BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three years ago, I posted a thread about my new Dinan/JRZ suspension and how it improved the handling of an already decent stock set-up. It was a perfect compromise of a comfortable ride during normal driving and stiff handling when pushed to the limits. My only concern was the durability of the monotube design for street use. Well 6 collapsed struts later (3 on each side) :( I finally switched to the Koni Yellows (re-valved by Dinan) with their matching springs. I must say the ride is a lot harsher (Steve warned about that) but they handle great, predictable, competent and hopefully more durable. I also like that it rides about 1/4 to 3/8" lower than the JRZ's. If I had to do it again I would save the $$ and go with the Koni's (btw, Dinan no longer offer the JRZ's).

Dinan covered all of the collapsed struts way beyond their std warranty as well as my new Koni's :D. For those who complain about their prices, this is one example of why some of us go with Dinan.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Wow El Diablo,

Sorry to hear about your JRZ experience. Mine have been fine so far..knock on woodouich..about 6K on them in 3 years. I am glad that Dinan came through for you. I don't look forward to switching to Koni, the JRZ's ride so well. How many miles did you have on the JRZs, did all of the shocks fail or did 1 or 2 fail several times?

James

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
JRZ

I had nothing but grief with my Dinan JRZ suspension. Finally gave up and went to GC Coil-overs. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The previous owner of my vehicle put Stage III Dinan struts on. I asked an indie and they said (upon inspection) that they were Koni--however, the seller said they were JRZ. Any way to tell? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Glad to see it all got resolved for you in this fashion, R! Now, how come no pics of new lowered ride height? ;)

J

·
Registered
877 Posts
The previous owner of my vehicle put Stage III Dinan struts on. I asked an indie and they said (upon inspection) that they were Koni--however, the seller said they were JRZ. Any way to tell? Thanks.
Quick and dirty:

JRZ are black shocks

Koni are yellow

If you take a front wheel off you will have a great view of the shock and the label will be on there.

James

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Quick and dirty:

JRZ are black shocks

Koni are yellow

If you take a front wheel off you will have a great view of the shock and the label will be on there.

James
Great advice. I think you can also probably see it if you look through the spokes of the wheels, in case you didn't want to remove them.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well, that makes me feel good. I have the Dinan Koni Stage 3 suspension and regretted that the JRZ's were not available when I purchased having heard so much about them. I've been real happy with the Koni's to date.

Three years ago, I posted a thread about my new Dinan/JRZ suspension and how it improved the handling of an already decent stock set-up. It was a perfect compromise of a comfortable ride during normal driving and stiff handling when pushed to the limits. My only concern was the durability of the monotube design for street use. Well 6 collapsed struts later (3 on each side) :( I finally switched to the Koni Yellows (re-valved by Dinan) with their matching springs. I must say the ride is a lot harsher (Steve warned about that) but they handle great, predictable, competent and hopefully more durable. I also like that it rides about 1/4 to 3/8" lower than the JRZ's. If I had to do it again I would save the $$ and go with the Koni's (btw, Dinan no longer offer the JRZ's).

Dinan covered all of the collapsed struts way beyond their std warranty as well as my new Koni's :D. For those who complain about their prices, this is one example of why some of us go with Dinan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks black to me. Hmm, wonder why I got the different diagnoses.

My driver's side squeaks sometimes while driving (usually) at slow speeds over bumps. Sound familiar to anyone? My passenger's side did this a few months ago and the strut was replaced--I guess it was JRZ without the Dinan stamp on it hmmm. Got rid of the squeak though.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Looks black to me. Hmm, wonder why I got the different diagnoses.

My driver's side squeaks sometimes while driving (usually) at slow speeds over bumps. Sound familiar to anyone? My passenger's side did this a few months ago and the strut was replaced--I guess it was JRZ without the Dinan stamp on it hmmm. Got rid of the squeak though.
I believe I see a Dinan sticker on the side of that shock...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow El Diablo,

Sorry to hear about your JRZ experience. Mine have been fine so far..knock on woodouich..about 6K on them in 3 years. I am glad that Dinan came through for you. I don't look forward to switching to Koni, the JRZ's ride so well. How many miles did you have on the JRZs, did all of the shocks fail or did 1 or 2 fail several times?

James

James,
Put in about 10K miles in the 3 years. The first set lasted about a year and a half (6K miles). Each side collapsed about 3 months from each other. They replaced it with the "updated" more robust version. Those lasted about a year (again within 2-3 months from each other). The last set collapsed right away. I drove with it for about 3 months while Dinan tried to figure out what to do and then had to wait a bit cuz those Koni's were on a national back order recently. What sucked was the number of times I had to take it back in to Dinan. They were as fed up with JRZ as I was. I agree the JRZ's did ride real nice. Apologize for the long reply.
Roberto

Reactions: jimmythefish

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe I see a Dinan sticker on the side of that shock...
Me too! :grinyes:

That photo was taken at the purchase of the vehicle. No pics of it right now :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The squeak, which will progress to a light thumping is a collapsed strut. Ask me how i know this.

Reactions: dantedorazio

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to see it all got resolved for you in this fashion, R! Now, how come no pics of new lowered ride height? ;)

J
Waiting for the weather to get better so I can give her a good wash. Pics will follow.
R

·
Registered
113 Posts
The squeak, which will progress to a light thumping is a collapsed strut. Ask me how i know this.
Not good. :crying:

More problems...

Especially if what you call "thumping" is what I call a "blurb-blurb" sound...

*sigh*

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I will take my car out, I believe that I have heard a squeak!! Now I will have to find the little piggy:hihi:

James

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dinan does NOT re-valve koni shocks, this is a proven fact.
Nightkrawler, thanks for the clarification. You are correct in that Dinan orders the Koni's with a specific valve tune (specific to Dinan) to match their springs. When they arrive they put each shock/strut on their shock dynamometer to check for the correct dampening and rebound. These are then "set" prior to each installation. This is the case for the Koni's across all models including the E39 from Dinan.
-Roberto

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i have my didan jrz on my m5 for two years now not an issue yet however i did blow out my upper shock mount how do you know yours have failed

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have my didan jrz on my m5 for two years now not an issue yet however i did blow out my upper shock mount how do you know yours have failed
It will start out as a squeak then into light thumping when going over even the smallest bumps. There will be little effect on dampening but on hard cornering it will be obvious to you and will notice the collapsed strut as there is less rebound.:(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts