BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

621 - 640 of 656 Posts

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,688 Posts
Interesting to see the crud blocked CCV drain tube. I have always wondered if that could be a problem on my M5 but there is no way to check without removing the thermostat, which I haven't needed to do yet. And I've never seen a thread mentioning these tubes, even though it seems everyone is burning a good bit of oil.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Interesting to see the crud blocked CCV drain tube. I have always wondered if that could be a problem on my M5 but there is no way to check without removing the thermostat, which I haven't needed to do yet. And I've never seen a thread mentioning these tubes, even though it seems everyone is burning a good bit of oil.
I believe the CCV system on the E39 M5 is a much better design than the one on the E46 M54. There are 2 oil separating cyclones, one for each bank, they're pretty much right up front and center, without a lot of drastic bends, and I can honestly say that I've never seen so much as a peep of white mayo inside my M5's oil cap, or on the bottom of the dipstick, compared to the frequent occasion, especially in winter, of seeing this on my E46 330i.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,688 Posts
I'm referring to the hard pipe that drains recovered oil from the cyclones to the sump. I could imagine gunk building up which would lead to more oil vapor going to the plenum. The pipe is buried behind the Tstat. Part 5.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ahhh so that's the dipstick drain tube on the M5.. interesting. I can say that I have already replaced the #16 tubes on both separators and there were zero signs of anything clogging them, just that the rubber was getting a bit old.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,688 Posts
5 is not the dipstick tube. Its a hard line that drains the cyclones to the sump. I have never seen a thread that talks about this item.

·
Registered
301 Posts
5 is not the dipstick tube. Its a hard line that drains the cyclones to the sump. I have never seen a thread that talks about this item.
That's true, I've never seen anything mentioned about that tube. Of course that could be a good thing I think? I plan on removing mine and looking it over when I do the cooling system overhaul and replacing the pump and oil seperator lines. I might even get a new one as a spare for the hell of it since it's still a cheaper part, unlike the fuel breather valve, ouch!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #628 ·
Part 3 of project Cologne, E46 Touring is up!

It's roadworthy again and I already put about 280 miles on it when I went to pick up the rear bumper for the E38.
There's still a lot to do as I want to do some upgrades so there will be more videos!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was recently watching Part 3 of Project Dubai when I got to the part where you changed the swing arm bushings. I'm actually pondering doing this myself on my E39 M5.

As I'm sure you know, the swing arm bushings are not readily available from Lemfoerder for the E39. I noticed that you used Febest bushings on the E38. I was wondering what your experience with it has been so far? I'm slightly hesitant to go for the Febest bushings, there seems to be hit and miss opinions for the Febest brand itself. Sadly, there are not many options for rubber bushings.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
Well, Febst is crap in general but for E38 there is no other alternative. I think one of them is available from Lemforder but the other one not. I read on bimmerboard that these held up good for a good amount of people which is why I got them in the end. I'm still hesitant and I look at them every time I'm under the car and they are still looking perfect.

New video on the Touring is out!

Pretty long one. :)

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,688 Posts
The longer the better :LOL: Great video as always. Especially love seeing electrical stuff getting done.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Amazing transformation. What the heck can you go out and buy today for $20 grand that has this level of prowess and comfort? NOTHING. Timeless gorgeous design, ultimate long trip highway cruiser. Congrats on going into your hobby full time! I am sure you will be successful based on your track record thus far..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Agree with Trizzuth. I'd happily take that beauty in a heartbeat over any new car today. Especially knowing what you did to restore it to it's former glory. There's a damn good reason why even today the E38 is considered BMW at it's best. Because it IS!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My god man, just made my way through that video and holy Shhhhh F that car! If you weren't doing this for your channel and due to your love of fixing these cars to make them whole again, would you do it if it were not your own car just to flip and sell it? Does not seem like buying one of these used, paying all that cake to make it whole and perfect again would ever put you on the positive side of a profit in the end, and if it did, it seems like it would be so small, it wouldn't be worth it, maybe a few hundo or a thousand or two profit?! all that work! damn!

Do you plan to keep or sell this one and move it on? Since you are making it so new and whole again (better than new actually) perhaps might be best just to store it, not drive it and move it on in a few years when the well sorted good running E60 M5's are extremely rare and more desirable at that point.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #638 ·
The best thing I could've done with this car, talking from a financial perspective, was to sell it after I fixed the misfire for $50. The car cost me a little under 10k to bring it to Germany and I could've sold it back then for 20k in a blink of an eye and make a quick profit.

But if there ever was an E60 M5 to own, that's this one. Cheap 6-speed with a clean title, I'll never find a deal like this one ever again.

I plan to keep it long-term. Get it mechanically sorted and then just enjoy it for what it is, a screaming V10 4-door paired with a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plan to keep it long-term. Get it mechanically sorted and then just enjoy it for what it is, a screaming V10 4-door paired with a manual gearbox.
Having driven the E39Source 6-speed swapped E60 M5 on a few special occasions, it's an amazing combination, for sure. The gearbox is so smooth, the engine screams, and the steering is miles ahead of the E39. But the ownership and maintenance costs push it right out of contention for me. It's a shame, because the E60 is less rust prone, can be had with a much more modern infotainment system, and is in many ways technically superior to the E39.

But $3500 in throttle actuators and $5000 in rod bearings, in parts alone? Eek. You've got to be a martyr for it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thank god you found the oil pump and vanos carnage I can see how easily that would be to overlook since it's all sealed up and the last thing you want to do after doing those rod bearings is take more **** apart!

621 - 640 of 656 Posts