BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a ride in the M5, and even though I am a AMG and RS fan, WOW, this car was amazing.

The feeling of acceleration was simmilar to e55 and rs6, you feel that you are moving fast, but you don't realize exactly how fast the car acctually is. There is no drama, like in comparison to the 996 turbo.

What impressed me the most was the handling, I barely got the chance to fasten my seatbelt before we were oversteering over half the field.
Then Gustav decided that we were not going to burn any more rubber, so the car got grip instantly and bang, 2nd gear, bang, 3rd gear, bang 4th... (you will understand what I mean when you get the chance to feel the sportshifts in action). When I looked at the speedo the "M"onster5 was doing 270...

This wasn't what impressed me the most though. After the action on the field Gustav demonstrated the comfortmode; after oversteering and accelerating with shifts that felt like someone deliberately tried to kill the gearbox the car turned into a luxury autobahn comfort cruiser in the instance he pushed the button.

The dampers turned from rockhard into very soft, the gearbox was transformed into something you would expect in a S-klass, and the overall personality of the car turned into something you could use to drive your grandma in.
Gustav did some softer slalom turns, and the car was behaving just like a large sedan with four passengers; all over the place. I would say it would have understeered if we had driven a bit faster.
As a passenger, in this mode, I could almost keep my place in the center of the backseat since the turns were so long and soft.

When the car was just in center before the next slalom turn, he pushed the sportmode button again. The car had transformed before he turned-in again, and this time the turn felt like going into a wall.
No understeering or mushroomy feeling this time, now it was pure trackcar again. I was thrown into my friend on one side, and the millisecond later I was thrown back. Neither me or my friends could keep the smiles or laughter, the car is Amazing. It felt almost surreal that one instance you were riding in extreme comfort, and the other you were in the backseat, together with two others, in what must have been a twoseated sportscar jugding by the performance.

Thank you for the ride Gustav!

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Thank you for the perfect writeup, thank you! But the pictures where amazing, great work. Also, the M5 is in front of the Gallardo here :)

I would apprceiate to see all your M5 pics, just mail them to [email protected] and we can maybe use some of them in the report.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Can't wait to see all the vids.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Thanks for the report, xscream. And thanks especially for describing the car's capabilities in both the all-out sport and comfort departments. Its ability to excel in both areas is what makes it so attractive to those of us who will use it as a daily driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts