BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I think they stick out same as OEM. Like Mac said, yours look to be pushed in further, but I do like how it looks!

I'll get more pictures from different angles. I still have to play around and tweak the left side muffler.

Btw, is everybody seeing pictures that I posted properly?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Glad to see you're making the most of your M5 experience in Germany. You will have to take the car back to Italy at some point: driving through the Dolomites and Alps (Stelvio, Furka, and many other passes) was a truly amazing experience in the M5!

Really enjoying this read - thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great post. I read it all today like a good book. Keep it coming!
Glad you enjoyed it!

Glad to see you're making the most of your M5 experience in Germany. You will have to take the car back to Italy at some point: driving through the Dolomites and Alps (Stelvio, Furka, and many other passes) was a truly amazing experience in the M5!

Really enjoying this read - thanks!
Thank you! Have you done that trip yourself? Sounds like a lifetime experience.
It's definitely on my bucket list, that and the Transfagarasan highway in Romania. I was hoping to buy the M5 in Italy and drive it back to Germany, but Italy doesn't have export plates like Germany does so transport on a truck was the only option.

I realize I haven't shared any pictures of my old beast. 05/2000 Le Mans blue on Silverstone - my favorite M5 combo. It had a bit over 100k miles when I sold it.

The option that I miss the most is double glazed windows/comfort windshield - the sound insulation was that much better. Titan trim was nice as well.

And my Californian mile munchers.

Toledo blue '02 530iA Sport - beauty that took me all over Cali and never let me down.

TiAg '05 e46 330Ci 6 speed

Minty '00 Alpine White e38 740iL & TiAg '01 e39 740i Sport

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you! What did you pick up? Also TiAg? Good luck with refreshing your beast!
Yes '01 189K TiAg but not as nearly in good condition as yours. She's rough on the outside but the motor has all it's preventative maintenance to my knowledge and starts up without hesitation, no leaks from what I see.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thank you! Have you done that trip yourself? Sounds like a lifetime experience.
It's definitely on my bucket list, that and the Transfagarasan highway in Romania. I was hoping to buy the M5 in Italy and drive it back to Germany, but Italy doesn't have export plates like Germany does so transport on a truck was the only option.
Yup! Lived in the UK for a few years with many trips to the continent (and the 'ring of course!) My only regret is not having a muffler delete or an aftermarket exhaust for all those amazing Swiss tunnels :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes '01 189K TiAg but not as nearly in good condition as yours. She's rough on the outside but the motor has all it's preventative maintenance to my knowledge and starts up without hesitation, no leaks from what I see.
Keep at it. Doesn't have to be perfect, slowly restore it and just drive the hell out of it.

Yup! Lived in the UK for a few years with many trips to the continent (and the 'ring of course!) My only regret is not having a muffler delete or an aftermarket exhaust for all those amazing Swiss tunnels :)
You are a lucky man! I've been always wondering how would it be to live in the UK as a car guy. Though, not sure if I could ever get used to the right-hand driving.
I can relate to the exhaust, my biggest want was something different in that area and I've been so happy since getting Eisenmann. It makes driving the M5 that much more enjoyable.

Those of you with sharp eyes for details have probably noticed a small ding on the trunk lid - left from the license plates.
I got that taken care of on Friday along with another tiny ding on the rear left door. Those were the only dings on the car.

Paintless dent removal of course - I'm super happy with the results, they removed 100% of both dings and there's no trace that something was there.

Added first aid kit compartment that was missing. Refreshed the content with the kit I bought few months ago for TÜV.

The weather has been kinda ****ty to do anything else so I took the opportunity when it wasn't raining and gave it a nice hand wash.

Gotta keep those jambs clean!

Eisenmann guns are looking really good.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A couple of small updates.

M5 currently sits at 48.250 miles.

I decided to proactively replace front strut mounts and upper bearings as that was one the only thing mentioned by the indy shop that did the clutch job.
Not a terribly difficult job and parts for this are cheap so why not.

I completed this task like Edd China did on a Wheeler Dealer episode with the M5. Disconnected the sway bar link from the strut and compressed the spring without removing the strut from the car. Removed the top nut and lowered the strut to the side which gave me easy access to the strut mount and upper bearing.

This is actually more complicated then it seems as working space is limited and I had to buy 3 different spring compressor until I found the one that could fit safely.
But after sorting out one side, the other one went much smoother.

While the rubber mounts were intact and free of cracks, the yellow bearings were shot. Grease has run out and it was spinning hard and noisy.

I've been down with flue in the meantime and haven't had a chance to properly test drive the car and see if I'll notice any difference.

A while back I cleaned up the interior and treated the leather with Gliptone care. I wanted to try Leatherique but that works best in combination with sun and heat, and given that its middle of winter it probably wouldn't be as effective as it would in the summer.

I've used Gliptone before with good results. I do have to say that it doesn't reinstate the smell of finest quality leather, it's more of a chemical smell if anything. But the smell is gone pretty quickly and results are great. After applying the conditioner the leather appears shiny and it's best to rub it in and leave it to sit overnight. Then the leather becomes matte and soft.

Apart from a couple of scratches on the bottom part of the passenger seat from PO, the interior is in very nice shape.

On March 3rd I'll be recreationally hitting up Hockenheimring - a race track not far away with the M Flight crew. I'm very excited about that. :grin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thank you. I got it of e39 parts car, used but in good condition. I think BMW discounted these as new parts.

There's ton of first aid kits in Europe though, since pretty much every e38/e39 came with one.

Just search on German eBay "e39 verbandskasten" and you should get plenty of results. I paid $18 shipped for mine - for US it will probably be a bit more. You will also need a metal bracket that bolts to the seat, I got it from the dealer - part # 52108176555 ($6) and 2 M8 bolts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Track day that I mentioned earlier never happened, it got canceled due to bad weather. Waiting on the next opportunity.

Got few minor updates though.

Homemade clutch stop which shortens the dead pedal travel and makes for easier and smoother quicking shifting.

I originally ordered the "shorty" clutch stop from the guy on eBay, but after waiting for one month it never got delivered.
I then paid a visit to a local hardware store and found a suitable candidate for my application. It already had a big round head and all I had to do is cut the bolt to 25mm length and it was a perfect fit. Great little mod.

Replaced the windshield rubber seal. The old rubber seal was starting to degrade and showing cracks. Perfect time for a new one.

Ripped the old one out which showed how much grime accumulated over the years.

Thoroughly cleaned the channels and gingerly installed the new seal.

Looking nice and fresh.

Then I started the tedious process of cleaning the engine bay. I'm pretty sure it was never cleaned before and it wasn't an appealing look at what should be a nice looking engine bay.

I'm against pressure washing the engine and went for more longer but safer route. Grabbed Liqui Moly engine compartment cleaner, a German version of Windex, water spray bottle and couple of brushes.

Started with cabin filter housing. I used 303 aerospace protectant to treat the plastic.

Finished the left side of the engine bay before running out of daylight. Picking up where I left off next weekend. It is somewhat satisfying work.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I originally ordered the "shorty" clutch stop from the guy on eBay, but after waiting for one month it never got delivered. I then paid a visit to a local hardware store and found a suitable candidate for my application. It already had a big round head and all I had to do is cut the bolt to 25mm length and it was a perfect fit. Great little mod.
Nice! Do you remember the bolt specs/size?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Subscribing to this thread since it's a brother of my TiAG M5! Nice work here man!
Thank you very much! I'm following your thread as well. :smile

Man your car is clean. Love the options you have (TiAg over black lux leather, classy!) and what you've done with it. The Eisenmann pipes look soooo good!
Thank you. It's not Alpine White, but I do love the classy look of TiAg over black. :laugh Took me a bit to get used to the pipes and now I'm loving the rear end of the car. It suits the M5 very well.

Nice! Do you remember the bolt specs/size?
Why yes. M10 bolt with a total length of 25mm. The head should be also around 20-25mm wide otherwise the clutch pedal might not hit it properly. I tried the smaller one and it would hit the edge of the bolt and twist the pedal.
Unless you can find something very similar, I would suggest you order one from eBay. I think the guy is also on the board, it's cheap and easy.

61 - 80 of 406 Posts