BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

541 - 560 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
He's working on changing it. We'll see how it looks.

The new video is up with the M5. Did the thrust arms and rear brakes with Euro floating rotors.

I was planning to max it out but only later it came to me that when I flashed the DME last year to make the newer Vanos accumulator work, it brought back the stupid limiter. Will be removing that soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesome work as usual buddy! I love your videos, so happy to see your subscribers going up your channel is one of the best on YouTube.

Have you anything up your sleeve atm? Been on autoscout lately?!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
Thanks, man! The channel is growing really healthy. Pretty excited about it.

Well, E60 M5 is bumbling across the ocean.

Capture.JPG

In other exciting news, I've been asked to work on not one but two 850CSi's!

One from Norway, Tobago 850CSi that's been off the road since around 2009, this should be a collab with Alec Cartio from SoCalEights. The idea is for me to do some repairs on it before it heads for California.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-06 at 21.54.01.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-06 at 21.54.27.jpeg

The other one is here in Germany, garage find Brilliant Red 850CSi. A viewer reached out to me saying he inherited this car and it's been off the road for the last 7-8 years and would like me to revive it.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-07 at 09.01.12.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-08 at 15.21.38.jpeg

Two incredible cars. I've never seen or driven a CSi, I can't tell you how humbled I am by this opportunity. Nothing is sure yet though and we are trying to figure details for both cars.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
Just got an E46!

I've been sporadically looking for one, wanted 325i or 330i touring with a manual. This one popped up yesterday. 2002, Turquoise gray (didn't even know that color existed) on gray leather, 325i 5-speed, pretty standard equipment and supposedly without rust. 124k miles but service book is fake so I'm not sure if those are original.

I didn't see it yet, a friend of mine bought it for me in Cologne as I didn't have time to go myself. Paid $1.200, should make for a great winter beater as I planning to put the M5 in hibernation during wintertime. I just can't expose it to salt anymore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like it

Agree with posts above if it’s too much like the bmw logo they will hunt you down.

Cannot wait for the content!!! Some awesome awesome projects there!!! Any chance you’d take a sick m5 from ireland in to the stable too?!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thoughts?
I like the concept but would not recommend showing M539 twice in the same logo. Your presence is deservedly growing and since your restorations are clearly not limited to E39s, do you still want that to be the focus? On one hand restoring an E39 M5 is "where it all started" but clearly that's not what defines you given the recent work.

When I tell people about you, I refer to you as "the guy who restores BMWs" more than just E39s, but I guess your YouTube Channel is already set with that name, so maybe you don't want to change it.

Would leaving the circle blue without any text look too empty?

Also seems like you're specializing in restoring E-series BMWs as I doubt you'll dabble in any F- or G-Series cars, but that's kinda obvious these days. So somehow specifying that probably isn't necessary.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
I like the concept but would not recommend showing M539 twice in the same logo. Your presence is deservedly growing and since your restorations are clearly not limited to E39s, do you still want that to be the focus? On one hand restoring an E39 M5 is "where it all started" but clearly that's not what defines you given the recent work.

When I tell people about you, I refer to you as "the guy who restores BMWs" more than just E39s, but I guess your YouTube Channel is already set with that name, so maybe you don't want to change it.

Would leaving the circle blue without any text look too empty?

Also seems like you're specializing in restoring E-series BMWs as I doubt you'll dabble in any F- or G-Series cars, but that's kinda obvious these days. So somehow specifying that probably isn't necessary.

My $0.02.
Thanks, Kiz. Appreciate this feedback.

I don't like the fact that it says M539 twice either so I'm not gonna go with this one. We tried with just one above or in the middle and it looks too empty. For now I'm just experimenting, not in a hurry.

To be honest, I had no idea what to name the channel in the beginning. Just wanted something catchy that has Restorations in it. I like the fact that E39 M5 in German registration system and documents is noted as M539 so I went with it. I never expected channel to grow so big so I'm kinda stuck with it now and it's grown on me.

I do work on all E-series models but what would I change it to now and is it too late. Kinda doubt I'll dabble with F or G cars as well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #550
I like it

Agree with posts above if it’s too much like the bmw logo they will hunt you down.

Cannot wait for the content!!! Some awesome awesome projects there!!! Any chance you’d take a sick m5 from ireland in to the stable too?!
Thanks!!

If the steering wheel is on the correct side, yes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great work on the videos! Glad to see your following is growing.

I had a question regarding the floating rotors on the E39. I saw that you installed new ones on your car. Here in the US, they're almost impossible to find now (US had non-floating rotors as stock sadly). I've been told that the floating rotors are being discontinued and that soon even Euro cars may be forced into fixed rotors. Can you share where you were able to purchase them from?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #553
Hello buddy hope you are working hard on some new videos during this lockdown!!

On a serious note hope you are keeping healthy and safe!!
Thanks, man! I'm well. There was no lockdown in Germany so I was able to get a lot done. Working on the next video.

Great work on the videos! Glad to see your following is growing.

I had a question regarding the floating rotors on the E39. I saw that you installed new ones on your car. Here in the US, they're almost impossible to find now (US had non-floating rotors as stock sadly). I've been told that the floating rotors are being discontinued and that soon even Euro cars may be forced into fixed rotors. Can you share where you were able to purchase them from?
Thank you!

Left rotor - Zimmermann 150.3455.75 - ZIMMERMANN Bremsscheibe FORMULA Z COAT Z (150.3455.75) | Lott Autoteile
Right rotor - Zimmermann 150.3456.75 - ZIMMERMANN Bremsscheibe FORMULA Z COAT Z (150.3456.75) | Lott Autoteile

They are readily available from various sellers in Germany.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love your YouTube channel! I just recently bought a 2001 with 74000km. Car passed inspection in Sweden 3 months ago so suspect it is not bad. However, what are the first things to look at in your opinion? Probably more related to age than kms.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #555
A lot of stuff to write on that topic, there's a lot of info on this board that you should research and also look up some work that I've done in this thread. With 74k km I expect it won't have much wrong with it, just age-related stuff.

Part 3 of project Dubai is live! Fixed a few things in this one and smashed a pair of hateful cheap taillights, I hate seeing these on E38's as much as I do seeing Depo headlights on E39.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #556
Winnie d turd has landed in Frankfurt!

It's pretty much what I expected. The bumper needs to be replaced, some dings here and there, the doors on the left side are a different color, the interior is disgustingly filthy...
Bunch of lights on the dash but it runs and drives, the engine is misfiring and idling high but sounds healthy. No crazy noises. Clutch feels really good.

I didn't have time for a thorough inspection, just quickly pulled the codes from DME: coolant temp sensor, thermostat and misfires...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
Overall clean from underneath. Rear sway bar link is not stock, oil leak that's coming from the oil drain plug and a leak from one of the power steering lines. That's it, I expected far more leaks to he honest. Tires are good but older, front and rear rotors have a lip and there's a clunk coming from the front suspension.

I got really excited when I saw Superpsrint on the exhaust thinking it might have SS headers but nien, just SS decat pipes. The welding was done very well and the car sounds amazing, not too loud but you can hear that V10 singing properly.

Now, I don't know a lot on this topic but from what I read the car needs to be tuned once the cats are removed otherwise it'll throw CEL. I know the last owner didn't do it so I can only assume it was done at some point.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go back to stock and reinstate primary cats as it won't be able to pass German emission inspection like this. I already found headers with stock cats that have low miles so I can just swap them out but then I'll need to go back to the factory tune.

I definitely have work cut out with this M5 but all in all, I think I did pretty well considering how much I paid. It'll clean up nicely once I'm done with it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Winnie d turd lolol.

Super stoked to see you restore this bad boy back to it's former glory. Nice to see it be given the proper care it deserves.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

541 - 560 of 577 Posts