BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks, caslvre39!

The weekend before this one it was off with the dreadful winter tires and got summer shoes on - Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2 which I bought before winter started and got a pretty good deal on them.

I had them on my old M5 and I was very happy with them. They are Y rated which means I can test the top speed limits of the M5.

There was no unusual wear on the winter tires but got 3D wheel alignment anyways and the M is all set for the summer.

This weekend we had a lovely outing to France visiting the city of Strasbourg and the medieval town of Colmar.

Strasbourg is around 2 and a half hours away from Frankfurt and I took a bit longer but more scenic route.

French roads are outstandingly smooth with barely any traffic. Recipe for a true automotive perfection in the M5.

French, of course, have a speed limit on the highway which meant I was able to get a bit normal fuel figures for the first time in a while.
Around 20 mpg while cruising at 80 mph, albeit nothing to shout about but given that I always drive flat out on the Autobahn this was a nice improvement.

I thought I'd share few pictures from sightseeing gorgeous Strasbourg where we spent the night. The weather was perfect both days.

Lots of cheese.

Strasbourg Cathedral built from 1015 to 1439.

And now Colmar, one of the most exquisite towns I visited.

Obligatory pics of the M soaking up the sunlight.

All in all, a great road trip in the books with the M5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sport Maxx are not bad, but next time you could try Michelin PSS, you will be amazed how good are they.
Fantastic pictures, by the way :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sport Maxx are not bad, but next time you could try Michelin PSS, you will be amazed how good are they.
Fantastic pictures, by the way :)
Thanks, Petar. :)

I had Michelin PSS on my ex ZHP and I loved them, great tire. I went with Dunlop this time around because it's a very good tire and I got smoking deal on them, $250 off from the regular retail price so it was a no-brainer. Met a guy that also drives E39M and works at the Goodyear/Dunlop factory so he hooked me up.

But for the next set of tires, I would love to try PS4S. Everyone is raving about them lately.

Thanks for sharing! I bet your suspension fell asleep with how smooth those roads were. :)[

Thanks, Kiznarsh! Yeah, makes for one enjoyable drive. Roads around Frankfurt are not the best and this was just so refreshing.

Finally got around to finish cleaning the engine bay.

It went from this...

To this.

And this...

To dis.

I previously mentioned my cleaning method of using Liqui Moly engine compartment cleaner, a German version of Windex, water spray bottle and couple of brushes - no pressure washing. And 303 aerospace protectant to finish off the plastic. Pretty happy how it turned out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sreten, just curious, i can see red calipers on your pictures, do you have upgraded performance brakes ot they are just painted oem's?
Now i'm in searching of the approprite kit for my E39 (i mean right combination of price/performance), as really not pleased of the oem braking system, especially if driving aggresively on mountain road.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
They are OE calipers just painted red by the previous owner. I'm not too crazy about red calipers and I'll probably repaint them back to the stock color.

Mine are OE Euro floating rotors and OE Textar pads, pretty happy with how they perform - no problem slowing me down quickly from 250 km/h on the Autobahn on few occasions but I'm sure there are better performance kits out there. Didn't really look into that area yet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
great post and keep the great pic coming. whats the stock caliper color? painted mine black and its too subtle and cant really notice the caliper, maybe next time do like anthracite like color.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I think it's safe to say that Eisenmann exhaust is fully broken in by now.

It's my favorite mod on the car. Hitting the gas pedal and hearing glorious V8 note makes everything better.

The video doesn't do it justice, but here's a little taste.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What, you didn't memorize them? Pssshhh...

But seriously what happened?
It’s been a few months since I banged the ‘stop using 3rd party hosting sites’ drum. Just taking this unfortunate opportunity to point out how much it sucks to see great threads like this ruined. I’ve already harped on you about it because you also have a great thread. Ahh, nobody cares. Here I am, a grown man, whining about strangers pictures. Pathetic.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It’s been a few months since I banged the ‘stop using 3rd party hosting sites’ drum. Just taking this unfortunate opportunity to point out how much it sucks to see great threads like this ruined. I’ve already harped on you about it because you also have a great thread. Ahh, nobody cares. Here I am, a grown man, whining about strangers pictures. Pathetic.
I hear ya, and I'm not knocking you for it, because you're right.

Besides the convenience of being able to copy & paste my posts and image links since I frequent multiple forums, I view my thread as entertainment, not something truly valuable like a solid DIY thread. So I guess that's why I'm OK with taking the risk and assuming imgur will remain the way it is. Plus it fuels Reddit, which I think has become "too big to fail," so to speak.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Well, postimage - which is what I'm using to post pictures, changed the domain from postimage.ORG to postimage.CC.

Pictures are still there I just need to edit all my embedded links to .CC. Not a huge deal, I've already done it on another forum but here I don't have an option to edit my old posts.
Can any mods help with this and if possible unlock that option for me? There are tons of pictures that I would need to edit links for and I would hate to bother anyone else with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't own a beast yet but I will sometime in the not-too-distant future. Threads like this are so helpful: both in what to look for when buying one, and what to expect post-purchase. Super-jealous, great job OP!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thank you, rainydaze and good luck with your search.

Pictures are restored.

Big thanks to JohnAnthony for doing the legwork!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Lots going on lately. The biggest news, and rather depressing one, is that I am no longer the owner of my beautiful silver beast since about 4 weeks ago.
Like it usually goes with these things, it all happened fast and unexcepted.

I wasn't planning on selling but I needed a financial injection and I had a lot of money invested in this car. On the other hand, I really didn't want to sell it simply because it was too damn nice so I told myself I would consider letting it go only for a price that couldn't be refused.

Surely, that offer came along. A 54 year old German doctor showed up to see the car and was simply blown away by the condition and everything I've done with the car. He test drove one of these back when they were new and wanted to buy the nicest example out there and was ready to pay top dollar.

He made sure that the paint was original and we counted a total of 4 rock chips on the hood, it was that perfect! For 17 years and nearly 50k miles, that's pretty remarkable.

Bought with 45k miles and sold with almost 50k, it was the cleanest car I ever owned. I'm happy that I got a chance to work on such a nice M5 and bring it back to the condition it deserves. I enjoyed every minute wrenching on it and driving it. I already miss it dearly and I know the next owner will take care of it, he actually wanted to come and get it with the closed trailer in case it was raining.

Another reason I sorta felt I was ready for a new project is simply because this M5 was a collector's car. I wanted something that I could drive more, take it to a track and don't worry about it. I like to drive my cars and I'm not the one to have a garage queen. When I was driving this M5 through the winter, albeit mild winter, Zee Germans were looking at me like I was crazy, but I'm of an opinion that these cars are meant to be driven.

Here are the last few pictures of this beautiful machine. I should also mention that the car was sold with the stock mufflers and I kept the Eisenmann. ;)

At the same time this was unraveling, I had my eyes on 2 potential replacement M5s in Italy as I wanted to jump into something else immediately.
One was in the middle of nowhere on an island next to Naples, and the other one was in Rome. Always wanted to visit Rome and this was a perfect excuse.

Traveling and chasing BMWs - two of my favorite things. So buckle up for another Italian road trip. :M5eyes:
Like the last time, I planned out the trip with my girlfriend and set off for Italy.

The journey starts with some ducktape and armrest on an airplane seat. As we all know, ducktape can fix anything, even Alitalia airplane seats.

The first M5 was located on an island of Ischia, which is close to Naples. I was 95% sure I wasn't going to buy this one, the car looked like a turd on pictures and that usually means it will look even worse in person. But we had a cheap flight to Naples so what a hell.

The view of the island of Ischia.

And a view of the tightly packed city of Naples.

From the airport, it was a 25 minute ride to the port in what must've been the sketchiest taxi ride of my life in a beat-up Fiat Multipla.
You can see the guy driving in a straight line while leisurely holding the steering wheel 45 degrees off center.

Then we hopped on a ferry for a 50 minute ride to the island.

Cannoli siciliani - delicious pastry filled with ricotta and famous for the Sicily region.

First glance of the island.

The hotel wasn't too shabby either.

Now to the M5 in question. Slicktop 05/2001 Carbon black on Caramel leather interior. One owner car (father & son) and just 60k miles.
This was a fine specimen back in the day but this poor car was never loved and the current state is simply sad.

Mechanically, the car was a disaster and looked like it was never serviced but I could live with that since most of the things I could fix myself.

But the worst part of the car is the body. I asked the guy 3 times before coming if the car had any accidents and he said absolutely none, just that the car was keyed few years ago, and it got new paint at BMW. Well, not true. The car was also hit in the rear end and there were obvious signs of repair on the rear left quarter panel and the whole trunk area was misaligned with weird gaps.

My paint thickness gauge went berserk. Orginal paint should read around 110-120 um, this one went over 1 mm.

On top of that, the paint job was dreadful. It's like somebody resprayed it blindfolded using a brush. The car was relatively cheap, but accident combined with a bad paint job is where I draw the line.
This is a good example why you should never take the sellers word for granted and inspect the car before purchase. I would rather travel and spend some time and money then to buy it sight unseen and get a nasty surprise.

That's it as far as this M5 goes. We moved on to exploring beautiful Ischia and had a lovely evening in town.

Some Italian crushed pepper - we be putting this **** on everything

Best bruschetta we tasted so far.

And of course pasta.

The highlight of our trip to Ischia was the next day and the visit to stunning Aragonese Castle, an impressive historical monument built in 474 BC.

Some stunning scenery.

From there we hopped in a taxi to the port, then on a ferry back to Naples and by train to hit the next destination - Rome.

The real reason behind this travel was this beautiful slicktop Le Mans Blue e39 M5. The car was located in a village near Tivoli which is about 45 minutes outside of Rome.

This has to be one of the first facelift M5s as the build date reads 2000-08-31 and according to the service book, it hit the showroom floor of BMW in Milan on 18th September 2000.
It is a 2 owner car being that the 2nd owner/family had it since 2006. Currently reads 104k miles, it has pretty complete service history, 4 keys and all books.
Apart from the front bumper and front left fender, it's all original paint and being that it's an Italian car, without any rust! Very happy about that.

(yup, the M5 badge is in a wrong place and that'll be one of the first things I'm going to remedy)

The car has been very well taken care off with good recent maintenance like new fuel pump, new tires, intake cam sensor... and its packing some nice upgrades too.

- D2 Racing BBK 356x32mm

- ZF Sachs reinforced Clutch Kit & Flywheel by CCCMotorsport from Germany

- Supersprint Magnum exhaust

I carefully inspected the car and it ticked all of the boxes. There are few minor problems and room for improvement but overall, the condition of the car is very good.

More on the car later, it was time to explore Rome which has been on our bucket list for a long time.

There's so much to see in this remarkable city and we naturally kicked off with Colosseum.

Stunning Roman Forum.

Fontana di Trevi.

Former Roman temple - Pantheon.

Altare della Patria also known as Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II.

Spanish steps.

Food shots.

I have a lot more photos, but I'm already afraid I'll crash the forum if I keep posting them :D
Rome is a fascinating city and if anyone has a chance to go there, I highly recommend it.

Coming back to the car, this quickly turned into the most complicated car buy I ever had. First, it took 2 days to agree on the price and I ended up paying a bit more than I wanted, but I did like the car.
Once we agreed on the price, it was Saturday and banks and registration offices were closed which meant I couldn't get the documents in order and they couldn't check the money. Our flight was on Sunday morning and staying until Monday was not an option since I had to be back at work.

So on Saturday night, we went to their house where I met 3 brothers, their father, and mother who was the owner of the car, and dog Max. After spending 2 hours being yelled at in Italian, my girlfriend and girlfriend of one of the brothers found a language in common to be Spanish. Eventually, we figured out what to do and they cooked us a lovely dinner and next morning we were on our way back to Frankfurt.

But that's not the end of that story. I won't bore with the details, but I did what they asked which backfired and resulted in me having to go back to Rome to sort out some issues which they caused. It's hard enough when you have to deal with one seller, but five of them with their own attitude is a nightmare.

Anywho, we ended up with another splendid tour de Italy while M5 shopping. :)

Then, after so many complications along the way with the difficult owners and dreadful Italian transport company, the M5 finally arrived in Frankfurt last Friday! Appears to have arrived in one piece so I'm grateful for that.

I had a rocky start with this car but hopefully it gets better from now on. I already have a bunch of new parts coming and the goal now is to perform an inspection and get it ready for TÜV. I just can't wait to hit the Autobahn again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lots going on lately. The biggest news, and rather depressing one, is that I am no longer the owner of my beautiful silver beast since about 4 weeks ago.

Like it usually goes with these things, it all happened fast and unexcepted.

I wasn't planning on selling but I needed a financial injection and I had a lot of money invested in this car. On the other hand, I really didn't want to sell it simply because it was too damn nice so I told myself I would consider letting it go only for a price that couldn't be refused.

Surely, that offer came along. A 54 year old German doctor showed up to see the car and was simply blown away by the condition and everything I've done with the car. He test drove one of these back when they were new and wanted to buy the nicest example out there and was ready to pay top dollar.

He made sure that the paint was original and we counted a total of 4 rock chips on the hood, it was that perfect! For 17 years and nearly 50k miles, that's pretty remarkable.

Bought with 45k miles and sold with almost 50k, it was the cleanest car I ever owned. I'm happy that I got a chance to work on such a nice M5 and bring it back to the condition it deserves. I enjoyed every minute wrenching on it and driving it. I already miss it dearly and I know the next owner will take care of it, he actually wanted to come and get it with the closed trailer in case it was raining.

Another reason I sorta felt I was ready for a new project is simply because this M5 was a collector's car. I wanted something that I could drive more, take it to a track and don't worry about it. I like to drive my cars and I'm not the one to have a garage queen. When I was driving this M5 through the winter, albeit mild winter, Zee Germans were looking at me like I was crazy, but I'm of an opinion that these cars are meant to be driven.

Here are the last few pictures of this beautiful machine. I should also mention that the car was sold with the stock mufflers and I kept the Eisenmann. ;)

At the same time this was unraveling, I had my eyes on 2 potential replacement M5s in Italy as I wanted to jump into something else immediately.

One was in the middle of nowhere on an island next to Naples, and the other one was in Rome. Always wanted to visit Rome and this was a perfect excuse.

Traveling and chasing BMWs - two of my favorite things. So buckle up for another Italian road trip. :M5eyes:

Like the last time, I planned out the trip with my girlfriend and set off for Italy.

The journey starts with some ducktape and armrest on an airplane seat. As we all know, ducktape can fix anything, even Alitalia airplane seats.

The first M5 was located on an island of Ischia, which is close to Naples. I was 95% sure I wasn't going to buy this one, the car looked like a turd on pictures and that usually means it will look even worse in person. But we had a cheap flight to Naples so what a hell.

The view of the island of Ischia.

And a view of the tightly packed city of Naples.

From the airport, it was a 25 minute ride to the port in what must've been the sketchiest taxi ride of my life in a beat-up Fiat Multipla.

You can see the guy driving in a straight line while leisurely holding the steering wheel 45 degrees off center.

Then we hopped on a ferry for a 50 minute ride to the island.

Cannoli siciliani - delicious pastry filled with ricotta and famous for the Sicily region.

First glance of the island.

The hotel wasn't too shabby either.

Now to the M5 in question. Slicktop 05/2001 Carbon black on Caramel leather interior. One owner car (father & son) and just 60k miles.

This was a fine specimen back in the day but this poor car was never loved and the current state is simply sad.

Mechanically, the car was a disaster and looked like it was never serviced but I could live with that since most of the things I could fix myself.

But the worst part of the car is the body. I asked the guy 3 times before coming if the car had any accidents and he said absolutely none, just that the car was keyed few years ago, and it got new paint at BMW. Well, not true. The car was also hit in the rear end and there were obvious signs of repair on the rear left quarter panel and the whole trunk area was misaligned with weird gaps.

My paint thickness gauge went berserk. Orginal paint should read around 110-120 um, this one went over 1 mm.

On top of that, the paint job was dreadful. It's like somebody resprayed it blindfolded using a brush. The car was relatively cheap, but accident combined with a bad paint job is where I draw the line.

This is a good example why you should never take the sellers word for granted and inspect the car before purchase. I would rather travel and spend some time and money then to buy it sight unseen and get a nasty surprise.

That's it as far as this M5 goes. We moved on to exploring beautiful Ischia and had a lovely evening in town.

Some Italian crushed pepper - we be putting this **** on everything

Best bruschetta we tasted so far.

And of course pasta.

The highlight of our trip to Ischia was the next day and the visit to stunning Aragonese Castle, an impressive historical monument built in 474 BC.

Some stunning scenery.

From there we hopped in a taxi to the port, then on a ferry back to Naples and by train to hit the next destination - Rome.

The real reason behind this travel was this beautiful slicktop Le Mans Blue e39 M5. The car was located in a village near Tivoli which is about 45 minutes outside of Rome.

This has to be one of the first facelift M5s as the build date reads 2000-08-31 and according to the service book, it hit the showroom floor of BMW in Milan on 18th September 2000.

It is a 2 owner car being that the 2nd owner/family had it since 2006. Currently reads 104k miles, it has pretty complete service history, 4 keys and all books.

Apart from the front bumper and front left fender, it's all original paint and being that it's an Italian car, without any rust! Very happy about that.

(yup, the M5 badge is in a wrong place and that'll be one of the first things I'm going to remedy)

The car has been very well taken care off with good recent maintenance like new fuel pump, new tires, intake cam sensor... and its packing some nice upgrades too.

- D2 Racing BBK 356x32mm

- ZF Sachs reinforced Clutch Kit & Flywheel by CCCMotorsport from Germany

- Supersprint Magnum exhaust

I carefully inspected the car and it ticked all of the boxes. There are few minor problems and room for improvement but overall, the condition of the car is very good.

More on the car later, it was time to explore Rome which has been on our bucket list for a long time.

There's so much to see in this remarkable city and we naturally kicked off with Colosseum.

Stunning Roman Forum.

Fontana di Trevi.

Former Roman temple - Pantheon.

Altare della Patria also known as Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II.

Spanish steps.

Food shots.

I have a lot more photos, but I'm already afraid I'll crash the forum if I keep posting them :D

Rome is a fascinating city and if anyone has a chance to go there, I highly recommend it.

Coming back to the car, this quickly turned into the most complicated car buy I ever had. First, it took 2 days to agree on the price and I ended up paying a bit more than I wanted, but I did like the car.

Once we agreed on the price, it was Saturday and banks and registration offices were closed which meant I couldn't get the documents in order and they couldn't check the money. Our flight was on Sunday morning and staying until Monday was not an option since I had to be back at work.

So on Saturday night, we went to their house where I met 3 brothers, their father, and mother who was the owner of the car, and dog Max. After spending 2 hours being yelled at in Italian, my girlfriend and girlfriend of one of the brothers found a language in common to be Spanish. Eventually, we figured out what to do and they cooked us a lovely dinner and next morning we were on our way back to Frankfurt.

But that's not the end of that story. I won't bore with the details, but I did what they asked which backfired and resulted in me having to go back to Rome to sort out some issues which they caused. It's hard enough when you have to deal with one seller, but five of them with their own attitude is a nightmare.

Anywho, we ended up with another splendid tour de Italy while M5 shopping. :)

Then, after so many complications along the way with the difficult owners and dreadful Italian transport company, the M5 finally arrived in Frankfurt last Friday! Appears to have arrived in one piece so I'm grateful for that.

I had a rocky start with this car but hopefully it gets better from now on. I already have a bunch of new parts coming and the goal now is to perform an inspection and get it ready for TÜV. I just can't wait to hit the Autobahn again.

WOW. What a stunning country to look for M5s! I hope you bought them cheap! I'd love to get my hands on one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 418 Posts