BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after having intermittent iDrive problems (see this thread and video) last Summer I had a completely new CCC unit fitted and for the last 8months all has been well.

Alas as summer approaches again it seems the iGremlins that live in the iDrive have been awoken from their iHibernation and gone about destroying things again.

After work today my display stayed blank and nothing I could do would fix it. Engine off/on, CCC reset with power button and two eject buttons, nothing.

I could get the orange lights either side of the CD slots to turn off for a few seconds doing the CCC reset but that's all.

It's been sat for over an hour and still no joy. My phone shows it's connecting to bluetooth but calls are not routed through the speakers. Yet again I'm left with no music, sat-nav or handsfree, fortunately I've got no long journeys coming up but it's beginning to get irritating now.

Just reminds me how daft you'd have to be to own an E60 M5 without a warranty!:1zhelp:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Bad luck Neil - at least it's not the gearbox :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm guessing this is a pleasure / pain thing as I too had a problem today.

Too much pleasure at Silverstone.

I got a Electronic Steering Lock failure today, something to do with ELV.

I call the dealer who says just call the emergency service as they will send someone out and if they can't fix it, they'll provide a replacement vehicle whilst it is fixed. But don't have time for all that as I have to empty a house for tomorrow, so I just disconnected the battery, works fine now.

If it happens again I'll get it towed, but I did notice a key icon when I turned the car off. I believe the steering lock is released by the presence of the key, I may change the battery in the fob as a precaution

Been fine since.

I guess you could try and disconnect your battery, though not too sure if that will help with your issue.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad luck Neil - at least it's not the gearbox :rolleyes:
...not yet, but I'm sure my day is coming.

I got a Electronic Steering Lock failure today, something to do with ELV.
I had the EVL error the other week and cleared it by putting the key into the slot rather than relying on comfort access. Took video and posted in a similar thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1267308&postcount=9

I'm hoping my iDrive failure will rectify itself by the morning, if not it's off to the dealer first thing in the morning. If they can't look at it for a few days I might try the whole battery disconnect.

I love the way out car's don't moan with a full day driving hard on the track but a little bit of city driving sends it loopy!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I love the way out car's don't moan with a full day driving hard on the track but a little bit of city driving sends it loopy!
I know, I was in the car park at Nursery School when it happend ouich

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Not a good thing to hear about. The CCC is a costly unit, not including the labor. Any of us who've had it done already should be worried. Good luck with the fix. I agree that, with all we know, no warranty coverage is dangerous.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well there's some good news :applause: when I started up this morning the screen flickered on/off about 3 times :confused2 before finally kicking back into life and all is working fine.

I'm still going to get it in to be looked at though as it could be an indication/lead up to a more permanent failure in the near future and the last thing I want is to have no iDrive when travelling far from home/across Europe.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The CCC in mine was replaced a few weeks ago. Make sure they return your Nav DVD if you're not able to extract it before dropping the car off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts