BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

641 - 656 of 656 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 M5 Le Mans Blue
5 Posts
I discovered your awesome YouTube channel after picking up an E39 M5 a little over a month ago. It was a big surprise to find this thread with all your adventures while reading through the forum! Definitely one of my favorite channels.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 · (Edited)
Hola, boys!

Finally a video on the M5.

After 4 months in winter hibernation, I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel again. Completed the annual service on it and finally did the E65 brake master cylinder that I posted on here a couple of years ago. Removed the limiter and went for a blast down the ol' Autobahn. The feeling of getting this thing up to 186 mph is just sensational!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That top speed run is just amazing, love it every time I see it, red with jealousy because we don't have unrestricted roads here :(

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
If they ever impose a speed limit here, it'll be time to move 🤣 it's literally my favorite thing here.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
If they ever impose a speed limit here, it'll be time to move 🤣 it's literally my favorite thing here.
It's been over 10 years now since I've been to Germany, but I got learn how traffic gently encroaches on you from behind as you are approaching "that sign" (unlimited limit) after being in a speed limited section. One time I was wondering what this older women in a Volvo was doing passing me doing maybe 140kph after I had passed her earlier in the 120kph zone, and then there was "that sign" and time for hammer down. After a couple of times, I began to understand what was going to be just ahead. :) The very best road drivers I've ever seen were in Germany. It reminded me of advanced/instructor track sessions at a track event here in the States in terms of driver control/knowledge/awareness. Felt right at home, and it was disheartening to have to drive interstates here again upon return.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Canada! I enjoy your thorugh posts and youtube videos. I just finished the same maintenance with Koni yellows and OEM springs with all new control arms, perches etc. I still have to tighten everyhting up front in with the suspesnion loaded. However I am noticing that it's currently sitting a bit higher. I'm assuming the suspesnion will settle after a bit? Did you notice this? Also I am interested in the VANOS maintenance you did. Did the car drive better after or was it purely preventative?

·
Registered
'02 M5 - 354/05SW
47 Posts
Hola, boys!

Finally a video on the M5.

After 4 months in winter hibernation, I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel again. Completed the annual service on it and finally did the E65 brake master cylinder that I posted on here a couple of years ago. Removed the limiter and went for a blast down the ol' Autobahn. The feeling of getting this thing up to 186 mph is just sensational!
What's the 5w50 you used in the service?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sreten you are slacking here, but certainly not on your channel, enjoyed all of your recent V12 E31 vids. Re-threading the spark plugs was awesome. I too had the eagle eye and caught that flicker happening near the left headlight and thought it might be some kind of spark! Glad it was just a piece of shiny plastic, LOL.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 ·
Thank you! I'm slacking with posts on here, very true. I forgot to share that I got another beast!

Swedish E39 M5, LMB paint, same as mine and also very close in production date, 12/00 and mine is 09/00. Best of all, another slicktop!

What's the 5w50 you used in the service?
Motul.

Hello from Canada! I enjoy your thorugh posts and youtube videos. I just finished the same maintenance with Koni yellows and OEM springs with all new control arms, perches etc. I still have to tighten everyhting up front in with the suspesnion loaded. However I am noticing that it's currently sitting a bit higher. I'm assuming the suspesnion will settle after a bit? Did you notice this? Also I am interested in the VANOS maintenance you did. Did the car drive better after or was it purely preventative?
It'll settle after driving. Preventive, but it drove noticeably better after.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,688 Posts
Sreten I have a video idea/request. Since you have two beasts that were built before the VANOS spring plate update, maybe you could do that plus cam timing. That could be as epic as your Raleigh rod bearings video.

·
Registered
'02 M5 - 354/05SW
47 Posts
Would be really cool to see an oil analysis on your recent switch to Motul 5w-50. Would you consider making a custom catback for the car, or will this get the Eisenmann treatment. Asking because it's such a hard pill to swallow to spend $2.2k USD on a set of mufflers. Wish some were more willing to experiment with other options, including custom work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Would be really cool to see an oil analysis on your recent switch to Motul 5w-50. Would you consider making a custom catback for the car, or will this get the Eisenmann treatment. Asking because it's such a hard pill to swallow to spend $2.2k USD on a set of mufflers. Wish some were more willing to experiment with other options, including custom work.
I think the reason you don’t see aftermarket cans is simply cause, A. good muffler are $$, and there are already a number of options in the $600 (ebay) > $2500 range, and B. These cars sound phenomenal with simple rear muffler deletions with new pipes/tips - so there really isn’t a whole lot of benefit to custom fab.

….And if you want it quiet, then in the words of sreten, you keep it classy, keep it oem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As an aside, sreten and the other guys on here, thank you for your investigation into the e65 mc upgrade. I can’t wait to try this out. I’ve always found my m5 brakes (stock config) to be terribly soft, especially in comparison to my older e39 touring.

641 - 656 of 656 Posts