BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you! I have to admit I wasn't aware of Stratus grau and how cool it looks in person.

Bucket list has been checked. Nurburgring has been on my radar for a long time.

I'm not sure regarding the timeframe for Ohlins setup for e39 M5. I was just told they are working on it and e36 M3 is on the list as well. Knowing their stuff it'll come with a nice price tag but they do make high quality components.
Danke! More stuff coming soon for sure. :)Thanks. :) I work in IT for a financial company in Frankfurt and messing around with old bimmers as you can see.

They do appreciate them very much. Most of the time I will go unnoticed but often times I'll get thumbs up, same goes for when I was in France not long ago. Couple of times I had people at lights asking me to rev the engine, lol.

In other noticias - coming up on BMW barn find hunter...

Dios mío

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Is that an E31 850?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
That 850i is quite the find. Strange that it seems neglected but has E63 M6 wheels on it...which need to be replaced ASAP!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Awesome update. What's this guy doing, removing excess rubber while enjoying a cold one? Getting rid of that "clag" as it were?
I guess. Few of the pits were chillaxing that day. :grin

That 850i is quite the find. Strange that it seems neglected but has E63 M6 wheels on it...which need to be replaced ASAP!
Yeah, I'm stoked about E31. I took a big risk buying it since it's a non-runner at the moment, engine turns over but doesn't start. Morons tried to start it with old gas so I'll need to go through few things before trying to fire it up.

Oh yes, I should pick up a set of original cross spoke 16" wheels this weekend. I'm pretty sure those are replica E63 M6 wheels and just look nasty on 850i.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
M-Pars do look brilliant on E31 but I'm leaning more towards CSi throwing stars Style 21. However they are very pricey, so it will be getting a set of original Style 8 wheels for now. Priority is to get the car up and running and then we can think about better wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
M-Pars do look brilliant on E31 but I'm leaning more towards CSi throwing stars Style 21. However they are very pricey, so it will be getting a set of original Style 8 wheels for now. Priority is to get the car up and running and then we can think about better wheels.

Got really excited there thought you were going to hit us with an epic update!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Maybe down the road. :grin Getting a decent set of M-Pars or throwing stars with new tires would set me back cool $1,500-2,000 and spending that kind of dough on a car that doesn't run doesn't really make sense.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My beast has finally arrived in 🇩🇪

I’m waiting for my the rest of my Einhorn and Dinan goodies to arrive. The M5 is tucked safely in the garage for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Come on man!!! Your devoted followers need a update to your life of restoring old m’s in the home land!!!!
Soon. Work in progress on the M and E31.

My beast has finally arrived in

I’m waiting for my the rest of my Einhorn and Dinan goodies to arrive. The M5 is tucked safely in the garage for now.
Willkommen! Lucky to find a garage that quickly. In which city have you landed again?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Update time.

With 2 cars in the garage, the pile of parts kept getting bigger.

With the arrival of cold weather, it was time to address the cooling system on the M5. The thermostat was stuck open and in need of replacing but while in there, I decided to address other components as part of preventive maintenance.

New parts laid out.

Lots of stuff in the way of getting to the water pump so the disassembly begins.

MAFs and radiator shroud removed.

One of the bolts of the water pump is obstructed by the vibration damper hence the removal of it is required.

Locked the vibration damper with 8 mm drill bit and removed the crank pulley which revealed 4 bolts that secure vibration damper in place.

Vibration damper removed.

Coming back to the top and preparing to the pull the thermostat housing out. Quick tip - spray a dab of WD-40 on the tstat pipe O-rings, it will make the removal that much easier.

Pipe connection.

The water pump was next. Before removing the tstat and wp, I drained the coolant from the block.

Cleaned up the gunk as best as I could and mounted new wp gasket.

New wp installed and bolts torqued to 10 Nm. The gasket likes to pop out from its seating position so installing a couple of bolts before pushing the water pump in place will stop that from happening.

Next was reinstalling the vibration damper. It's important to use new bolts as these are stretch bolts torqued to 60 Nm and then 2 times 50° torque angle.

I bought this cheap and flimsy torque angle gauge but it served the purpose perfectly. Before doing the bolts, I practiced on my old trolley jack. 😄

Crank pulley, belts and new water pump pulley installed.

New thermostat and new O-rings installed all lubed up with trusty technisches vaselin. I bought Behr 79°C and Gates 82°C thermostat. Gates is I think the same as Stant in the US and I was thinking it would be better if the car runs a little hotter in winter days but I went with Behr at the end.
The rubber O-ring on Gates is inferior to one on Behr and I'm pretty sure it would leak unless sealant is used. Maybe next time I'll give Gates a shot.

All buttoned up along with new hoses and temp sensors.

Started the beast, checked for leaks and there weren't any. Followed up with a test drive and got perfect readings.

Job well done. Overall not a terrible job just tedious. Big, big shoutout to the M5 guru vantaam5 who created brief and yet so effective water pump DIY.

Didn't stop there though. Replaced diff fluid - the fluid that came out was nice and clean so it was replaced not long ago by the PO.
New tranny fluid - I originally put OE BMW MTF LT-2 fluid which was fine but kinda crunchy compared to what I had on the previous M5.
I went for a new Liqui Moly product - Top Tec MTF 5200 75W-80 which is BMW MTF LT-2 approved. The 2nd gear is still notchy when cold but once warmed up the shifting is much smoother.
I'll leave it in for now but I might go back to Motul DCTF which had the best cold start performance. I know Royal Purple Synchromax is amongst popular for M5 but it's quite pricey in Europe.

Early oil change. I probably said too many times that I love Liqui Moly products but one thing that bothers me about their 10w60 is that it's slow to get up to temperature, just seems a bit thick in cold weather. I tried BMW branded 10w60 in previous M5 and oil was much quicker to warm up. I pulled the spec sheet for BMW 10w60 and Shell 10w60 and they are identical so I found a good deal on Shell 10w60 and picked that up.

The cold start seems quieter and it is a bit quicker to get up to temperature with Shell, other than that it's the same. So far I'm happy.

New fuel filter which was a waste of time and money. The previous owner replaced it last year judging by the production date. Still, it's a relatively cheap piece of mind.

Got a good deal on OE Bosch MAFs so chucked them on quickly. Not sure if mine were ever replaced hence the decision to refresh them.

That's it as far as the M5 goes. I'm getting ready to rebuild the alternator since bearings are shot and replace shifter bushings, the gear knob has too much slop for my taste.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Also an update on E31.

This is the car I spotted on Spanish listings around 3 months ago. At that time it was advertised with a high price tag but said that it's a project car and price was negotiable. Intrigued, I contacted the guy and started getting more info on the car.

Original Spanish car that spent all its life in the Madrid area. The car was purchased by sellers father back in 1995 and they were the 2nd owners.
They barely used it and between 1995 and 2009 the car covered around 17k miles.

Last inspection stamp (ITV) was in November 2009 which is around the time the car went off the road and into storage.

After some back and forth, I received dusty photos I posted above and the usual spiel that the car is perfect, everything working, started regularly... The price went down, but not low enough. I made him a low but realistic offer at which he responded as not being mad to sell at that price. In a nice way, I explained to him that he is indeed mad for wanting unfeasible money for the car. I wished him good luck and we stopped talking.

A few weeks ago I sent him a text asking if he sold the car, he didn't and he removed the ad since he was getting stupid offers from tire kickers. He wanted to get rid of it and asked what would I pay, I made him a bit better offer under the condition everything was as he described and that the car is running. He agreed and I decided to fly out and see this forgotten car.

The car was in the city of Salamanca, 2 hours from Madrid. I didn't have enough free time to make a proper road trip out of this and I flew alone with a return flight home the next day.

Beautiful scenery en route to Salamanca.

I met with the seller who lives 3 hours away from Salamanca and who actually didn't see the car for 5 years. :biggrin The car was taken out of the storage and into sellers friend mechanic shop around the corner. They washed it and the car was running 2 weeks ago, but idiots didn't drain the tank and started the car with old gas. The car is turning over but not starting.

Pictures of the car.

A sane person would walk away and never look back, but I was a man in love. The interior albeit filthy and full with years of dust is just mint - leather without wear, headliner still intact and even the pixels in the center console were still there. The doors open in a perfectly smooth manner, shifter slots into gears perfectly with no slop - everything feels like a low mileage car. 3 keys, original service book, manual and other documents, no rust, no signs of accidents and apart from fake E63 M6 wheels, totally original. Paint has various scratches most likely from it being pushed around and I'll judge the condition once properly washed, but should clean up.

Here I am, 1200 miles away from home, in an industrial area on the outskirts of Salamanca, middle of nowhere in Spain with a car that doesn't start. Naturally, I start low balling the seller and after some shrewd negotiation with my limited Spanish skills, we settle on the price. Left the car and went to sort out the paperwork. All done in timely fashion and I headed home. No time to explore Madrid but I'm going back there for vacation in December. :)

The 8er arrived a week and a half ago. A polish guy picked up the car in Spain on Monday 5pm and delivered it in Frankfurt on Wednesday 4pm. Express delivery considering it's a 1.150 miles long journey!

I ended up renting another parking spot in the garage where my M5 sleeps. Not ideal for this type of a project but couldn't find anything better at the time so I pushed it into the spot there.

The project E31 850i revival was underway!

I was anxious to hear the engine run but first I did a series of checking and replacing stuff.
First, I got 12V on both fuel pumps and they were activating and buzzing.

Replaced fuel filters and surrounding lines which were rock hard. Fuel was on reserve and it didn't feel right opening the fuel tank at this point so I added 20 L of fresh fuel to mix it up.

Old filter indeed.

Replaced distributor caps & rotors. They had a date stamp from '91 so likey original.

Replaced skanky spark plugs. At the recommendation from E31 guys I went NGK BKR6EK plugs at the end.

Nasty air filters from '94.

Fresh oil. The oil that came out was actually looking fresh and nice color. They told me it was replaced recently so that might be true.

Hooked up new batteries and drained a bit of old coolant out.

Then I decided to try and start it. Took some effort but the old girl fired up! After a few seconds, a whining noise appeared so I shut it off. I overlooked to check the PS fluid canister and surely morons filled it with ATF instead of Pentosin and mesh filter wasn't secured.

Brake booster and power steering share the same fluid. I pumped the brake pedal like 30 times which pushed the fluid from the brake pressure accumulator to the reservoir and I sucked out as much as I could from the canister and then removed the drain plug on the PS pump and filled with correct CHF 7.1 fluid. I plan to repeat this every time before starting the car until it's entirely green. Also, the brake booster is leaking heavily so that's on the list as well.

Fired it up again and PS pump complained for a few seconds but then it went quiet. Here's a short video:

(brake booster leaked fluid all over the exhaust hence the smoke from the front right, I think)

I was able to move it back and forth and I'm super happy about that considering I bought it as a non-runner!
It does idle kinda lumpy and I think it went into a limp mode so it won't rev past 3k rpm. After few minutes it started puffing blueish smoke so I had to shut it off, I'm hoping it's residual stuff and the car just needs to work but we'll see next time I start it. I also plan to flush the engine with a cleaner down the road.

Next, I replaced the VCV valves as this cleared up blue smoke on the previous 850i.

Before the arrival of the car, I picked up some nice original 16" style 8 wheels with fairly newish rubber. I bought them from an older gentleman from Cologne, these came off his Japan import 840Ci with 43k miles so the condition is appropriate.

Couldn't wait to remove those totally wrong wheels that were just an eyesore on E31. These are much better looking and pleasing to the eye.

Before starting it again it's just a must to flush out the coolant. It's nasty looking and full of gunk so I started removing stuff for inspection and to replace the thermostat.

One sad looking thermostat.

Radiator drain hole was actually clogged and only started draining once I poked it through with a screwdriver. The water pump is spinning noise-free and has no play.

Radiator looks good from the outside and water is moving freely so I'll give it a chance for now though I might just replace it.
I'll flush it thoroughly before putting it back as well as cleaning the expansion tank, hoses and I armed myself with enough coolant flushing products to flush the entire system. I also have new belts, tensioner and pulleys coming.

Once I'm satisfied I'll start it again and let it warm up so more to come.
Still a long way to go for this machine but progress is being made. :grin

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Wow, that E31 restoration is a full-time job! What a great find; looking forward to seeing the car fully sorted.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So damn satisfying! Also appreciate you making sure the photos are clear and easy to see. :)

Did you happen to change the O-ring at the end of the tube from the oil separators? Pretty sure mine is leaking from there but I haven't taken the water pump off yet to get access.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Ooooh subscribe!
Thanks!

Awesome. Can’t wait to read this tonight when I light the fire!!! Great work my man!!!
Thanks, man! Enjoy. :grin

Wow, that E31 restoration is a full-time job! What a great find; looking forward to seeing the car fully sorted.
Ain't that the truth. I'm happy I was able to buy it and try to revive it. It's amazing how much effort it will take to sort it out.

So damn satisfying! Also appreciate you making sure the photos are clear and easy to see. :)

Did you happen to change the O-ring at the end of the tube from the oil separators? Pretty sure mine is leaking from there but I haven't taken the water pump off yet to get access.
Thanks, Kiz. I'm happy you approve. :laugh

I actually didn't touch the oil separators. That wetness you see on the picture is coolant coming from the top, the O-ring didn't seem to leak. Just as I started working I remembered I should've ordered parts to refresh everything while access was easy, but it was too late at that point and I wanted to be done in one day. I'll be going back to wrestle with the alternator soon so I'll be sure to give it a second look.

161 - 180 of 343 Posts
About this Discussion
342 Replies
49 Participants
sreten
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing