles that I have not seen on the net.....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I really haven't decided what to go for, the 968CS is just one of the interesting options.

That e30-vs-968 article (I only bought Classic & SC for it) was poorly written with quite a few errors. I won't buy it again...

I don't want an e30 M3, even though they're very good. I'd prefer something a little bit newer, and something which can be civilised and quiet when necessary...

The *sensible* choice for a replacement would be an E36 (pre-evo) M3. Cheap to run and repair, tidy handling with civilised behaviour, lots around....

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I have to say that I view the 968 CS as a sublime beautifully balanced car
That flatters drivers skills.
Its been a few yrs since I got one by the scruff of the neck at the Circuit de Bretagne (MVS Venturi was devleoped there).

It belonged to an old boy from Belgium called Zolf. We swapped cars after we did passenger laps in each others cars.

It was a marvelous car with great handling & balance.
I would have one anyday if kids & such like were not an issue.

A friend went from a modified 944 Turbo to a 968 CS & had it 4 yrs.

Lovely...

Hope you get one them Andy.

Regards
Farrell

1 - 18 of 18 Posts