BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

581 - 600 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Just watched it and enjoyed it greatly!

I'm surprised your vacuum leak wasn't detected by TÜV?

Also I'm digging the new logo. :)
Thanks! They don't take things apart and the car was running fine despite that.

I'm still not sold on the logo, I feel like there's a way to improve it but can't put my finger on it. :D

Awesome video!!! I really really enjoyed that one!! Watched at 4am while up feeding our newborn and trying to get him to sleep! He better grow up loving old BMW’s!!!

The German tuv sounds tough! We have similar here with the MOT but the regulations about modifications are a lot slacker!

Man the guys who worked on that before were butchers, amazing to watch you bring it back to life, e38 e39 e46 was peak bmw, their new stuff with those hideous grills makes me sick.
Thanks, man! Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, it's sad what BMW has become. The new 4 series is just horrendous.

·
Registered
909 Posts
What was the main reason for swapping the intake manifolds? Was that vacuum pipe fix so bad it messed up that area? Seems like you could powerwash the sh*t out of them and they would look almost new..

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
I could've replaced the pipe but they were just ugly and had marks on them like this.

20200609_170459.jpg

Replacement ones were like $50 so might as well.

Btw, both E31 videos recently topped 1 million views each! Absolutely amazing!

Thumbss.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome! That's because you have the best automotive channel on YouTube at the moment (in my opinion). Your videos have personality (and great production value), you have serious wrenching skills, and your stories are great. Keep killing it! If you made videos more often (which is probably a huge effort), your subs would go through the roof. Continued success!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well slap me silly and call me Willy!

Lol I love this sh*t.

Nice job with the intake manifolds, you will have good BMW karma forever now. Perhaps it will come into effect with the E60 M5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Educational, no fluff, proper camera / mic use, and some comedic touches.

A+ channel in my book.

Reactions: sreten

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Thank you, fellas! I really appreciate it!

Carly just approached me regarding sponsorship. What the general opinion on them? I never used it and I heard some good and not so good things about them.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
They are good overall. They enjoy good rep among BMW enthusiasts.

Reactions: sreten

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
I went last Saturday to the tire shop to fit new rear tires. Before I actually drove in, I cleaned the lip on the rims so their condition can be seen and grabbed the guy and told him that the rims were freshly refinished last year and don't have a single scratch on them. I asked if he can replace the tires without scratching them and he answered " Of course, no problem. I've been doing this for 30 years..."

Welp.

He successfully butchered the rear right rim. I wasn't even angry at first as much as I was heartbroken. I just couldn't believe it...
Year of research to find a place that can refinish them to original Chrome Shadow, sending them to Poland, I ceramic coated them and took great care of them not to scratch them and then this idiot comes along and f*cks them up.

Best of all, he's instant reaction was that it wasn't done by him! No way! It was obvious he was lying but then the boss showed up and started accusing me of how I came here on purpose to ask for money and for them to refinish my wheels. Just incredible. After much arguing, they still wouldn't admit it was their mistake but said to leave the rim with them and they would refinish it. I told them it's not normal paint, not everyone can repaint them but pointless... I left sad and angry and don't plan to ever go back there. Now I just want to snap that dumbass in half.

Now I need to send both rims from that side of the car to Poland and they'll try to repaint the rear one to the same shade of Chrome Shadow to match the front one. If they can't match it, they'll need to repaint both rims.

This is the main reason why I try to do whatever I can on my own, over the years I learned you just can't trust anyone.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
Back to the E38. I lowered the front with Eibach springs. I think as far as the ride height goes, this is perfect.

Most importantly, the ride is still nice and comfy which was my biggest concern.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
I wrapped the headliner in Alcantara. Turned out fantastic! Anyone who's followed this thread knows I've done this on the M5 last year and I did get wrinkles and creases in the finish, especially around the handle pockets. That was a big learning experience and this time I went with the same glue but sprayable so it went much easier and quicker. Technicoll 9145 Plus.
I gave it my best shot and managed to do it without any wrinkles or creases in Alcantara! I did get few small lines in front of the dome light but that's pretty much unavoidable and it goes up against the windshield so it can't be seen in the car.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #592

Wrapped the sunroof lid as well.

Small ultrasonic cover.

This one I just painted with fabric spray. It's too thin for Alcantara.

Replacement black sunvisor and plastic painted to black.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #593

Replaced the steering wheel. I went with a smaller and modern looking steering wheel from Facelift E39. This one is from a 60k mile car and the leather is mint.
The old one was so big it felt like driving a bus. I think this one suits it really well.

Oh, it's also finally registered and can be driven on the streets of Germany! It's been 11 months since I imported it from Dubai and just now I bagged the first drive on the Autobahn and first grocery shopping. It drives so smooth and comfortable.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,525 Posts
Welp. Guess you are going to have to get your own tire changing equipment!
This kind of thing is definitely why I got into DIY. I had an E46 325xi with a droopy drivers side headlight. Took it to a shop many years ago for an oil change and said, while it's here can you fix my headlight? They said no, they needed a special alignment tool for that. (Huh?) A few years later I asked them again to take a look at it. When I picked the car up they said they had a little trouble on one side but they think they got it fixed. Hmmm, I only asked them to re-aim the drivers side.
When I got home and was walking into the house, lo and behold, the PASSENGER side turn signal lamp is out of the car, dangling from the wires by the front bumper!
So I go online, learn how to replace the lamp, and while I'm at it, learn how to re-aim headlights using the simple adjuster knobs!!! LMAO. And this was at an IMPORT auto shop! Last time I let them touch any of my cars. Idiots!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Man I feel you with the wheel situation. You should tell those asshats you will give them the set they F'd up and they can go find you a brand new set, and GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!

Back when I had my E46, I had purchased a set of beat up ZHP wheels and spent the entire winter painstakingly refinishing them. Granted this was all done by me, no professional but I fixed all curb rash with a filler kit, sanded them down so they were properly prepped for finish, gave them several coats of black primer, then some silver and clear and to be frank I think just about replicated the shadow chrome finish on Style 65's! Was pumped, took them to shop, very carefully explained to these dudes and showed them that the wheels were staggered, and tires were staggered and specifically left each wheel with its corresponding tire (tires were also directional). One tire goes on one wheel in one direction, simple. I also told them they had been refinished and were absolutely perfect, did not want damage to wheels (knowing they were just rattle canned, I should have just expected damage up front, rattle canning a job will not take any sort of damage without chipping).

So I go pick them up, CRAZY nervous. I get them, there are a few small marks, I'm pissed, but then I get MOAR pissed cause I realize the morons friggin mounted the front tires on the rear wheels and the rear tires on the front wheels and NOW HAVE TO F***ING take them off again and re-mount them!!!! The remount job was worse, ended up with one wheel badly damaged, a scratch across the entire wheel face and that one had to be re-re-finished again for certain. Nothing bursts your bubble more than the anticipation of slapping new wheels and tires on your car and now having to wait god knows how long to refinish it YET AGAIN!!!

He told me he'd wipe the cost of mount/balance which was $100, I said (knowing that I had rattle canned them), ok, fine, still pissed but I'd take it. Went home and had to re-do that wheel and it took me a few days then they were on the car.

Your E38 sure is sitting pretty right there!

·
Registered
575 Posts
The wheel damage is extra frustrating for you given the logistics of having to send the wheels outside the country. :(

Seems like other than showing the tire shop before any work and having their condition documented (similar to a dealer), it's a crap shoot whether the store will take care of the customer. I got lucky when America's Tire damaged one of mine and they paid to have it fixed by the same shop that refinished them, but still a waste of time.

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search and tire changing machines are several thousands of dollars which, for how little they get used, is a tough pill to swallow. Unless you can get sponsored by one? :)

That E38 is looking like serious business by the way! I bet if you put on a suit, you could easily drive into any embassy for a state dinner. Ask 'em to park out it front. ;)

·
Registered
909 Posts
This guy would definitely get the use out of the tire changing/ balancing machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I went last Saturday to the tire shop to fit new rear tires. Before I actually drove in, I cleaned the lip on the rims so their condition can be seen and grabbed the guy and told him that the rims were freshly refinished last year and don't have a single scratch on them. I asked if he can replace the tires without scratching them and he answered " Of course, no problem. I've been doing this for 30 years..."

Welp.

He successfully butchered the rear right rim. I wasn't even angry at first as much as I was heartbroken. I just couldn't believe it...
Year of research to find a place that can refinish them to original Chrome Shadow, sending them to Poland, I ceramic coated them and took great care of them not to scratch them and then this idiot comes along and f*cks them up.

Best of all, he's instant reaction was that it wasn't done by him! No way! It was obvious he was lying but then the boss showed up and started accusing me of how I came here on purpose to ask for money and for them to refinish my wheels. Just incredible. After much arguing, they still wouldn't admit it was their mistake but said to leave the rim with them and they would refinish it. I told them it's not normal paint, not everyone can repaint them but pointless... I left sad and angry and don't plan to ever go back there. Now I just want to snap that dumbass in half.

Now I need to send both rims from that side of the car to Poland and they'll try to repaint the rear one to the same shade of Chrome Shadow to match the front one. If they can't match it, they'll need to repaint both rims.

This is the main reason why I try to do whatever I can on my own, over the years I learned you just can't trust anyone.
Man, that is really unfortunate, but I can't say that I was not in your position before. It is almost as if you need to do the research on the tire changing places as much as you do on the wheel refinishing places nowadays! They hire those school dropouts that only know how to pick their own noses, don't provide any training, and then let them work on your expensive car. They have no understanding of VALUE, cause they never owned anything of value. Pisses me off royally!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I like the new steering wheel much better!

I also am very impressed with your alcantara work on the headliner. I have re-done my headliner with stock fabric on my E36M last year, and I went exactly what you went through, only the fabric that BMW uses on their headliners is much stretchier than alcantara, so I know what it takes - you did an excellent job.

Headliner 2 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
Welp. Guess you are going to have to get your own tire changing equipment!
This kind of thing is definitely why I got into DIY. I had an E46 325xi with a droopy drivers side headlight. Took it to a shop many years ago for an oil change and said, while it's here can you fix my headlight? They said no, they needed a special alignment tool for that. (Huh?) A few years later I asked them again to take a look at it. When I picked the car up they said they had a little trouble on one side but they think they got it fixed. Hmmm, I only asked them to re-aim the drivers side.
When I got home and was walking into the house, lo and behold, the PASSENGER side turn signal lamp is out of the car, dangling from the wires by the front bumper!
So I go online, learn how to replace the lamp, and while I'm at it, learn how to re-aim headlights using the simple adjuster knobs!!! LMAO. And this was at an IMPORT auto shop! Last time I let them touch any of my cars. Idiots!!
There's nothing worse than when a person working on your car hates his job and doesn't care one bit. Tire changing equipment is on the list one day, but currently I wouldn't have space where to put it.

Man I feel you with the wheel situation. You should tell those asshats you will give them the set they F'd up and they can go find you a brand new set, and GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!

Back when I had my E46, I had purchased a set of beat up ZHP wheels and spent the entire winter painstakingly refinishing them. Granted this was all done by me, no professional but I fixed all curb rash with a filler kit, sanded them down so they were properly prepped for finish, gave them several coats of black primer, then some silver and clear and to be frank I think just about replicated the shadow chrome finish on Style 65's! Was pumped, took them to shop, very carefully explained to these dudes and showed them that the wheels were staggered, and tires were staggered and specifically left each wheel with its corresponding tire (tires were also directional). One tire goes on one wheel in one direction, simple. I also told them they had been refinished and were absolutely perfect, did not want damage to wheels (knowing they were just rattle canned, I should have just expected damage up front, rattle canning a job will not take any sort of damage without chipping).

So I go pick them up, CRAZY nervous. I get them, there are a few small marks, I'm pissed, but then I get MOAR pissed cause I realize the morons friggin mounted the front tires on the rear wheels and the rear tires on the front wheels and NOW HAVE TO F***ING take them off again and re-mount them!!!! The remount job was worse, ended up with one wheel badly damaged, a scratch across the entire wheel face and that one had to be re-re-finished again for certain. Nothing bursts your bubble more than the anticipation of slapping new wheels and tires on your car and now having to wait god knows how long to refinish it YET AGAIN!!!

He told me he'd wipe the cost of mount/balance which was $100, I said (knowing that I had rattle canned them), ok, fine, still pissed but I'd take it. Went home and had to re-do that wheel and it took me a few days then they were on the car.

Your E38 sure is sitting pretty right there!
That sucks! Frustration is relatable, wasting time and money because someone is careless.

I like the new steering wheel much better!

I also am very impressed with your alcantara work on the headliner. I have re-done my headliner with stock fabric on my E36M last year, and I went exactly what you went through, only the fabric that BMW uses on their headliners is much stretchier than alcantara, so I know what it takes - you did an excellent job.
Thanks! That's a stellar job as well! I see you also used proper glue, I know a lot of people use spray can glue and no matter what brand, that thing just doesn't last.

581 - 600 of 602 Posts